BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Alan Linsky 1938-2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Mr. Alan Linsky 1938-2017 Reply with quote

It is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes I report the passing of our resident historian Mr. Alan Linsky. I received a phone call this morning, from Mr. Linsky's family, notifying of his passing on the evening of February 9, 2017.

Mr. Linsky abruptly left this forum due to health issues. After multiple internet searches by multiple members, Mr. Linsky's family was located. Through the family, Mr. Linsky was told of the members of this board searching for him. Not only was Mr. Linsky touched by this, so was his family.

Mr. Linsky always asked about this board whenever we spoke. It was his wish to return to posting here as he mentioned this every time we spoke. Unfortunately, Mr. Linsky never had the opportunity.

At this time, I would ask that Mr. Linsky and his family be kept in your thoughts and prayers.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an honor to get to know you personally and a privilege to post with you on the forums. When I reach the bus garage in the sky, I will look in the chauffeur's room for you.

Rest In Peace, Mr. L.. You Will Be Missed.
MarkW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky certainly was THE bustalk welcoming committee. He made all who joined feel welcome. He will be missed. RIP Mr. Linsky.
JimmiB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news. It was Mr. L who led me to this forum. It was an honor to think that he and I had driven some of the same buses.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Rest In Peace Mr. Linsky.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An absolute shock coupled with extreme sadness. I met Mr. L through this board and became friendly with him. I once took the LIRR into Brooklyn to have lunch with him along with meeting him in Carle Place at the Sea Crest Diner.

He was a gentleman who treated my wife and I to lunch at Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills and was appreciative of our donation to Mrs. L's favorite charity when she passed.

We will remember him when we look back on all his posts. He will be missed.

To GBL Rebel - Thank you for your extraordinary work in tracking him down and keeping us informed. You are something special for doing this for us.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
An absolute shock coupled with extreme sadness. I met Mr. L through this board and became friendly with him. I once took the LIRR into Brooklyn to have lunch with him along with meeting him in Carle Place at the Sea Crest Diner.

I was heading to Cedarhurst/Woodmere to grab lunch when I received the phone call.

Ironic/Coincidence? Strange how that worked out.

Hart Bus wrote:
To GBL Rebel - Thank you for your extraordinary work in tracking him down and keeping us informed. You are something special for doing this for us.

Thank you for this. I would do this for anybody though. Not sure which is worse, not knowing back then or knowing exactly now. The only "cushion" to Mr. L's passing, for me anyway, is we know what caused him to disappear and there was information to his well being prior to this. I can assure you he was being taken care of very well, he told me this in a early conversation.

Last edited by GBL Rebel on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Mr. L always looked out for Bus Talk, so maybe if you believe in karma............
BrooklynBus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought of him as the President of this board because you were always assured of finding a recent post from him. May he rest in peace.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm deeply saddened by this news.
I feel as if I have just lost a kindly uncle, although I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person.
Through the manner in which he contributed his many posts at BTN, I always felt Mr. Linsky was a true gentleman and a person of great class and dignity.
I think we all enjoyed sharing Mr. L's deep love of NYC buses, and Green Bus Lines in particular. I always was impressed with his keen ability to find the most amazing historical photos: Sherlock Holmes himself would have been hard pressed to do better detective work. Mr. L was equally skilled with his use of the keyboard: he was truly an eloquent and knowledgeable New Yorker who loved all things transit related.
A few years ago, Jeep commercials stated, "The things we make, make us."
I think we all would agree that Mr. Linsky worked tirelessly in his generous support of BTN and made it a truly special place.
Rest in peace, Mr. L.
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this. We both once lived in the same neighborhood, years apart. Though we've never met, we used to communicate via private message on this site.
Alan was once concerned about the disappearance of another webmaster and asked me if I had heard anything. I did a web search and found some info that he was fine, reassuring Alan.
He will be missed.
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A living encyclopedia on all things buses, especially the Green Line buses.

His message in my introduction:

Quote:
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

GojiMet86,

Everybody seems to have beaten me to the punch here but that's good because it reflects our eagerness to meet new members and to share ideas with them - and that's what this is all about!

Anyway, let me also welcome you aboard and say that we look forward to your valued contributions.

Many regards,

Mr. 'L'
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip Mr Linsky
kdr3bt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP He will be missed.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In today's (February 12, 2017) N.Y. Times, there is an obituary for Mr. Linsky.
TransitChuckG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Mr. Alan Linsky Reply with quote

Although I never met him, I feel a great sense of loss. RIP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: