BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to "fan" today's NYC subway ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the 119 again, and I see that the straps are actually nylon, not leather...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I'm on the 119 again, and I see that the straps are actually nylon, not leather...

traildriver:

Yes, indeed...appearances CAN be deceiving...I learned that a while back, myself, regarding those NABI straps! Rolling Eyes

It would seem, then, that the last passenger equipment (of any sort) to use leather straps in revenue service anywhere would have been the "Q" cars; certainly, they were the very last cars equipped with leather straps in service with the "Tee-Yay" at that time.

Leather straps were indeed the "strap of choice", regarding El equipment, it would seem.........

"NYO"
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each year, Peter Dougherty puts out a new edition of his book titled Tracks of the New York Subway
IMHO it is an outstanding book that details the behind-the-scenes complexities of the subway system very well
http://www.nyctrackbook.com/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Each year, Peter Dougherty puts out a new edition of his book titled Tracks of the New York Subway
IMHO it is an outstanding book that details the behind-the-scenes complexities of the subway system very well
http://www.nyctrackbook.com/

Thanks for the heads-up!

My current (well worn!) edition dates back to 1997!!!! Shocked Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Generation Gap" (IRT)......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?122939

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?66190

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Generation Gap" (BMT).........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?6524

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?66786

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......a CONVERTIBLE didn't always mean a "rag top" auto, back in the day, especially in Brooklyn....... Wink

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?112789

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling those halcyon days of yore on the BRT......handsome wooden El cars sprouting trolley poles and dapper, stalwart crewmen ready at the helm........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?141879

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was too young to ride the Fulton Street Line to Park Row, but car 1334, a convertible, sports interesting shoes. These could be used both on close-in "el" 3rd rail and on the further-out and lower subway 3rd rail. The particular shoes do not come down from above, but come out from the side of the truck. Note the bend in the shoe for the two uses.
---
In contrast, the shoes on the train at Canarsie (crew on platform, poles up) would ride the 3rd rail from above and could not be used where the 3rd rail had a protecting board.
---
Somewhere on SubChat there is probably a discussion of where each type of shoe was used. I think the Interborough steel subway cars sported the type on car 1334 because Jerome Avenue was built with el 3rd rail about 167th Street to Burnside. (I could be mistaken.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

Yes, you are correct; there was a quite detailed discussion on el and subway third rail shoes over on SubChat; this was indeed a most intriguing "in depth" discussion!

As an example, the "Q" cars retained their original el-type third rail shoes until 1963; these were replaced with the tongue shape shoes that they carried until they were retired in 1969.

Interestingly, the home-built BMT "C" units used subway-style third rail shoes right from the start.

As was noted earlier in this discussion, these unique cars lasted until 1956, operating on the old Fulton El.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bright sunny day back in 1973, we see the battered and grimy BMT "signal dolly" hard at work (at 148th and Willets) with a MABSTOA Fishbowl thrown in for good measure........aaahh, the nostalgia!! Wink

The huge WINSTON billboard also harkens back to a long-ago era in advertising, once as commonplace as cracks in the sidewalk......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1046

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4/All:

Some more historical third rail "trivia"........

*As late as 1966, the BMT yards at Fresh Pond, ENY, and Canarsie still were equipped with open el-style third rails, even though their respective main lines were not equipped with them.

The truss work at the station approaches at B'way and Bridge Streets required special runners to lit the paddle-type shoes high enough to clear the girders.

These were not actual third rails, but were constructed of wood; as a result, each car "went dark" going through them as a result.......

"NYO"

*Information was from an old SubChat discussion I had filed quite awhile back.....
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the no-comment feature on nycsubway.org strikes. The Steve Zabel photo of fishbowl 6578 is taken at 148th and WILLIS Avenue, Bronx, not Willets.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Again, the no-comment feature on nycsubway.org strikes. The Steve Zabel photo of fishbowl 6578 is taken at 148th and WILLIS Avenue, Bronx, not Willets.

N4:

Always appreciate a New Yorker to correctly caption a vintage transit photo; being a "Joisey Boy", I generally assume the caption to be correct, unless the error is so glaring that even I can notice it!

In any event, it is still quite a nostalgic photo, in so many ways.........(I was in junior high, way back then!) Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worthy of note are the surplus SIRT ME-1's which the NYCTA purchased after the SIRT abandoned passenger service on both the ARLINGTON (North Shore) and SOUTH BEACH lines.

These 1925-vintage cars (built by PRESSED STEEL) were transported via carfloat from Staten Island, to begin a new (albiet brief) stint on the BMT.

The TA purchased 25 ME-1 motors as well as the 5 remaining trailers; these cars were shopped at the Coney Island shops.

The distinctive headlights were removed, and subway-style Axiflow fans were installed; the four end windows were covered over so that number plates could be mounted.

BMT Standard door controls were installed between the center doors, and the reversible seats were bolted into place, thus requiring half the seated passengers to ride backwards.

Metal destination plates, salvaged from scrapped "BU" cars, were also installed.

The ex-SIRT cars (numbered #2900-#2924) were usually assigned to CULVER-NASSAU service, or on shuttle service late nights and weekends.

They also operated on the NASSAU LOCAL, and the FRANKLIN AVENUE shuttle.

By 1961, the old SIRT cars were retired, and were scrapped during 1962.

A few cars ended their days as yard offices.

Growing up in the 60's, my mother and I made many excursions on the SIRT, back in the days of ME-1's and grade crossings.........great old memories, you may be sure........ Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat May 06, 2017 11:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: