BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Another of Mr. L's Stories'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: 'Another of Mr. L's Stories' Reply with quote

The following is another of the many essays that I originally presented on BTN, and now reprise here for your enjoyment.

I had said that I was running out of stories but I do remember one about the very beginnings of what is now ‘JFK’ Airport which might be of interest, and I have placed it in the Green Line forum because of its relevance.

Idlewild Airport (which was named originally for the tiny town that it occupied in southern Queens), was officially opened sometime in 1948.

I was all of ten years old at the time (I guess I’ve just given away my age) but I remember going to the grand opening (which was referred to as an ‘exposition’) with my father.

Upon entering the property we were directed to one of a number of makeshift parking fields on the outskirts where buses then took us to the grandstands.
Ah yes, the buses; I seem to remember that they were CofNYBOT ‘paired window’ old looks which must have been brand new at the time (probably either 5101’s or 4510’s which arrived in 1948).

I was amazed at the vastness of the field, and the fact that it was still so baron frightened me.
There was no eleven story control tower yet and the main ‘terminal’ (if that was what you could have called it) was no more than a very large military style Quonset hut.

There were several huge hangars in construction on the far eastern end of the property, and a group of small brick buildings stood in the same direction (one of which was unquestionably the old Green Line Cornell Park garage).

The event was very much like an air show complete with acrobatic displays.
There was one unfortunate incident which involved a radio controlled miniature airplane that collided with the chimney of one of those brick structures (I can’t say whether it was the GBL garage or not).

It was in this same time frame that Green Bus Lines was awarded exclusive ‘transit’ rights to the facility, and the Richmond Hill Circle branch of the Q10 line was extended all the way in to the terminal (actually, the only stop at the time!).

Most of the Q10 airport passenger base was not made up of air travelers (they usually came from Manhattan via cab or Carey bus) but of airport personnel including cockpit crews and flight attendants that shared ‘layover’ apartments in Kew Gardens and Richmond Hill.

The main concrete access road (now an extension of Van Wyck) was completed and became a ‘raceway’ especially for the fast Carey Flxible Clippers (followed by their 4104’s and 4106’s). We were all convinced that Carey made some deal with the Port Authority Police because they never touched them. Of course, the Green Line Diesels with broken governors were no slowpokes either!

The ‘austere’ operation at Idlewild (which then became NY International) lasted for a number of years until the late fifties when passenger travel really began to explode with the introduction of long range jets.
The rest, as they say, is history!

I have another interesting memory of the airport; I became fast friends with one of the original ‘hired’ Green Line drivers by the name of Dick Houston (the hired drivers began to proliferate around 1934 when the business increased to the point that the ‘stockholder’ drivers could no longer cover all the runs).

Dick drove a P.M. shift on Q10 alternating between Hamilton Beach and the airport and I used to ride along with him once in a while when I had nothing else to do.

This was a particularly cold and snowy evening in the dead of winter and, as we approached the airport, the storm turned into a blizzard!
As I remember, we did get the passengers to the terminal but there was no way we were going to get out the same way we came in! (It was so bad that the rubber door edges became covered in frost!).

Fortunately, Dick new of a short cut over the runways that got us to the back road and eventually to what is now JFK depot (and that’s where a bunch of us spent that night!).

Below is a GM ad campaign shot taken at the new main terminal in 1952 showing off Green Line #352 - a just delivered TDH 5104.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airports were great places back then when you could go to watch the planes. I don't go near them anymore.

Nice picture of the GBL bus at the airport! Would have been a more convincing ad for increasing earnings if it had a full compliment of passengers! Laughing
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story, Mr. L!
I remember seeing those dark green Carey Clippers on the LIE when I was a kid; those buses were fast! I think they ran between LGA, JFK, and the East Side Airlines Terminal in Midtown. They were replaced by PD-4104's and PD-4106's.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Nice story, Mr. L!
I remember seeing those dark green Carey Clippers on the LIE when I was a kid; those buses were fast! I think they ran between LGA, JFK, and the East Side Airlines Terminal in Midtown. They were replaced by PD-4104's and PD-4106's.

Bob,

There was a very good reason why the Flxible 'Airporters' were so fast;

From their very beginning as a side car manufacturer back in 1912 the company had a very close relationship with Buick and eventually began building bus bodies on mostly Buick frames.

Of course, the Buick engine was always included in the package and, in later years, became the famous 'Fireball' Straight Eight that powered all Flxible Clippers through the fifties.

If you remember the old Humphrey Bogart thrillers (circa 1940's), you'll remember that they always used big black Buick limos in chase scenes that wound around mountain passes and, man, they rolled!

All of the Clippers of the era carried the familiar porcelain Buick logo on the engine cowl.

For more information on the history of Flxible go to; http://www.coachbuilt.com/index.htm (under bus body builders)

See reasonable facsimile of a Carey Airporter below.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
Airports were great places back then when you could go to watch the planes. I don't go near them anymore.

Nice picture of the GBL bus at the airport! Would have been a more convincing ad for increasing earnings if it had a full compliment of passengers! Laughing

Dave,

How right you are about what airports used to be!

Before Idlewild/Kennedy we had just La Guardia which, in those days, was nothing more than a typical local airport and planes were boarded by steps up from the Tarmac (no jetways yet).

The interesting part of La Guardia was the full length observation deck above the terminal (exactly like a boardwalk at the beach) where you were free to go up to watch either for a plane you expected to arrive or one taking off with friends (a real small town feeling!).

We did 'Sinatra' some years ago and one of the scenes in which we supplied the vintage vehicles was shot at Long Beach (Ca.) Airport which was resigned to be La Guardia for the film.

It really does still look like La Guardia did back in the forties.

I'm telling you; we're living in the wrong time!

Mr. 'L'
Cyberider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

I'm telling you; we're living in the wrong time!

Mr. 'L'

Ain't that the truth, Mr. Linsky!

Phoenix Sky Harbor Terminal 1, now gone, had an observation deck on top where you could go and watch the planes. They even had binoculars mounted to stands that you could put in a nickel and get a better view. Airports were fun places back then, not mini police states like we have now.

I wish Doc Brown and his DeLorean time machine would show up to take us back to 1955 or before! Laughing
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:

I wish Doc Brown and his DeLorean time machine would show up to take us back to 1955 or before! Laughing

Nah! I would prefer Mr. Peabody's Way-Back machine, so long as he leaves that nerd, Sherman behind.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: 'Science Fiction that could become Science Fact' Reply with quote

Science Fiction that could become Science Fact!

If you were to move away from the Earth fast enough (and I'm talking at speeds of about a billion times that of light), and you had a powerful enough telescope you could actually see the images projected from 1950 as they continue traveling through space forever!

I know what Einstein said about not being able to exceed the speed of light, but I don't really believe it, and I think we will eventually break that barrier!

In the meantime, I'll just keep watching old 'Star Trek' episodes!

Mr. 'L' (I wouldn't sign my full name to this one!).
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Q65A wrote:
Nice story, Mr. L!

Bob,

There was a very good reason why the Flxible 'Airporters' were so fast;

From their very beginning as a side car manufacturer back in 1912 the company had a very close relationship with Buick and eventually began building bus bodies on mostly Buick frames.

Of course, the Buick engine was always included in the package and, in later years, became the famous 'Fireball' Straight Eight that powered all Flxible Clippers through the fifties.

If you remember the old Humphrey Bogart thrillers (circa 1940's), you'll remember that they always used big black Buick limos in chase scenes that wound around mountain passes and, man, they rolled!

All of the Clippers of the era carried the familiar porcelain Buick logo on the engine cowl.

For more information on the history of Flxible go to; http://www.coachbuilt.com/index.htm (under bus body builders)

See reasonable facsimile of a Carey Airporter below.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Bob,

Pictured below is just the kind of Buick limo I was talking about, and could these buggers roll!

Picture borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Horbet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne NY

BrooklynBus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 'Science Fiction that could become Science Fact' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Science Fiction that could become Science Fact!

The other day I was reminded of visits I had made around 1960 or a little later to my step uncle who was a podiatrist. He would always take me aside and tell me stories. My father warned me that he was a little "crazy" and I shouldn't really believe him. He would tell me that one day man would be walking on the moon and we would be sending rockets to Mars and Venus and he would explain how the rockets would work and tell me about the journey. I would think my father is right, this guy is nuts.

But now when I think about it, everything he predicted did happen. Now I'm sorry I didn't pay closer attention. He might have spoken about telephones without wires or music you could put in small box and carry around with you.

Also, I seem to recall some old maps referring to Idlewild Airport as Major Andersen Airport. Did it have two names?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrooklynBus,

Not to take away from your step uncle's ability to predict but, by 1960 the 'space race' was already heating up what with 'Sputnik's' launch in 1957 followed very quickly with our own successful orbitings.

What your step uncle did have was a very good grasp of what these meager attempts would eventually lead to!

By the age of fourteen (1952), I had already reasoned that everything in space was orbiting something else and held in place by gravity (eg; the Moon around the Earth, the Earth around the Sun, the Sun around the Milky Way Galaxy, the Milky Way Galaxy around orbiting along with a 'local group' of galaxies etc).

From that postulation, I came to realize that something extremely large and very strong (gravity wise) must have been at the center of our own Galaxy to hold it together - I thought it would be a huge sphere of matter -it turned out to be a 'black hole'!

In my latest attempt at being a 'would be' astronomer I predict that our Universe may be one of 'billions' if not 'trillions' in existence, but I'm afraid we will never know if I'm right or wrong!

Back to reality; Idlewild was the original and only name for the airport taken from the name of the small town in which it was located (Major Anderson rings no bells at all).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, NY
BrooklynBus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

Unfortunately, my step uncle died just a couple of years later and never got to see us land on the moon.

I believe the latest thinking in astronomy agrees with your views that there are indeed billions of universes out there.

I just looked up Idlewild / JFK on wikopedia and it says that there once was an Idlewild golf course on part of the land.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrooklynBus wrote:
Mr. Linsky,

Unfortunately, my step uncle died just a couple of years later and never got to see us land on the moon.

I believe the latest thinking in astronomy agrees with your views that there are indeed billions of universes out there.

I just looked up Idlewild / JFK on wikopedia and it says that there once was an Idlewild golf course on part of the land.

BrooklynBus,

I know that this is a belated reply to your above observation but, as they say, 'better late than never'!

The point about the Idlewild Golf course is very interesting and may even answer another question that has irked me.

One of the terminations of Green Line's Q10 (Lefferts Blvd.) line was (and may still be) Richmond Hill Circle which is located south of the Belt Parkway at 130th. Street (just on the leading edge of the old town of Idlewild)

The actual town of Richmond Hill, which is adjacent to Kew Gardens, is miles away from the Belt Parkway, and I could never figure out why the remote area had a Richmond Hill association.

The rest of what I am about to utter is pure supposition with no evidence to substantiate it;

At the turn of the twentieth century the real Richmond Hill was already in full development with numbers of affluent people coming from the city to build very comfortable homes for themselves (some of those mini mansions still exist).

My thinking is that this wealth needed a playground and possibly bought land in the Idlewild area to build themselves a golf course.

What better name than 'Richmond Hill Circle'?

As I said, this is only speculation but I can't think of a more logical explanation.

I'll continue to peruse the history books to see if I'm right!

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
BrooklynBus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

I'll continue to peruse the history books to see if I'm right!

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Dear Mr. Linsky,

Very interesting indeed. Unfortunately, I can't help you not knowing that much about Queens history, but would be very interested in hearing what you can dig up.

I also wonder about such oddities myself, like why there once was a Brooklyn Manor in the middle of Queens?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrooklynBus,

I would imagine that just as the early settlers who migrated from the City of Brooklyn to what is now Nassau County (used to be part of Queens), and named their new settlement 'Lynbrook' (backwards for Brooklyn), it may be that another Brooklyn group moved themselves to Queens and dubbed their new area Brooklyn Manor.

If you're from Brooklyn or have ever had anything to do with Brooklyn (I was born there) you know that it has a 'charm' about it (even with the bodies that my boys float down Redhook! - only kidding) that carries with you wherever you go.

I would move back to Brooklyn in a 'New York minute' if it weren't for the weather - I miss it!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: