BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Birthday, Trix!/"Noo Yawk" cameos
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Happy Birthday, Trix!/"Noo Yawk" cameos Reply with quote

The lovely and talented Joyce Randolph, known to generations of loyal "Honeymooners" fans as Alice's best friend Trixie Norton, today celebrates her 95th birthday.....way to go, Trix! Very Happy

Too bad that the MTA didn't bring out the "Honeymooners" bus for a few special runs today, in her honor! Wink

Joyce, as you know, is the very last surviving cast member of the beloved "Honeymooners" cast; all the more reason to wish this lovely "Noo Yawk" gal a wonderful birthday, and to say "Thanks, Trix!" for all the great memories! Very Happy

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Randolph
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice:

"C'mon, Trix! Let's get the bus and go on down to Wallace's Department Store; they're having a big sale today, and my Uncle Leo gave me a $25 gift certificate!"

Trixie: "That's wonderful Alice! I sure hope my uncle gives me a gift certificate to Wallace's when my birthday comes around!"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3034

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3014

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Randolph is for the most part the only surviving cast member. Definitely within the 'core' Classic 39 cast, but in the general scheme of things. Not just Gleason, Carney and Audrey Meadows (to say nothing of the major "Gleason Actors") have passed on, but:
- Jane Kean, the final Trixie, in late 2013;
- Sheila MacRae, who played Alice in sketches from 1966 to 1973, in 2014.

Of those who may still survive:
- Best I could tell, Sue Ane Langdon, the short-lived Alice from the point Gleason first launched his American Scene Magazine in 1962, is still around.
- Patricia Wilson, who played Trixie in some 1962 "Honeymooners" sketches on Gleason's American Scene Magazine, continued to act in movies to 2000. Current whereabouts unknown.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Ah, the ersatz "2969." Which was originally NYCTS 4789. The original 2969 (originally NYCO when delivered in late 1950, then rebranded Fifth Avenue Coach Lines Inc. in 1956 and then doubtless repainted in two-tone green MaBSTOA colors after 1963 or so) would have been retired and scrapped in 1967 when the 480 air-conditioned 'batwing Fishbowls' reserved for MaBSTOA (plus 202 additional such buses for the 'Tee-Yay') were first delivered and put into service.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Ms. Randolph is for the most part the only surviving cast member. Definitely within the 'core' Classic 39 cast, but in the general scheme of things. Not just Gleason, Carney and Audrey Meadows (to say nothing of the major "Gleason Actors") have passed on, but:
- Jane Kean, the final Trixie, in late 2013;
- Sheila MacRae, who played Alice in sketches from 1966 to 1973, in 2014.

Of those who may still survive:
- Best I could tell, Sue Ane Langdon, the short-lived Alice from the point Gleason first launched his American Scene Magazine in 1962, is still around.
- Patricia Wilson, who played Trixie in some 1962 "Honeymooners" sketches on Gleason's American Scene Magazine, continued to act in movies to 2000. Current whereabouts unknown.

W,B.:

Appreciate this info....thank you!

As both my older brothers and my dad were all "Honeymoonies", I watched the show from the time I was a kid; my folks and I also loved "The Jackie Gleason Show", which we never missed.

My Dad especially loved "Joe The Bartender"; when I worked in New York, I had a friend who was a dead-ringer for the "Poor Soul"!

I also liked Shelia MacRae as the later "Alice"; I always felt a bit sorry for her, as she was stepping into a role made famous by the legendary (and lovely) Audrey Meadows; her "Alice" was light-years removed from the original character, but she still gave you a great performance; ditto Jane Kean, the last "Trixie".

When I got my first tape recorder in 1975, I used to record the audio from the episodes when they aired on WPIX, and would enjoy listening to them later, especially when working on my transit models!

I was also one of hundreds of fans who wrote to WPIX, circa-1982, to get them to bring back "THE HONEYMOONERS", after it had pulled from the airwaves about two years earlier.

Also, thanks to Peter Crescenti and Bob Columbe (who also co-authored "THE OFFICIAL HONEYMOONERS TREASURY"); these two gentlemen appeared on the "JOE FRANKLIN SHOW" to talk about getting WPIX to bring back the show.

Just days later, WPIX brought back the show, on Sunday nights; however, just a few months later, "THE HONEYMOONERS: was back seven nights a week! (How sweet it is!)

There had to be one heckuva victory celebration going on down at the Raccoon Lodge, not to mention at every pool room in "Bensonhoist".

It was great to have our favorite bus driver, Ralph Kramden, once more back in the driver's seat of a sleek "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY" Old Look! Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:57 pm; edited 5 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

Ah, the ersatz "2969." Which was originally NYCTS 4789. The original 2969 (originally NYCO when delivered in late 1950, then rebranded Fifth Avenue Coach Lines Inc. in 1956 and then doubtless repainted in two-tone green MaBSTOA colors after 1963 or so) would have been retired and scrapped in 1967 when the 480 air-conditioned 'batwing Fishbowls' reserved for MaBSTOA (plus 202 additional such buses for the 'Tee-Yay') were first delivered and put into service.

W.B.:

I still mourn the loss of the loss of this legendary bus; I have the feeling that, had the internet been around back then, word would have quickly spread among both bus and "Honeymooners" fans that this iconic "Gleason" bus was headed for the scrap heap, and efforts could have been made to spare it from the torch.

Could you imagine what a centerpiece this bus would make today, at a "Honeymooners" convention?

"How sweet it is!"

IMHO, the ersatz "Gleason" bus should have been lettered for the "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY".......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....one can only imagine, if Gleason's "Kramden" were driving an MTA bus today, how he would have dealt with fare evaders?? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Something tells me, that Kramden's legendary short fuse, coupled with his bombastic roaring and ranting tirades, things would get QUITE interesting (and ugly) to say the least.....(!!) Shocked Shocked

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate this info....thank you!

As both my older brothers and my dad were all "Honeymoonies", I watched the show from the time I was a kid; my folks and I also loved "The Jackie Gleason Show", which we never missed.

My Dad especially loved "Joe The Bartender"; when I worked in New York, I had a friend who was a dead-ringer for the "Poor Soul"!

I also liked Shelia MacRae as the later "Alice"; I always felt a bit sorry for her, as she was stepping into a role made famous by the legendary (and lovely) Audrey Meadows; her "Alice" was light-years removed from the original character, but she still gave you a great performance; ditto Jane Kean, the last "Trixie".

When I got my first tape recorder in 1975, I used to record the audio from the episodes when they aired on WPIX, and would enjoy listening to them later, especially when working on my transit models!

I was also one of hundreds of fans who wrote to WPIX, circa-1982, to get them to bring back "THE HONEYMOONERS", after it had pulled from the airwaves about two years earlier.

Also, thanks to Peter Crescenti and Bob Columbe (who also co-authored "THE OFFICIAL HONEYMOONERS TREASURY"); these two gentlemen appeared on the "JOE FRANKLIN SHOW" to talk about getting WPIX to bring back the show.

Just days later, WPIX brought back the show, on Sunday nights; however, just a few months later, "THE HONEYMOONERS: was back seven nights a week! (How sweet it is!)

There had to be one heckuva victory celebration going on down at the Raccoon Lodge, not to mention at every pool room in "Bensonhoist".

It was great to have our favorite bus driver, Ralph Kramden, once more back in the driver's seat of a sleek "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY" Old Look! Wink

I was, from c.1985 to the end of the line of that organization, a member of Mr. Crescenti and Mr. Columbe's outfit, RALPH (Royal Association for the Longevity and Preservation of The Honeymooners); when a member, I showed up at their conventions in the NY Metro as Ed Norton. No less than Art Carney's son Brian, mentioned to me backstage after one lookalike contest (at the very last convention, in summer 1986 at Madison Square Garden's then-Felt Forum) that I bore perhaps the closest physical resemblance to Norton. (I still do - albeit as Carney had looked by the '60's when he and Gleason did their "Color Honeymooners" installments in Miami Beach. Wink )

Can you imagine, in the '60's, a publicity pic of Gleason in front of the wheel of a MaBSTOA New Look (maybe even an A/C batwing), and his then-current cast of Ms. MacRae, Mr. Carney and Ms. Kean peering out from the slanted open side windows? The way those windows moved vs. that on the sides of the Old Look 4509's would've been interesting to say the least for comparison.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.

WHAT a compliment to receive from "Norton's" son!

After learning this, I indeed have no trouble admitting that, when I watch "THE HONEYMOONERS" on dvd, I don my old vest (the last piece of a three-piece suit I wore to work for many years) over my T shirt and clap on my trusty fedora (also a holdover from my working days) and happily enjoy the hilarious misadventures of the Kramdens and the Nortons (Art Carney's stellar comic timing could NEVER be matched!)

Damn sorry to hear that RALPH is now more; back in the day, I had every intention of joining, years ago, but, for whatever reason, never got around to it (also, I never even got one bite of Neopolitan Knockwurst!) Sad

LOVE that idea of a 1960's "Honeymooners" cast publicity shot!

Man, I'd love to have seen Ralph behind the wheel of a MaBSTOA batwing Fishbowl, with the "color" cast leaning out of the windows ! (I's LOVE to see someone REALLY proficient with Photoshop tackle this one!) Shocked Shocked

How sweet it is! Wink

"NYO"

BTW:

I have a close friend whom I worked with from 1982 until I retired in 2003; he easily could have been a "one-man 'Honeymooners' show"......he indeed bore a VERY STRIKING resemblence to "Gleason as Kramden"!

Like Ralph, he was QUITE rotund, had a GARGANTUAN appetite, and a BIIIIIIIIIG mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

The scary thing was, his mentality was light-years closer to Norton's than Ralph's!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I used to have the guys down in the lounge area laughing their butts off, when I would hit my rotund pal with rapid-fire "fat jokes" (thank you, Norton and Alice!) Very Happy

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:40 pm; edited 9 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recalled this........

Close to 20 years ago, when our local cable channel was running the "Color Honeymooners", I got a kick out of the opening of one episode, that began in the driver's lounge "down at the depot".

Here we saw a MODEL bus garage, with a sign reading over the entrance reading (what else?) "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY"; then, we see a (then commonplace) tin lithographed made in Japan toy friction bus, entering the garage, that was obviously being pulled inside by a guy pulling on a string, on the other side! Shocked Shocked

Ahhh, the wonders of special effects!!!! Wink

I also remember a brief (color) skit where Ralph is sitting behind the wheel of a mock-up city bus, barking at the boarding passengers to "MOVE TO THE REAR!"

Not surprisingly, the front on the bus reared off the roadway (stage), due to all the passengers heeding his orders!

I also remember (from the color era) Ralph and Norton doing that song, "Love On A Bus" (for some reason, I can only remember one line: ".....as they passed a church, the bus gave a lurch......"

Man, I'm showing my age......AGAIN.....(!!)

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related note:

The multi-talented, lovely Vivian Vance (Lucy Ricardo's best pal/landlady "Ethel Mertz") on "I Love Lucy", after re-marrying (this was after "I LOVE LUCY" ended in 1957) , maintained an apartment on "upper 5th Avenue" until the early 1970's (the couple also had a Colonial farmhouse in Connecticut)

Just wondering what were the MaBSTOA routes then; also, the equipment used from the early 60's through about 1970, and the starting/terminal points of the routes.

I have never heard of Vance riding on a New York bus, but, hey, you never know (in several "Lucy" episodes, there was mention of Lucy and Ethel taking the subway downtown to go shopping; this would have been the IRT Lexington Avenue line, as the "Ricardos" and the "Mertzes" lived on E. 68th St.)

(fictitious address; 623!)

When "LUCY" first aired in 1951 (man, almost 70 YEARS ago!), the IRT was still the domain of Hi-V's and Lo-V's and the (by then truncated) 3rd Avenue El was still rattling and roaring above the streets of Manhattan and the Bronx; back then, Lucy and Ethel could still shop at Gimbels bargain basement as well as at Kleins!

Recall, yoo, the 1957 "Lucy" episode, "LUCY AND THE LOVING CUP", when she gets separated fron Ethel on a Lexington Avenue train (interior mock-up looked authentically "Noo Yawk", but clearly was more of an IND/BMT car; too, the stock footage montage shows prewar IRT cars, R12/14's on the #7, and prewar IND cars on the "AA")

Look closely as the R-12/14 train pulls out of the station; the film negatives were reversed!

The exterior shot of the IND "AA" train in between stations I can also recall seeing in the early 1950's Richard Widmark crime flick, "PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET", and also, in the 1950's color "SUPERMAN" episode, "A SHOT IN THE DARK"

There was also the (1955) episode where Lucy's wonderfully ditzy mother ("Mrs. McGillicuddy), after arriving in New York in preparation for their trip to Hollywood, tells Lucy that "the bus let me off right in front of the building".

Lucy then remembers that the bus doesn't come down their street; yet, in the classic "LUCY MEETS SUPERMAN" episode (1957), when she is out on the third-floor ledge, stock footage shows an Old Look pulling up to a stop right in front of the apartment building, three stories down!

(Look closely at this brief scene, and you can see both front and rear doors opening; a few vintage taxis are also seen whizzing by)

Ya GOTTA love it..... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.

WHAT a compliment to receive from "Norton's" son!

After learning this, I indeed have no trouble admitting that, when I watch "THE HONEYMOONERS" on dvd, I don my old vest (the last piece of a three-piece suit I wore to work for many years) over my T shirt and clap on my trusty fedora (also a holdover from my working days) and happily enjoy the hilarious misadventures of the Kramdens and the Nortons (Art Carney's stellar comic timing could NEVER be matched!)

Damn sorry to hear that RAPLH is now more; back in the day, I had every intention of joining, years ago, but, for whatever reason, never got around to it (also, I never even got one bite of Neopolitan Knockwurst!) Sad

LOVE that idea of a 1960's "Honeymooners" cast publicity shot!

Man, I'd love to have seen Ralph behind the wheel of a MaBSTOA batwing Fishbowl, with the "color" cast leaning out of the windows ! (I's LOVE to see someone REALLY proficient with Photoshop tackle this one!) Shocked Shocked

How sweet it is! Wink

"NYO"

In one contest, I won as a consolation prize a rubber chicken (a reference point in the episode where Norton was helping Ralph prepare his taxes). I have, since then, had a rubber chicken hanging in front of the window where I live.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related note:

The multi-talented, lovely Vivian Vance (Lucy Ricardo's best pal/landlady "Ethel Mertz") on "I Love Lucy", after re-marrying (this was after "I LOVE LUCY" ended in 1957) , maintained an apartment on "upper 5th Avenue" until the early 1970's (the couple also had a Colonial farmhouse in Connecticut)

Just wondering what were the MaBSTOA routes then; also, the equipment used from the early 60's through about 1970, and the starting/terminal points of the routes.

Up to Jan. 13, 1966, of course, all Fifth Avenue routes were crosstown. About 1958, FACCo's #1 - Fifth Avenue line - which dated back to horse-drawn coach days in 1886 - was reduced to one franchise trip per day, and - along with the #19 - Fifth Avenue-Riverside Drive line (confined to rush hours only since Dec. 6, 1942) - was discontinued on March 1, 1962 in the wake of the TWU strike against Fifth Avenue Coach Lines that brought forth the chain of events that led to all their (and Surface Transit's) routes being put under the aegis of MaBSTOA. Ostensibly, all the way through #1 ran from 135th Street to Washington Square (though some insist that, post-1958, #1's south end was truncated to 42nd Street).

The #2 was then all "Fifth and Seventh Avenues," running from 168th Street and Broadway to Washington Square. The #3, "Fifth Ave.-St. Nicholas / Convent Ave.," went from 193rd Street in the Fort George section to Washington Square. The #4, "Fifth Ave.-Fort Washington," went to either Fort Tryon Park or The Cloisters on the north end - and Penn Station on the south end. The #5, "Fifth Ave.-Riverside Drive," went from 168th Street and Broadway to Washington Square - as did the aforementioned #19. (The #2, 3 and 5 were switched after Sept. 2, 1963 to East 8th Street just south of Fifth - and then on Nov. 10 of that year, to 8th Street and Fourth Avenue, with most #5 runs extended further south to Houston Street and West Broadway.)

After Fifth Avenue went one-way SB on Jan. 14, 1966, two ex-NYCO routes made their incursions onto Fifth Avenue, via their #1 (ex Park Avenue South-Madison Avenue via 135th Street, known afterwards as Fifth-Madison via 135th) and #2 (ex Park Avenue South-Madison Avenue via 116th Street, known afterwards as Fifth-Madison via Lenox). With the exception of the #5 which NB route was rearranged to Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) from Houston Street to 57th Street, the other routes were shifted NB to NYCO's old stomping grounds of Madison Avenue. (As MaBSTOA envisioned it, the NYCO and FACCo #2's were merged together and treated operationally as one singular route with two branches - the Seventh Avenue branch [which was re-branded #2A for the next eight years] of 9.48 route miles that had been the FACCo #2, and the Lenox Avenue branch of 7.5 route miles that was NYCO's #2.) The #2 Fifth-Madison-Lenox line was discontinued March 2, 1969, replaced north of 116th Street with a "new" route, M-101A - Third, Lexington and Lenox Avenues, which north of 24th Street was also a de facto revival of the old NYCO #4 - Lexington and Lenox Avenues (only with its NB route path south of 116th along Third Avenue). That's how things stood for Ms. Vance to the early '70's (I presume when she left was before the big route renumberings of July 1, 1974).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

THANKS for posting the Fifth Avenue bus route information; I'm always very much interested in anything related to FACCo/MaBSTOA (still hoping for a PUBLISHED work co-authored by yourself and Mr. MaBSTOA 15.....PLEASE reserve me a copy, if you ever get this intense project off the ground! Very Happy

From what I've read, Viv and her husband John Dodds sold their Connecticut home and settled for a time in Santa Fe; however, they still maintained the "upper Fifth Avenue" apartment for some time..

Around 1970, they again moved, purchasing a 250-year old home that was a former schoolhouse in northern Westchester, in the border of Connecticut.

By 1975, they had again relocated, and moved to a San Francisco suburb.

Sadly, Viv passed away in 1979, just as the GRUMMAN and RTS eras were dawning.

Getting back to the buses, I am willing to wager that most daily riders today have no inkling that MaBSTOA ever existed, let alone FACCo.........

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: