BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Jamaica # 607'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: 'Jamaica # 607' Reply with quote

Pictured below is Jamaica Buses # 607 in what is probably a factory photo taken at T & C in Pontiac, Michigan.

# 607 is a TDH 5106 (ser # 0345) delivered to the company in February of 1955 along with nine others (603 to 606 and 608 to 612).

Notice the 'copyrighted' Green Line livery which was also borrowed by both Triboro Coach and Surface Transportation.

# 607 found its final assigments as Green Line # 912 (also pictured below).

A sad ending for such a beautiful piece of equipment.

On a personal note; I remember these buses on the Far Rockaway run as though it were yesterday, and the black and white photo doesn't describe the rich dark brown and cream coloring with red pin striping that made them the most gorgeous things on six wheels!

# 607 photo by Michael Eshner and supplied with the courtesy of Dennis Linsky.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a kid in the 1960's, I always liked to visit "downtown Jamaica".
There were then (as there are now) buses prowling around and standing curbside just about everywhere. I definitely remember those JBI 5106's (plus the Old Look Macks that JBI had). You always saw them at the stand located on the west side of Parsons Blvd. between Hillside and 89th Avenues, close by the IND subway station. During horse racing season, many were headed to either Aqueduct or Belmont Racetracks. That red and cream livery was sharp. I also remember around that same timeframe seeing a Volkswagen ad in either Life or Look magazine; it showed the VW bus alongside a JBI 5106 with a caption that read, "We took our design from the big boys." For a number of years, JBI used a head-on photo of a 5106 for the big ads they had in the Queens Yellow Pages. Thanks for stirring up some old-time memories, Mr. L!
Cyberider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful bus, indeed. Too bad most have to meet their fate as in the second photo. It's a shame that their replacements aren't as nice and don't last as long.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: 'Jamaica # 607" Reply with quote

You know, Green Line, Triboro Coach, Queens Transit (the orange buses), Fifth Avenue Coach and Surface Transportation all had 5106's, and every one of them being 'regal' looking.

But, for some reason, Jamaica's models cried out for an artist to reproduce them in oil on canvas!

I know it sounds ridiculous, but they were works of art!

There was one thing that I remember about the Rockaway run (and if you're familiar with that part of Nassau County, you'll appreciate my memory);

It was the turn onto Mott Avenue from Rockaway Turnpike (which it is known as in the county) that really gave the forty footers a problem! - this was the 'traffic stopper' because they needed the entire width of the street to negotiate that maneuver! - very difficult in the summer rush!

All good memories!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 'Jamaica # 607" Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

There was one thing that I remember about the Rockaway run (and if you're familiar with that part of Nassau County, you'll appreciate my memory);

It was the turn onto Mott Avenue from Rockaway Turnpike (which it is known as in the county) that really gave the forty footers a problem! - this was the 'traffic stopper' because they needed the entire width of the street to negotiate that maneuver! - very difficult in the summer rush!

All good memories!

I haven't had the pleasure but I can picture the driver making the turn with "armstrong" steering. Sounds like you enjoyed it, at least in retrospect!
B53RICH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned to Mr. L some time back that I had seen some Old Looks in the 900 series on the Q10 around 1980 or so. Those probably were the ones that I had seen, riding along side the brand new RTS's. It was kind of odd that those Old Looks were running with the then futuristic looking RTS's. Another way of seeing it, Grandfathers handing the ropes over to their Grandsons.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
I mentioned to Mr. L some time back that I had seen some Old Looks in the 900 series on the Q10 around 1980 or so. Those probably were the ones that I had seen, riding along side the brand new RTS's. It was kind of odd that those Old Looks were running with the then futuristic looking RTS's. Another way of seeing it, Grandfathers handing the ropes over to their Grandsons.

Imagine seeing a 20+ year old bus in service today!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTA Bus had plenty until recently! 1837, ex-Green Lines 1101, exx-NYCTA 3503 made it to 23.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:

B53RICH,

I remember our conversation and, at the time, I was unaware of the existance of these 900's and couldn't believe Green Line inparticular would run anything that old!

But apparently they did and, with a little TLC, they could probably still be running today!

The funny part of it is that Green Line had bought ten 5106's (151 to 160) in 1959 and turned around and sold them overnight! I'll never be able to figure that one out!

ripta42 mentioned that ex Green Line # 1101 made it to twenty three years.

I don't see 1101 on the GBL roster but if it were either an RTS or a Classic it's understandable because even though they may have been made by TMC or whoever, they still had the 'GM' backbone and guts designed into them - and nothing on earth can beat a GM bus! (of course, that's open to interpretation! - but that's my feeling!).

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Rockaway, NY
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
I don't see 1101 on the GBL roster but if it were either an RTS or a Classic it's understandable because even though they may have been made by TMC or whoever, they still had the 'GM' backbone and guts designed into them - and nothing on earth can beat a GM bus! (of course, that's open to interpretation! - but that's my feeling!).

It's 1984 RTS. It didn't come to Green until 2004.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
As a kid in the 1960's, I always liked to visit "downtown Jamaica".
There were then (as there are now) buses prowling around and standing curbside just about everywhere. I definitely remember those JBI 5106's (plus the Old Look Macks that JBI had). You always saw them at the stand located on the west side of Parsons Blvd. between Hillside and 89th Avenues, close by the IND subway station. During horse racing season, many were headed to either Aqueduct or Belmont Racetracks. That red and cream livery was sharp. I also remember around that same timeframe seeing a Volkswagen ad in either Life or Look magazine; it showed the VW bus alongside a JBI 5106 with a caption that read, "We took our design from the big boys." For a number of years, JBI used a head-on photo of a 5106 for the big ads they had in the Queens Yellow Pages. Thanks for stirring up some old-time memories, Mr. L!

Bob,

I remember very well those days in 'dowtown' Jamaica, and the array of buses including Jamaica Twin Coaches and, of course, the Green Line Macks.

Living in Kew Gardens, my brother and I used to hop the Metropolitan Avenue trolley and take it all the way to the Valencia Theater somewhere around 169th. Street and Jamaica Avenue (where the BMT El ended).

The trolley's were fascinating but on the return trip I could never figure out how they managed to switch to Metropolitan Avenue instead of going straight ahead on Jamaica.

BTW; the highlight of those trips were the frankfurters that we grabbed at Needick's on the way home! (remember that?).

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Rockaway, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: