BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would Ralph Kramden say....??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: What would Ralph Kramden say....?? Reply with quote

All:

What do you think Ralph Kramden would say, today in 2017, upon seeing a modern, high-tech MTA bus...........?? Rolling Eyes

"...Norton should see this bus.....looks like something 'Captain Video' would pilot to Pluto......."

"......THIS is a BUS??....it look mores like a ROCKET SHIP that would take Alice to the Moon AND back......."

".....hamnahamnahamnahanahamnahamna......"

"......I wonder how many Racoons I could jam into one, on our next excursion up to Racoon Point.....??"

"....how the heck do you change the signs on this thing.......??"

".......a BUS that BENDS in the middle......who designed it.....the 'Astoria Accordian Company'.....??"

Wink Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Would would Ralph Kramden say....?? Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

What do you think Ralph Kramden would say, today in 2017, upon seeing a modern, high-tech MTA bus...........?? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

What would he say??

That's an easy one.....he would get behind the wheel and say:
And Away We Go!! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Would would Ralph Kramden say....?? Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

"NYO"

What would he say??

That's an easy one.....he would get behind the wheel and say:
And Away We Go!! Wink

traildriver:

I cannot argue with THAT one...(!!) Wink

"And aaaaawwwwaaaaaayyyy we gooooooo!!" Laughing

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"BABY, YOU'RE THE GREATEST!" Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3034

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the GOTHAM BUS COMPANY been operating GRUMMANS, could you imagine Ralph being chosen to make the inaugural run(!!).........the jokes would STILL be making the rounds around the depot water coolers....(!!) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"POW! RIGHT IN THE KISSER!"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3990

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TAKE 2: "BABY, YOU'RE THE GREATEST!" Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3013

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If based on the publicity pics taken back in '55, Ralph would have driven a NYCO #2 bus . . . keep in mind that effective March 2, 1969, that route (by then travelling southbound along Fifth Avenue thanks to the '66 one-way conversion of that avenue as well as that of Madison), south of 116th Street, was moved to Third Avenue northbound and Lexington Avenue southbound and renumbered M-101A in what was essentially a resurrection of the old NYCO #4 route that'd been ixnayed in 1960 after those avenues were one-wayed. (And that route became the current M102 after July 1, 1974.)

It was also because of the NYCO #2, B.T.W., at the point of the Fifth and Madison one-way conversions, that ex-FACCo #2 was rebranded 2A up to 1974.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
If based on the publicity pics taken back in '55, Ralph would have driven a NYCO #2 bus . . . keep in mind that effective March 2, 1969, that route (by then travelling southbound along Fifth Avenue thanks to the '66 one-way conversion of that avenue as well as that of Madison), south of 116th Street, was moved to Third Avenue northbound and Lexington Avenue southbound and renumbered M-101A in what was essentially a resurrection of the old NYCO #4 route that'd been ixnayed in 1960 after those avenues were one-wayed. (And that route became the current M102 after July 1, 1974.)

It was also because of the NYCO #2, B.T.W., at the point of the Fifth and Madison one-way conversions, that ex-FACCo #2 was rebranded 2A up to 1974.

INTERESTING "Kramden Route Trivia"..........appreciate your posting here! Wink

I have always enjoyed thinking about what buses types Ralph would have been driving (as well as what routes he'd be transversing) had he still be "on the job" behind the wheel in the 60's and 70's..... Very Happy

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie Gleason was indeed a comic genius, and a gifted dramatic actor...
Here's a video of an interview with Johnny Carson in 1985....
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3syqco
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Jackie Gleason was indeed a comic genius, and a gifted dramatic actor...
Here's a video of an interview with Johnny Carson in 1985....
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3syqco

traildriver:

No disagreement here! Wink

I always thought Gleason played an excellent role in "The Hustler" (recall, "Ralph" really enjoyed going down to the ol' pool hall with Norton!)

Recall, also, "Joe The Bartender" (my dad loved that role!), "The Poor Soul", "Reginald Van Gleason", etc........"The Jackie Gleason" show was always greatly enjoyed by my parents and I........also greatly enjoyed "The Color Honeymooners", in later years!

Ralph HAD to have been Mr. Marshall's most illustrious driver, without a doubt! Shocked

Getting a little hungry here, guys......think I'll raid the icebox and have a little midnight snack, and spread "KranMar's Mystery Appetizer" on some Ritz Crackers......... Rolling Eyes Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue May 23, 2017 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
frankie

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Jackie Gleason was one of the greatest and his legacy should live on, but I'm sorry folks, not by using the TDH-5101 to promote his famous role on the Honeymooners. This rare bus and the only preserved one should be restored back to it's original livery as it was when roaming the streets of Brooklyn and Queens back in the '50's. The Gleason bus should be represented by the the numerous other makes of old look GM's that can still be found, bought and restored. The is like using a different model GM bus other than a TDH-3610 and calling it the Rosa Park bus. At least the Ford Museum got it right.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"AND AWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY WE GO!!" Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.oldwoodtoys.com/images/OL5dfd.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="frankie"]Yes! Jackie Gleason was one of the greatest and his legacy should live on, but I'm sorry folks, not by using the TDH-5101 to promote his famous role on the Honeymooners. This rare bus and the only preserved one should be restored back to it's original livery as it was when roaming the streets of Brooklyn and Queens back in the '50's. The Gleason bus should be represented by the the numerous other makes of old look GM's that can still be found, bought and restored. The is like using a different model GM bus other than a TDH-3610 and calling it the Rosa Park bus. At least the Ford Museum got it right.[/quote

Interesting points, all!

I think, to many classic-minded bus enthusiasts, like ourselves, we automatically picture "Ralph" driving a paired-windowed Old Look GMC; I would indeed would love to see an Old Look restored and lettered "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY"!Very Happy

A rescued 5104, 4509, 4512, etc, could easily be made to look like a "typical" motor coach in Mr. Marshall's GBC stable!

(Years ago, CORGI put out a "MADISON AVENUE COACH CO. INC" Old Look (#1707); I made sure I nabbed one dang quick!) Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kramden Koaches" on the job in Brooklyn......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4006

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3980

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3988

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: