BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bensonhurster starts Ridge-to-Manhattan bus service

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Bensonhurster starts Ridge-to-Manhattan bus service Reply with quote

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2017/7/br-private-express-bus-to-manhattan-2017-02-17-bk.html

Quote:

Bang, zoom — straight to Manhattan!

A Bensonhurst bus driver is launching an express service for Bay Ridgites who are fed up with the R train and sick of forking over a small fortune each week to ride Metropolitan Transportation Authority express buses into Manhattan. The service, Four Hearts Transportation, will put rubber to road in March and is geared toward riders who are looking for more of an experience than a mere morning commute, according to the modern-day Ralph Kramden behind the wheel.

“I want to be part of the people’s routine. When they come on the bus they’ll see a friendly face everyday,” said James King, who drives school buses by day and also drives visitors to the Upstate Correctional Facility in Malone, NY, for conjugal visits. “If you give people a good ride, make them feel comfortable. They’ll come back.”

A one-way ride on King’s line will cost $5 — compared to $6.50 for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s express bus — and a weekday commuter book that will run Ridgites $40 with the fifth day of rides free.

King expects to lure customers with the prospect of a cheaper ride, he said.

“It’s all about giving people an affordable, reliable alternative,” he said. “The people out here just want something they can call their own.”

Bay Ridge has two Manhattan-bound express buses run by the transit authority — the X27 to downtown Manhattan and the X37 to midtown.

King’s route — inspired by the now-defunct Metro Apple Express — will start at 97th and Third Avenue, wind through Brooklyn (making stops along the way), speed into the financial district, and wrap up in midtown. King will pick up straphangers along the route starting at 7:50 am and return the way he came starting at 5:20 pm, he said.

His flagship engine is a 1985 General Motors bus with fire-engine red pleather upholstery and a sleek, silver paint job. The bus is registered with the city and undergoes safety inspections every six months — the most recent inspection was Feb. 7. King bought the set of wheels up in Massachusetts, where it ran as a campus shuttle for the University of Massachusetts, and restored the dilapidated bus to its former glory.

“She needed some love, so I fixed her up,” said King. “She has that old-school vibe. It makes people stop and take a peak. The looks on their faces are just unbelievab­le.”

But the service isn’t just an excuse to get Ridgites cruising in ’80s style. King’s father was a Metropolitan Transportation Authority bus driver for a handful of decades, and running a bus service is one way to preserve his memory, said King.

“This is how I keep my dad’s spirit alive,” he said. “I’m a sentimental knucklehead when I want to be.”

Reach reporter Caroline Spivack at cspivack@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2523. Follow her on Twitter @carolinespivack.
Updated 9:34 am, February 10, 2017
©2017 COMMUNITY NEWS GROUP[img][/img]
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always like to see an entrepreneur try to fill a niche service....
One caveat...that's an ancient vehicle he is using, and I wonder what happens to his rider's if it fails? Revert to the MTA, I suppose....
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay Ridge Express

New Bus Service on 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge
BEGINS MONDAY MARCH 6TH

AM Travel-Bay Ridge to Financial District
Church Street to 6th Avenue and 57th Street

7:50 AM 1st Stop - 97th Street and 3rd Avenue
97th Street
95th Street
7:51 92nd Street
88th Street
7:55 86th Street
83rd Street
80th Street
75th Street
72nd Street
Bayridge Avenue
7:57 65th Street (Middle of Block)

PM Return Stops from Manhattan to Bay Ridge

2:45 PM 5:22 PM
1st Stop-Between 58th and 57th Street, 6th Avenue (Middle of Block)
51st Street
47th Street
43rd Street
2:55 40th Street 5:32
35th Street
32nd Street
3:03 23rd Street 5:40
3:11 14th Street 5:48
Waverly Place
Houston Street
Canal Street
Duane Street
3:18 Barclay Street 5:55
Vesey Street
3:20 Liberty Street
Exchange Place 5:57
Battery Place

ROUND TRIP-Buy 4 tickets get 1 Free; 5 Trips only $40

bayridgexpress730@gmail.com

(718) 413-3515
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: