BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would Ralph Kramden say....??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back around, 1955, you could also buy a Jackie Gleason Bus Driver "kit", complete with cap, plastic change maker, plastic coins, etc.....

Would have been great to spy that under your Christmas tree, along with that super-looking tin litho "Jackie Gleason Bus" by Wolverine, circa 1955....or even TODAY....(!!) Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
INTERESTING "Kramden Route Trivia"..........appreciate your posting here! Wink

I have always enjoyed thinking about what buses types Ralph would have been driving (as well as what routes he'd be transversing) had he still be "on the job" behind the wheel in the 60's and 70's..... Very Happy

I have to wonder if, in that "Brother Ralph" episode where he'd been laid off, and after the layoff was over he was being assigned the crosstown route - wonder if it would have been the 86th Street crosstown #18 (today's M86+SBS+). That was the route the actual, bonafide NYCO #2969 (TDH-4509, built 1950) usually plied, probably into early MaBSTOA days up to the mid-'60's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
INTERESTING "Kramden Route Trivia"..........appreciate your posting here! Wink

I have always enjoyed thinking about what buses types Ralph would have been driving (as well as what routes he'd be transversing) had he still be "on the job" behind the wheel in the 60's and 70's..... Very Happy

I have to wonder if, in that "Brother Ralph" episode where he'd been laid off, and after the layoff was over he was being assigned the crosstown route - wonder if it would have been the 86th Street crosstown #18 (today's M86+SBS+). That was the route the actual, bonafide NYCO #2969 (TDH-4509, built 1950) usually plied, probably into early MaBSTOA days up to the mid-'60's.

Again, GREAT trivia! Wink

In "BROTHER RALPH", recall that Norton states that Ralph: ".....eats, drinks, and, sleeps buses....he's even BUILT like one....." Laughing

Strange, in all these years, despite so much tremendous "HONEYMOONERS" trivia out there, we still know relatively little about Ralph "on the job". at least regarding the real "nitty gritty bus enthusiast's trivia".

I still wish they showed some depot scenes (showing a GMC or two....even a mockup!) in some episodes!

Regardless, NO ONE could have ever hoped to make "Ralph Kramden" the blustery, vunerable, iconic character he still is today....thank you, Mr. Gleason! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this interesting "Honeymooners" trivia bit:

In one episode ("A MAN'S PRIDE"), Ralph runs into Alice's old sweetheart, Bill Davis; Ralph, naturally, brags to Bill that he "runs" the Gotham Bus Company.

He gives the garage's location as 48th St. and 9th Avenue, in Manhattan.........

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see why it would be given like that . . . NYCO's main depot in that neighborhood was at 54th and 9th . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
I could see why it would be given like that . . . NYCO's main depot in that neighborhood was at 54th and 9th . . .

W.B.:

I have seen a vintage photo showing that depot, with an open-top double decker lumbering out into the sunshine; does that depot still exist?

When did it close?

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

W.B.:

I have seen a vintage photo showing that depot, with an open-top double decker lumbering out into the sunshine; does that depot still exist?

When did it close?

54th Street ('FFS' on the old Keene fare boxes) closed in 1992, and was demolished in 1996.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B:

Appreciate the update....was hoping that, at least, that the building would still be standing today....... Sad

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Yes! Jackie Gleason was one of the greatest and his legacy should live on, but I'm sorry folks, not by using the TDH-5101 to promote his famous role on the Honeymooners. This rare bus and the only preserved one should be restored back to it's original livery as it was when roaming the streets of Brooklyn and Queens back in the '50's. The Gleason bus should be represented by the the numerous other makes of old look GM's that can still be found, bought and restored. The is like using a different model GM bus other than a TDH-3610 and calling it the Rosa Park bus. At least the Ford Museum got it right.

True . . . Gleason and his cast were inside and around a TDH-4509 (as noted before), built two years after the ersatz "2969" being paraded at old-timey bus runs since 1984 (yes, I remember this imposter bus outside the campus of LIU when I was to my first Honeymooners convention in 1984). As I've said, the real 2969 ended up among the fleet absorbed by the city and placed under MaBSTOA operating aegis, upon the 1962 seizure of all Fifth Avenue Coach, NYC Omnibus and Surface Transit routes, their depots and rolling stock in the wake of the TWU strike against FACL/ST, and was still based out of the 100th Street depot (where it had been placed at the outset) as of fall 1965, presumably still handling the #18 - 86th Street crosstown route; either the next year or the year after that was when it was retired and sent off for scrap (with the delivery of either the 1965-66 MaBSTOA 6401-6900 or 1966-67 MaBSTOA 8301-8780, small portions of which were assigned to that depot if any pics of buses within those numbers running on the 18, 19, 101 and presumably 101A routes are of any indication - that is, unless the last-numbered was out of the 146th and Lenox depot).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: