BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scrapping Brooklyn's trolleybuses/infrastructure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No info here on this most unusual BMT Division "service truck"; note trolley buses in the background.

LOVE that classic BMT herald on the truck door! Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3624

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more nostalgic "way back when" views.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3335

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4009

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3113

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please allow several comments about the photo of 3006 turning from Georgia Avenue onto eastbound Atlantic Avenue.
http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3113
---
Note the young fan taking a photo. Note the metal curve on the wire, a type of curve that streetcars did not use.
---
I have no memory of riding the streetcar on St. John's Place, but apparently by the end of service, the east end was bent down to the Canarsie Depot on Rockaway Pkwy. I became interested in the stringing of double wire along Livingston Street, and on a rare exploration of the new trolleybus lines, Dad and I somehow rode from downtown to the trolleybus yard on Bergen St. I was aware that the cramped destination sign above the driver read "Pennsylvania" or "Pennsylvania Ave." The photo New York City Omnibus 2629 refers to shows a St. John's Place trackless trolley on the terminal loop, leaving Georgia and Pennsylvania two blocks ahead.
---
That's part of Brooklyn we did not explore in the 1940's because the trolleys were gone.
---
Nycsubway.org says that trackless service on Route 45 east of Ralph was cut back on May 1, 1954. I do remember the destination sign "Ralph." Because of the Ralph-Rockaway streetcar, that was familiar territory.
---

Last edited by N4 Jamaica on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

Always great hearing from someone like yourself who has personal memories to share; it truly gives a whole new perspective to any given vintage photo! Wink

Growing up in the early/mid 60's (after both streetcars and trolleybuses were gone from Brooklyn's streets), Mom and I would come in from New Jersey, so I could experience the New York transit scene of that era; I loved anything on rails under (and above) Brooklyn streets, but, I have to admit, my faves, by far, were the famed and ancient "Standards".....man, did those old electrified dinosaurs have PERSONALITY! Very Happy

Sadly, we never got to rode any Brooklyn bus routes. Sad

How many times, in past years, did I visit the NYCTM and stare at that huge old B&QT trolleybus model and think to myself:

"......man, if that were only mine......." Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trolley bus #3017, at the Vernon Blvd. loop, on a long-ago day.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3101

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.otg)
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good photo of the destination sign that has little height, maybe only three inches. The driver has yet to change the roller to the next terminal, maybe "Civic Center," a name that was more futuristic than "Sands St."
---
The Graham streetcar crossed to Park Row, Manhattan. On Friday, March 9, 1945, a wooden trolley car, packed with workers from the Navy Yard, lost its air brakes on the slope into Manhattan and jumped at the S-curve created when the route left former el tracks and entered the wider terminal loop. The injured totaled 54, but no life was lost. The report can be found on page 1 of the NY Times for the next day.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
This is a good photo of the destination sign that has little height, maybe only three inches. The driver has yet to change the roller to the next terminal, maybe "Civic Center," a name that was more futuristic than "Sands St."
---
The Graham streetcar crossed to Park Row, Manhattan. On Friday, March 9, 1945, a wooden trolley car, packed with workers from the Navy Yard, lost its air brakes on the slope into Manhattan and jumped at the S-curve created when the route left former el tracks and entered the wider terminal loop. The injured totaled 54, but no life was lost. The report can be found on page 1 of the NY Times for the next day.

N4:

Appreciate this info; fortunate indeed that no lives were lost in this accident.

There is a photo in Stan Fischler's "CONFESSIONS OF A BROOKLYN TROLLEY DODGER" (page #108) showing a collision at Park Row between an older streetcar and a PCC; the older car (a Peter Witt) ended up lying on its side, with the PCC (ahead of it) derailed.

Several line poles and a lot of overhead wires also came down, creating quite a tangle of wreckage afterwards; hopefully, there were no fatalities in this accident.

No date was given, but I am guessing sometime between 1944 and 1950........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early/mid-1950's view of a trolleybus meeting an oncoming PCC (Sands St., near Gold St.)

This is another fairly rare view depicting the rear of a Brooklyn trolleybus.......

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/nyc/htm/bqt026.htm

(courtesy: newdavesrailpix)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's #3026, "making the appointed rounds", September , 1956.....

http://www.trolleybuses.net/nop/htm/usa_h_nop_sl_3026_19560911_ss.htm

(courtesy: toms's trolleybuses.net)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: