BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to "fan" today's NYC subway ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of the ex-SIRT cars, at the 36th St. yards, in later years......

www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?6757

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later day views of ex-SIRT cars in non-revenue service........

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/sirt/htm/sirt02.htm

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/sirt/htm/sirt03.htm

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/sirt/htm/sirt06.htm

(courtesy: newdavesrailpix)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this vintage photo taken at the BMT's 36th St. yard, we have something of interest for both traction and bus fans........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?112771

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to believe........

The last prewar cars (IND) in revenue service were retired 40 years ago this year.

The Myrtle Avenue El has now been gone nearly 50 years, as have the very last Lo-V's running on the Bronx 3rd Avenue El.

The R-10's have now been gone nearly 30 years.

The last Redbirds clattered their last well over a decade ago.

The last of the ancient BRT/BMT "BU's" on the "Myrt" are now gone nearly six decades.

Time has indeed slipped away at too great a speed........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...the R-32's keep on a rollin'..... Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
But...the R-32's keep on a rollin'..... Very Happy

.....just like the Energizer Bunny......... Laughing Laughing

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say nice things about the R32s because of the original splendor, but I have a few quibbles:
1) They arrived with those cursed hard seats. The bosses who chose those seats ought be given no official automobile, or, if they need one, it should have hard seats.
2) They arrived with longitudinal seats. Longitudinal seats on a wide car are a waste of space, as people cannot stand in all the room down the middle. The els of New York had crosswise seats in cars a foot narrower. Crosswise seats keep legs out of the aisle. Crosswise seats provide handholds.
3) For some reason, the R32s now lurch and jerk. A friend still hurts from the way a lurch while she was standing on a C threw her to the floor three years ago.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4: All good and valid points!

I believe that upholstered seating on new subway cars was dropped in favor of plastic seating in the mid-50's; I know that the BMT R-16's had upholstered seats, as did the R-17 IRT cars.

Longitudinal seating on the IND/BMT stock began with the R-27's/R-30's about 1960; it was not until the arrival of the R-44's in the early 70's that a more comfortable seating arrangement (recalling the prewar BMT/IND cars); the R68 "Hippos" also follow the same basic seating arrangement.

Before I retired in 2003, I also noticed that the 32's lurched and jerked more than they had prior to rebuilding; I also found that hanging onto an overhead bar (instead of a free-swinging strap) was far from a comfortable experience.

Now recalling the little "jump seats" on the old "AB" Standards.........aaaahhh, memories.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the R-32's....
The hard seats came about around 5 years before the R-32's did to the TA...
And I like the seats better than the ones in the new R-160's...thanks to smaller doors, the seats are a bit longer.
Having cross-wise seats would yield more seats, but less total space including standing room. And the way they would cram cross-wise seats in today, my knees would be hard against the seat in front of me, and make me get up to let the window seat passenger out. For the short nature of most subway rides, the lengthwise seats work out better...that's why they order them that way now.

As for the 'jerky' ride, could be because of the mechanical condition, or the way the controls are handled by the train operator...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

I can STILL remember some Standards having red vinyl covering the original rattan, back in the 60's.

I always found it interesting that some Standards had straphangers, while others did not.

I last rode the 27's/30's on the "C", back in the early 90's, after the R-10's (The "Pattons") were retired in 1989.

"NYO"
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like I love all NYC buses, I love all NYC subway cars, but I have some personal favorite classes:
1. R1-9's: These were the very first subway cars I rode as a little kid, mostly on the GG. Their front windows were nice and big and low enough for "midget motormen" to appreciate. I loved the sounds those cars made, with the growl of the spur gears and the sounds made by those old school AMUE brakes.
2. R-36's: I always loved to ride the 7 and when the Worlds Fair opened in 1964 those aqua and white R-36's were awesome. The 7 express is still one of the best el rides you can get.
3. R-16's: I rode these to and from high school on the EE from Continental to 59-Lex. They were quirky cars and not the most reliable, but they were "my cars".
4. R-10/12/14: Love those ogee-arched roofs and small ceiling fans. (I never rode them in the summer otherwise I would have hated those tiny fans)
5. R-160: Favorite New Technology cars. Love that high pitched whining sound they make while accelerating away from a stop.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the aqua-and-white R36's Q65 liked in 1964, I got discouraged hunting through the photos on nycsubway.org for either interior or exterior photos of the state cars. If I recall correctly, not every state was represented, because the state had to sponsor the car and supply some sort of interior ads. At any rate, I presume there are photos and lists somewhere on the internet, but I have had zero luck finding it.
---
As a high school teacher on Staten Island, I offered to lead Friday afternoon trips to the 1964-1965 World's Fair. We rode the Lex to Grand Central, then down the ramps to the #7, where one could catch a Super Express. The group entered the fair under a school rate, one ticket @25 cents per student. We regathered at the exit turnstile at 10 p.m. I was lucky; nobody ever got lost, nobody stayed behind. At the time, I thought it was the unfamiliarity with the City that made the group follow me.
Joe
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A:

All GREAT choices!!!! Very Happy

I used to love riding the 12's/14's on the 7th Avenue expresses; their ogee roofs reminded me of the H&M/PATH "Black" cars; back around 1982, I remember riding one on an uptown train, and staring at a snagged roller curtain reading "POLO GROUNDS"!!

I LOVED those distinctive porthole windows on the 15's; I was especially in love with the R-10's (aka "PATTON TANKS"!) on the "CC"/"C"; was a lot of fun watching the conductors open and close the doors between cars, in true "Noo Yawk" style!

Loved ALL the prewar cars; the compressors on the Lo-V's always reminded me of the H&M cars (I can STILL hear them chuckling in my head today!)

The "Slant 40's"..........still remember them with the HUGE "Sesame Street" route letters up front.....and WHAT a great railfan window!

The Standards always sounded as they had a perpetual attitude......always growling and snarling up a storm....they were BEASTS....and I LOVED them!!!!

The prewar IND R's I mostly remember riding with Mom on the "AA", up to the Planeterium and Museum of Natural History (boarding at 42nd).......they also had an "attitude"....judging by their sounds!

Nothing like an end-to-end jaunt at the railfan jaunt on the #7 in the "Redbird" days......always made sure to check out the long-disused 2nd Avenue El tracks, coming into QP!

When the R-142's starting taking over the IRT, I was perplexed by those screechy "violin" sounds.....I would actually scan the platforms, trying to see a subway musician, until I learned better! (TRUE story!)

Man, I feel so OLD right now...but, man, what GREAT old memories......... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat May 13, 2017 5:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Regarding the aqua-and-white R36's Q65 liked in 1964, I got discouraged hunting through the photos on nycsubway.org for either interior or exterior photos of the state cars. If I recall correctly, not every state was represented, because the state had to sponsor the car and supply some sort of interior ads. At any rate, I presume there are photos and lists somewhere on the internet, but I have had zero luck finding it.
---
As a high school teacher on Staten Island, I offered to lead Friday afternoon trips to the 1964-1965 World's Fair. We rode the Lex to Grand Central, then down the ramps to the #7, where one could catch a Super Express. The group entered the fair under a school rate, one ticket @25 cents per student. We regathered at the exit turnstile at 10 p.m. I was lucky; nobody ever got lost, nobody stayed behind. At the time, I thought it was the unfamiliarity with the City that made the group follow me.
Joe

Joe: I clearly recall those cars, and was always disappointed that there was no "NEW JERSEY" car; I do recall there were "KANSAS" and "VERMONT" cars, however.

I truly believe that the "Bluebirds" were the most distinctive car type to operate on the #7 line; I cannot tell you how many times I rode them just to savor both the cars themselves, as well as the panoramic ride through Queens.

My mother and my older brother and I rode these handsome cars when new......man, what an experience!

Whoever had the bright idea to paint these cars white to deter young urban "artists" made as much sense as giving Al Capone the keys to an arsenal.......what WERE they thinking???? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Again, you CANNOT put a price on memories...........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More memories:

The sleek, Moderne chrome change booths at the entrance to the IND at the PABT, prior to renovations

The old rampways to the BMT at TSQ

The wooden escalators (the last I can remember was at 61st St./Woodside (IRT)

Incandescent bulbs under platform edges

"IDENTRA" hoops on #7 line rolling stock

NEDICKS hot dog stands

The angry, impatient hiss of air-operated doors.

The two-car BOWLING GREEN shuttle

"Built in" BMT change booths

Vintage change booths with brass window grilles

OPPY "SUBWAY SUN" ads and token booth cartoon signs: "SAVE TIME! BUY EXTRA TOKENS TODAY!"

Aaaaaah, bittersweet nostalgia.......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: