BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Vintage Queens Photos'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: 'Vintage Queens Photos' Reply with quote

Pictured below is the intersection of Queens Boulevard and Union Turnpike (Kew Gardens/Forest Hills line) circa the mid thirties.

Notice the freshly minted stonework of the now Jackie Robinson Parkway to Brooklyn.

Also prominent in the photo, and most interesting to you streetcar fans, are the trolley tracks of the Manhattan and Queens Electric Railway Company which became the Q60 bus route of the Manhattan and Queens Bus Corporation in 1937.

The tracks ran along the boulevard service roads from Manhattan and converged in the upper center of the picture to travel further south to Jamaica.

A sharp eye can detect the catenary wires strung along special arms on the street lamps.

Most of the buildings depicted have remained unchanged over the past seventy years.

Enjoy.

Photo courtesy of; Joe DeMay (Old Kew Gardens.com)

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice of photos, Mr. L.
That intersection looks a lot different today.
Isn't it a little ironic that Queens Blvd. had "light rail vehicles" many years ago (and pollution was not an issue at the time).
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: 'Vintage Queens Photos' Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for the compliment - BTW; the old building upper right of the picture was the original Kew-Forest Theater, which was subsequently torn down for stores.

It was also the subway entry that North Shore Bus Company serviced before the city takeover (Q44).

I spent a long weekend in San Francisco at the beginning of the month and marveled at the variety of both new and old light rail throughout the city.

As smart as they were up there, that's how stupid the city fathers of both Los Angeles and New York were!

I guess we have to give credit to GM and Harvey Firestone for the 'terrific' job they did in wiping out the trolley industry!

I have attached another picture of the same intersection looking east which must have been taken immediately after the trolley tracks were removed.

BTW; these pictures originally come from the Library of Congress.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Etc.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo below is 'astounding' (at least to me) because its something that I have been looking for for years and have finally found!

This is a Manhattan and Queens Electric Railway Company car on Queens Boulevard at 69th. Street in Woodside heading to Jamaica sometime about 1935.

These two man crew trolleys operated this one thirteen mile route from 2nd. Avenue in Manhattan to South Jamaica from 1914 to 1937 when the line was motorized as the Q60.

The cars traveled on the express side of the service road islands until they converged at Union Turnpike.

I do have other shots of equal importance that I will submit in series in this forum.

The picture has been borrowed for educational purposes only and comes from the Bill Volkmer Collection.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, New York

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: 'Queens Boulevard Trolleys' Reply with quote

Here's another fabulous photo from the Bill Volkmer Collection (circa mid thirties) depicting Manhattan & Queens Traction car #114 (New York bound) on Archer Avenue in Jamaica passing the Long Island Rail Road terminal on the right.

While Manhattan and Queens Electric Railway Company (predecessor to the Manhattan and Queens Bus Corporation) was not part of any other entity, it did share trackage with the Brooklyn and Queens Transit Company in Jamaica and with other lines crossing the Queenborough Bridge.

#114 was a center entrance and exit operation with both a conductor and motorman.

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Rockaway, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos, Mr. Linsky. One certainly had their choice of transportation in those days. Wish I could have been there back then to ride the streetcars, the els, and watch our favorite buses evolve!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: 'Vintage Queens Photos' Reply with quote

Below is a shot of gridlocked Rockaway bound traffic on Crossbay Boulevard on a sizzling summer afternoon circa 1950.

Aside from the school bus standing at the curb probably overheated, notice in the background what appear to be two GM 'Old Looks' the first of which having what looks like the familiar cream colored bib of Green Bus Lines under the windshield (I think we need an expert 'forensic' photographer on this one because I've got to have that bus number!).

Actually, Green Line and Triboro were the only two franchised companies to run the route.

Photo is from unknown origin, and borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Rockaway, NY

Pipe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Linsky. Great pictures from the good old days. "Pipe"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: