BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surface Transportation Destination Sign

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Surface Transportation Destination Sign Reply with quote

New York Omnibus...

I believe you asked about Surface Transportation destination signs in one of the topics, unfortunately I couldn't remember which one so I just went ahead and created a new topic... Enjoy!

IMG_E9177 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.23 KB
 Viewed:  8006 Time(s)

IMG_E9177 (2).JPG

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this was how it was arranged 'back then'. 'Course, come 1960, by which time Fifth Avenue Coach Lines owned what was reconstituted as Surface Transit, and 'Fishbowls' 3161-3210 began service for them, the borough prefix was ditched, not to return until 1973 in the MaBSTOA era.

I can imagine there'd've been visibility issues in some people to make out what the route number was.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's one pic, to contrast between 1946-47 and 1960 . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

GREAT PHOTOS (as always!); thanks for posting here! Very Happy

I have always enjoyed looking at old SURFACE photos; there are not all that many online, and, (for that matter), the greatest number of SURFACE photos I have seen (to date) are those in Guy E. Martin's "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES".

The photos of SURFACE Fishbowls are indeed elusive prizes; it makes you wonder if some of the enthusiasts/photographers. of that era concentrated more on the Old Looks and the MACKS, instead of the new equipment.

I truly value the Corgi SURFACE Old Look that I use as part of my early 1960's, Bronx-themed, mini-diorama (on the countertop to the left of my kitchen sink; hey, I DON'T waste any space!), which also includes two Corgi FACCo Old Looks and a "Tee-Yay" Fishbowl, as well as several illuminated structures (brownstone apartment building, a Chinese restaurant, and a synagogue)

The little off-street" bus terminal does, of course, a few "driver"/"dispatcher" figures.......Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: