BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYCO on 6th Avenue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: NYCO on 6th Avenue Reply with quote

Remember when 6th Avenue was a two way street?

2702.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.89 KB
 Viewed:  10727 Time(s)

2702.jpg

X-Astorian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: NYCO on 6th Avenue Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Remember when 6th Avenue was a two way street?

I really don't remember 6th Avenue as two-way (and I'm older than you) but I do recall when Broadway was two-way and that's what we're looking at uptown toward Times Square. Thanks for the great photo though.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MaBSTOA 15, for posting the photo of Broadway just west of Herald "Square" (triangle). Note the painted white line on Broadway. Unless I was mistaken, Henry Barnes extensively added lines to NYC thoroughfares. I will have to look at older photos to see if the line was there before he began his career as NY traffic commissioner in 1962.
Joe
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixth Avenue a/k/a Avenue of the Americas became a one-way street on March 10, 1957 as per the linked Wikipedia Article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Avenue_(Manhattan)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.I.N.M., the conversion in 1957 was only north of Herald Square. As well, Broadway between Herald Square and Columbus Circle was converted to one-way southbound that same day, ditto for the rest of Seventh Avenue north of Times Square (evidently that photo along Herald Square looking at Broadway was taken before then). The remainder of Sixth Avenue, south of Herald Square, didn't get converted till Nov. 10, 1963. (Seventh Avenue south of Times Square, and Eighth Avenue below Columbus Circle, had been respectfully converted June 6, 1954.)

I presume these bus routes, all under the operating aegis of Fifth Avenue Coach Lines' NYCO Division in those days, would have been affected by the 1957 conversions, let me know if this would be correct, or if not please advise to what was:
- #5 (Sixth Avenue) - From its 59th Street northern terminus, southbound buses travel south on Seventh Avenue and then Broadway to 34th Street
- #6 (Broadway-Seventh Avenue) - Northbound buses travel north on Sixth between 34th and 59th Streets
- #7 (Broadway-Columbus-Lenox) - Northbound buses turn onto Sixth at 34th Street, then run west on 55th and then north on Eighth, Broadway and Amsterdam Avenues . . . (that was more true, as the Nov. 5, 1963 Times article referring to the later conversion mentioned that the 7 up to that point traveled north on Sixth above 34th Street, and from the 1963 conversion after reaching its then-southern terminus at 23rd Street and Broadway, would turn west on 23rd and then north on Sixth [when, I ask, was its westbound path from Sixth shifted from 55th to 59th Street, and its eastbound path from Columbus/Ninth to Seventh moved from 54th to 58th Street?])

But the conversion of key avenues to one-way actually began before the Dept. of Traffic was even created, with the 1948 and 1951 conversions in stages of Ninth/Columbus and Tenth/Amsterdam Avenues, and the 1951 conversions of First and Second Avenues. Quite a few one-way conversions between 1954 and 1960 under T. T. Wiley's reign as Traffic Commissioner, including this first stage of Sixth Avenue's conversion. The major conversions were finished under Barnes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: