BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Interesting Height Comparison'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: 'Interesting Height Comparison' Reply with quote

I happened to be riding down Wilshire Boulevard here in Los Angeles yesterday following an old English double decker site seeing bus (probably a Leyland - but Washie can correct me on that).

Most of the second deck was open with only the first couple of rows covered by the original closed body, and the colour of the bus was red (see reasonable facsimile below).

The coach was in the left lane ahead of me when along comes a Nabi 60BRT on the right which pulls up side by side with the DD at a traffic light.

What struck me was the fact that the 60BRT was almost the same height as the DD.

My conclusion was that either we're building single deckers higher than ever or the British in general are shorter people!

BTW; the temperature in the 'Mid Wilshire' area yesterday afternoon must have reached 95 degrees, and it sure looked like the idiots on the upper level were frying!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Interesting Height Comparison' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

BTW; the temperature in the 'Mid Wilshire' area yesterday afternoon must have reached 95 degrees, and it sure looked like the idiots on the upper level were frying!

Maybe they were from Arizona enjoying the "cool" weather! Laughing
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you ride the Fifth Avenue coach that the Transit Museum puts on display (the model from the 1940's), you realize how the conductors must have stooped.
When I rode them, I was not yet a teen-ager. It's only in recent years that I noticed how low the ceilings were. Mom said that (during the 1920's), the conductor on the open-top bus around 110th Street would remind the people on top not to stand, the girders of the Ninth Avenue el being the problem.
Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: