BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paterson-Broadway Terminal/Passaic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal memory:

Back in the early 60's, when the E-L still ran through Passaic's downtown business district, I remember INTER-CITY's terminal (opposite the E-L ROW) that had a large electric sign reading (what I can recall) "BUSSES TO NEW YORK".

I have no idea what is at that location today.......

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
PS #G504 at W. 167th St., circa-1955........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4228

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

Behind G504 is an apartment house on the east side of Audubon Avenue. Notes the white decorations above each window above the tailor shop, not the gabled building to the left.

Now let's look at the same corner 15 years previously, with a White Tower. The same apartment house is in the back. Somebody knocked down the narrow building to the right of White Tower. I think White Tower was moved to the southeast corner.
White Tower

The wall of the bank is north of the White Tower. St. Nicholas Avenue has the tracks of TARS car route K and the gratings of the new Eighth Avenue subway.
I am not positive, but I think the southeast corner of West 167th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue also had buses to New Jersey.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal memory:

Back in the early 60's, when the E-L still ran through Passaic's downtown business district, I remember INTER-CITY's terminal (opposite the E-L ROW) that had a large electric sign reading (what I can recall) "BUSSES TO NEW YORK".

"NYO"

Yes, that description of Inter-City's terminal matches my memory of the late 1940's and how we got back to Manhattan after riding the Erie from Jersey City. Many thanks.
Joe
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Personal memory:

"NYO"

Yes, that description of Inter-City's terminal matches my memory of the late 1940's and how we got back to Manhattan after riding the Erie from Jersey City. Many thanks.
Joe

Joe:

In later years, "BLUE & WHITE" also served Paterson; this route (#97), originally, had been an INTER-CITY route, operating between JSQ and Paterson.

Paterson was indeed a busy transportation hub, back in the old days; rail passenger service was provided by the ERIE, the DL&W, and the NYS&W.

PSNJ, INTER-CITY, and other bus lines also served the city.

PSNJ streetcars served Paterson until 1938, and ASV trolley buses ran until 1947.

The NYS&W also operated the short "Paterson City" branch, which was once served by the sleek MOTORAILER commuter cars.

Paterson, indeed, had much to delight a transit enthusiast, back in the day....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a handsome BLUE & WHITE (ex-Yonkers) New Look MACK, operating on a 1973 New York excursion; note the old INTER-CITY #97 roller curtain displayed.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?145

(coiurtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown Passaic, late 1930's; note the buses.

The one crossing the ERIE tracks might have been an INTER-CITY bus.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/bldg/erie-jeffx30-ads.jpg

(courtesy: fallenflags)
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO
I realize the heading of this thread focuses on the Broadway Bus Terminal in Paterson. However, the link below is to a puzzling photo on Pinterest. It is a overhead view south from West 168th Street, looking down St. Nicholas Avenue (with TWO bus terminals at 167th Street) and Mitchel Square with a WW1 soldiers' monument and a flag pole. A FACCO double decker is coming up Broadway and will probably move over to St. Nicholas Avenue if it is a #3.
---
Note that the White Tower has moved! It was in the lot on the northeast corner of 167th Street. In this newer photo, it is on the southwest corner. The northeast corner is Public Service. The southeast corner shows some prewar buses.

View south from 168th Street, maybe late 1940's
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

GREAT old pic....glad you shared it here! Wink

RED & TAN also had a terminal adjacent to the PS terminal at 167th; there is a picture on page #27 in Oliver J. Ogdens' "New York 5th Avenue Coach Company", showing the R&T depot nearest the camera (and double decker #1289), with the PS terminal in the background........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown Passaic, late 1920's.

Note the PSNJ streetcar; this car had originally been a two-man, double-ended car, but had been rebuilt into a one-man, single-ended car, and repainted into the new "De Luxe" scheme that PS used on rebuilt/remodeled cars (late 1920's)

As "HUDSON RIVER" line cars were all double-ended up to the end in 1938, the car seen here was clearly not running on that route (Edgewater-Paterson)........

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/bldg/erie-pasmain1920-ads.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this classic lineup at Hoboken terminal (circa 1955), we see the PS bus shed (still used today by NJT!) during a rush hour; a "15 PASSAIC" heads up the line, awaiting the turn-around into the shed to load outbound commuters.

Note both square and paired windowed Old Looks in attendance here, on this gloomy, rainy day in Hoboken......man, I know this old terminal like my own home......I practically grew up here!! Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4224

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a photo from the PatersonHistory.com website. It is labeled as a 1923 view of Market Street in front of City Hall. The view is east. A bus is at a safety island for streetcars. Can anyone identify the make or model of the bus, or perhaps the route number, or the name of the newspaper the fellow leaning against the post is reading? The bus seems to be high-floor, not ADA compliant.
---
In Google Street View of last November, the corner building at the left was for rent. Two buildings on the far right have electronics and pediatric services. Michael's store is replaced by a newer, lower building including a McDonald's and a Taco Bell. NJ Transit route 744 heads to Passaic on a zigzag path.

---
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

AWESOME old photo......appreciate your sharing here! Very Happy

Paterson had several daily papers back in those days; two were the "PATERSON MORNING CALL" and the "PATERSON EVENING NEWS".

The earlier "PATERSON DAILY PRESS" was printed between 1863 and 1907.

The buses are clearly not PS vehicles; they seem to be operated by some long-gone independent carrier.

Look VERY closely in the background; a PS "Birney" streetcar can just be glimpsed; PS once operated Birneys on two lines serving Paterson......these lines were the "BROADWAY" and the "HAWTHORNE" lines.

Both car lines were replaced by "BROADWAY BUS LINE" buses in 1926; perhaps the buses seen here were rostered by that company.

Also, note the island where the natty passengers await the next streetcar or bus; these islands (with large illuminated globes) were originally introduced in Newark by PS in 1913.......

"NYO
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

Thought you might be interested:

PSNJ RATES: (7/4/48-2/17/52)

7/4/48: 5 CENTS TO 7 CENTS/10 CENTS TO 14 CENTS/15 CENTS TO 20 CENTS/20 CENTS TO 25 CENTS/30 CENTS TO 35 CENTS (also interstate rates to coincide with local rates)

7/12/50: ORDERED BY P.U.C.TO RETURN TO 5 CENTS; NO CHANGE TO INTERSTATE RATES.

3/5/51: TEMPORARY RATES GRANTED; RETURN TO 7 CENTS ( same as 7/4/48 )

3/15/51: ALL SCHOOL TICKETS TO BE 2 1/2 CENTS; 40/$1.00, good on all lines.

12/30/51: TEMPORARY RATES GRANTED, 7 CENTS TO 8 CENTS; 14 CENTS TO 15 CENTS (no other changes)

2/10/52: INTERSTATE RATES INCREASED TO EQUAL INTRASTATE RATES; (protest over increases eliminated raising the rates to Hoboken, Union City, Guttenberg, West New York, and North Bergen; no changes in rates on Routes Nos. 107, 108, 118, and 119, except Elizabeth.

2/17/52: TEMPORARY INTRASTATE RATE GRANTED; 8 CENTS TO 10 CENTS, 2 ZONES, 15 CENTS (all other rates increased 5 cents per zone, including old 35 cent rate)

Source: "THE PUBLIC SERVICE TROLLEY LINES IN NEW JERSEY" (Edward Hamm, Jr.)

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that era, I did not pay much attention to fares or fare collection methods, as Dad was paying. I was aware that the 7 Jackson car carried a flip sign near the front door, "Pay as You Enter," and "Pay as you Leave." I think the sign was flipped at the Sip Avenue station, so a through trip to Winfield Avenue required a nickel when boarding, a nickel to get off. Later on, riding buses for exploration, I knew I had to state a destination when boarding, so the driver could ring up a correct price on his cash register. At some time, NJT introduced hi-tech fare-counting devices that printed a ticket on yellow tape. Arriving at PABT, my ticket was dropped in an envelope, never checked.
---
On my only visit to Nogales, Mexico, the driver issued tickets similar to those used here in raffles. I presume he then paid the boss for the number of tickets sold. I wonder what accounting is done on Spanish Transportation.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

I have an old NCR register in my archives (I nabbed ages ago, it via the old NJT store in Newark's Penn Station!).....what a treasure!

I well recall PS buses (including local buses) using them; the Newark City Subway PCC cars were not equipped with them, however.

ORANGE & BLACK, MANHATTAN LINES, INTER-CITY, DE CAMP, WESTWOOD COACHES, etc., all used NCR registers; I well recall the small white tickets that either were given to the driver when you reached your stop, or, simply, tossed.

The local "indies", like NHBL, SHBL, L&G, BERGEN AVENUE, etc., I all remember as buses that you boarded and simply tossed your coins into the box.

I can well recall the days when it cost well under 30 cents to ride most buses in the area; I can remember riding the O&B into Manhattan, during a day when I happily "marathon rode" their big Old Looks, costing about 45-50 cents a trip (7/4/75!)

It was also quite inexpensive to ride a DE CAMP Brill or Old Look on the #22, between JSQ and Verona.......man, take me back.....(!!) Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: