BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fordham Rd & Arthur Avenue, 1940's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Fordham Rd & Arthur Avenue, 1940's Reply with quote

All:

Just dug this nostalgic old Bronx street scene from my files.....truly a classic image of a long-lost Bronx!

Any clues as to what company was running that handsome "antique" on the left.....??

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116607

(courtesy: nycsubway.otg)
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need Mr. Linsky's help for identification of that eastbound bus. Yes, the location is looking west from Arthur Avenue. The old building with the slanted roof can still be seen on Google Street View next to a Shell gasoline station. The C car is correct; I rode convertibles there. Why the eastbound streetcar carries the letter Z may indicate it was some sort of carbarn run. The Z did not use Fordham Road, but East 180th. Possibly the motorman of an X 207th Street car could not find an X sign at the barn to hang over the Z. An eastbound 207th Street car at Arthur Avenue had only a few more blocks to go before reversing at Southern Blvd.
---
My guess is that the bus is Fordham Transit via Boston Road to New Rochelle and beyond. I rode postwar Macks on that line to Playland, Rye. So many automobiles are on the street that I cannot think this is a wartime photo. The corporate name was Reservoir (Transit?) at some period. BusTalk probably has a discussion with Mr. Linsky on Fordham or Reservoir's early limo service from around Mt. Eden Ave. to the Catskills. I recall his debate whether Fordham (or Reservoir) was a Bronx company or a Westchester company. It had Bronx roots.
---
Please note Theodore Roosevelt High School, opened in 1918. Note also Roger's Department store near Webster Avenue.
Joe McMahon
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We need Mr. Linsky's help for identification of that eastbound bus."

Unfortunately, we won't be getting Mr. Linsky's help again. From what I read on BusChat, he passed away on February 9. He was a major force behind this "New York City Buses" board but hadn't posted in a couple of years. May he rest in peace.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, Mr. Linsky's explanations on many topics exist in the threads we can still access.
I've long been amazed that by reading we can access the thoughts of people long gone from this world. We can read not only their narrative facts or views but also their considerations about important things in life. As for works of fiction (which I tend to avoid), we can enter the worlds which departed authors created. No wonder there is a vast field of helpful, enlightening literature.
---
We are accustomed to quick, pin-point searches on Bing or Google. However, searching BusTalk's thread "Vintage New York City," one must scroll through 148 pages to find the photo or explanation. The search engine indicates the thread, not the page!
Joe
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian wrote:

Unfortunately, we won't be getting Mr. Linsky's help again. From what I read on BusChat, he passed away on February 9. He was a major force behind this "New York City Buses" board but hadn't posted in a couple of years. May he rest in peace.

This is where BusChat got it from- [url] http://bustalk.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790 [/url]

Last edited by GBL Rebel on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
X-Astorian wrote:

This is where BusChat got it from- [url] http://bustalk.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4790 [/url]

Thank you. I wondered why I hadn't seen it here. It's because I only look at the New York City Buses forum - I don't believe that I ever clicked on Member Introductions and Announcements - to be better informed maybe I should in the future.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We, as a board, were lucky enough that Mr. Linsky's family was willing to entertain myself approaching them and questioning his well being. There was updates given and even some limited direct contact with Mr. L himself. To my knowledge, this is the only site that had any updates on Mr. L. Hart Bus was nice enough to pass it to BusChat. I know the GM Old Look group on Yahoo! found out, I assume from the post here.

The bus fan community absolutely took a hit the day Mr. L fell ill, and a couple rib kicks the day he passed.
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite a picture! I attended Fordham University from 1975 to 1980, and before I got my NYS driver's license, I commuted to Fordham from Flushing each day by subway and then by bus, so by the time I was there, that street scene had changed dramatically. The Bx12 and Bx20 (as it was called back then; today it is the Bx 9) both plied that stretch of E. Fordham Rd. When I rode them, the buses were green or blue TDH 5303's. The steeple in the distance might have been atop Theodore Roosevelt High School. In the late afternoons I would wait at the bus stop just outside Roosevelt to catch a Mabstoa Fishbowl headed toward Pelham Bay IRT station (and my connection with Queens Transit's QBx1 to get me to Main St.-Roosevelt Ave, to grab the Q65 for home). Those Bx12's often were so packed with standees that I had to wait until White Plains Rd. to pay my fare! Even for a bus fan, that was a pretty long trip, but MTA and QTC always got me there and back safely, and I would not trade the memories for anything Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: