BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Got A Light, Bud?"/"Cheers!"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629"]Livingston & Bond, 1972..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1899

I cannot read the front sign on 8108, but the standing load of passengers surprises me, as most routes are nearing their terminal by the time they reach Bond Street. Could these be workers heading to offices near Brooklyn Borough Hall? On the driver's side, there is that glorious ad for Rheingold, but the bus will not pass the brewery on Monteith Street, near Flushing and Bushwick Avenues. Google Street View shows the Steakburger place now sells 99-cent pizza. May's is now a children's clothing store.

http://www.jumpingfrog.com/images/magads4/mas6793.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

Good observation! Wink

RHIENGOLD ads were everywhere, transit-wise, back in the day.......on and in buses, inside subway cars, stations.......hard to believe that RHEINGOLD, like so many iconic New York brands/companies, has now vanished into history.

MAYS, also, was another long-established New York institution......so many buses carried MAYS placards back then.

Like the vintage buses in the photos themselves, so many old New York establishments have disappeared into the history books.........the years have zipped by all to quickly.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Good observation! Wink

RHIENGOLD ads were everywhere, transit-wise, back in the day.......on and in buses, inside subway cars, stations.......hard to believe that RHEINGOLD, like so many iconic New York brands/companies, has now vanished into history.

MAYS, also, was another long-established New York institution......so many buses carried MAYS placards back then.

Like the vintage buses in the photos themselves, so many old New York establishments have disappeared into the history books.........the years have zipped by all to quickly.....

"NYO"

Ads for other long-vanished NYC department store chains, Gimbels and A&S, were also ubiquitous "back then" on the fronts and sometimes sides and even "batwing" displays, on buses. Didn't notice any for S. Klein's, though . . . their time must've passed by the time ads first showed up on the fronts, sides and backs of NYC buses about 1960 or so (also including, pre-1962, the Fifth Avenue Coach Lines / Surface Transit duopoly) . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B:

I well recall GIMBELS ads displayed inside PATH (H&M) tube cars, as well as on station walls.

Other vanished, long-established stores in New York:

E.J. KORVETTES

LAMSTON'S

WANNAMAKER's

WALDEN BOOKS

J & R MUSIC WORLD

BONDS

THE AUTOMAT

Recalling "classic era" interior transit ads, I well remember (especially back in the 60's) ads hawking Campbell's Soup, cereals, candy bars, soda, the Bowery Savings Bank, CARE, ANACIN, BAYER, Planter's Peanuts, and virtually any other product popular during that era.

YELLOW PAGES ads were also commonplace on both New York and New Jersey buses.....again, I'm showing my age......dang it........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"MAY'S" dash placards.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1471

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1568

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1594

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. George terminal, 1973.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1614

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway)
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629"]St. George terminal, 1973.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1614

In this photo, Flxible 5607 is using paper signs in the windows and carries a May's ad on the front. The location is the St. George Terminal, and there was, I believe, no May's department store on Staten Island.
---
The second bus is Flxible 5103, carrying a sign "Elect Marchi Boro President." The notes give the year 1973, but in that year he was the Republican candidate against Abe Beame in the mayoral race. I'm puzzled. I cannot find the year of his race for boro president. Born in 1951, he was a NY State Senator for almost fifty years.
---
The third bus is a GM Fishbowl with the same Elect Marchi ad.

---
When I lived on Staten Island, the bus fleet was Mack.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

When Mom and I took our day trips to Staten Island back in the 60's, it always seemed (to me, at least) that Staten Island had the oldest buses in the City!

I remember riding a MACK to South Beach many eons ago; a later 60's trip to Richmondtown was aboard what had to be the OLDEST Old Look still in service with the "Tee-Yay!"

Transit advertising has always greatly intrigued me; sadly, it is but a mere blip on the radar today, compared to what it was in our day.........well, at least we got GREAT memories! Wink

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man running on the Republican line for Staten Island borough president was Ferdinand C. Marchi. John Marchi was immensely popular. I cannot determine whether Ferdinand was a relative, but he was riding on a popular name. The Times endorsed Ferdinand, but he lost to the incumbent. Therefore, 1973 is the correct year for the photo.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any clues on the dash sign seen here? (1974)......... Rolling Eyes

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?395

(courtesy: bus,nycsubway.org)
kdr3bt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: PRCA Bus Reply with quote

Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Administration (PRCA)
Found this on NYC.gov - City Information, Services and Programs.
Just a guess - this bus could be/was used to shuttle staff to events and/or various parks.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: PRCA Bus Reply with quote

kdr3bt wrote:
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Administration (PRCA)
Found this on NYC.gov - City Information, Services and Programs.
Just a guess - this bus could be/was used to shuttle staff to events and/or various parks.

kdr3bt:

Thank you.......this is all news to me; you knew a lot more than I did! Wink

That one really had me guessing! Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
kdr3bt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO:
Thanks but all I did was Google PRCA and it showed the NYC site. Thank you for all of you photos. Not only do they show what things were like at the time of the photo but they also trigger memories of those times. Thank you to all who post photos - you make this site a living time capsule.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdr3bt wrote:
NYO:
Thanks but all I did was Google PRCA and it showed the NYC site. Thank you for all of you photos. Not only do they show what things were like at the time of the photo but they also trigger memories of those times. Thank you to all who post photos - you make this site a living time capsule.

kdr3bt:

You are most welcome....I truly enjoy reliving the "good old days", that now seem so distant....how much has changed.....and how much has been lost....during the past 40-odd years!

Telephone booths.......telephone numbers with exchange letters......Checker cabs......Bus-O-Rama ads.......Woolworth's......neon signs....Old Looks......New Looks......where have they all gone?

We all can shout out a loud and collective "THANK YOU" to those guys who took countless photos back then, depicting what was then "current events"...... Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: