BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Linsky, MIA?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Mr. Linsky, MIA? Reply with quote

All:

Has anyone here have any idea as to why our "Lord High Alderman", the always infomative and highly knowledgeable Mr. Linsky has been absent from the board? (for quite some time, now)

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, and brought it to the attention of a few others, who also noticed his absence.

Anyone know what the story is here?

I certainly hope our good friend Mr. "L" is not ill and is doing OK.......he is truly a tremendous assett to this board, and our topics are not the same without his always-fascinating comments and historical trivia.....

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how my day is running (its Tax Season for this CPA) I will send him an e-mail on our behalf.

In his last e-mail to me, he mentioned that after being widowed for five years he has been seeing a woman from his synagogue that has been taking up a lot of his time.

Like you, I hope that this and not health issues, is taking up his time.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus:

Thanks.....please keep us posted if you hear anything.

Again, hope that Mr. "L" has been busy and not ill; he indeed is the cornerstone of this board, and his valuable input and insight have both been greatly missed since his absence.....

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly after my post on 4/7, I placed a call to Mr. L's cellphone. After the greeting the call went straight to voice mail. Left a message but haven't heard back

My next two plans of action is to place a call to another number I have. I think it is his house phone. If no rapid response, I will send a letter to his business mailbox in California and hope someone will open it and respond.

I know that his daughter has a fabric store on Atlantic Avenue between Nevins Street and Third Avenue. I don't remember the name and don't have the store's number. I don't get into Brooklyn anymore so I can't go into the store and inquire. If any other board member does get to that area I can give a few more details for them to stop in and find out what is happening.

Mr. L has often referred to his college days when he drove for GBL during the summers. I didn't go back to read his posts, but I seem to remember that it was the late 1940's and/or early 1950's. If he was 20 years old at the time, that would peg his age at about 85. I guess the frailties of old age are starting to catch up to him.

If I hear anything I will immediately post it here.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L drove for GBL during the summers of the early 60's.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was off by 10 years in my guesstimate of his age.

As mentioned this AM, I am going have to go to Plan B in the search. I finished my work early so I figured I'd celebrate Tax Day by going for a long overdue haircut. After I started up my car, I dialed a number that I had shown as Mr. L's house phone. Got a recording that the number is no longer in service.

I hope that the elimination of the land line is just a cost cutting move and nothing else.

Plan B means I will write a letter to his company this weekend and see if someone, hopefully him, responds. The business address appears to be one of the walk-in mail locations operated by Kinko's or one of those type places.

Will post as soon as I here something.
frankie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Anyone know the whereabouts of Mr. L? Reply with quote

It's been almost 2 months since he posted here and I'm beginning to wonder if he is all right healthwise. I PM him a few weeks ago and haven't received a response.

Frankie
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie:

I and at least one other poster share your concerns. Please look at my recent posts (Hartbus) on the Member Introduction section of this board to see what I've done to try and contact him.

I like you are hoping his absence is due to health issues.

Stay tuned.

Hart Bus
frankie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know Mr. L's full name? I'm thinking his first name is Alan. This will help me with my own personal online search.

I already fine-tooth combed Google Map's street level search of both sides of Atlantic Avenue between Third and Nevins for his sister's fabric store, but unless disguised as another business, I could not find it. I was hoping to obtain the name and address for further searching. Perhaps someone can retrace my steps with Google Maps. White Pages dot com listed six pages of fabric stores in Brooklyn but none at the above locale.

Also, was his latest address in California or on Long Island?

Frankie
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,

You actually are doing exactly what I did either Tuesday or Wednesday. You have the first name right, but it does not go very far in the search. I tried searching by Mr.L's name and got almost nowhere. The Google Street View also returned no absolute answer for me as to the store. I see a road trip in my future, unless I have one of my "moles" in the area. I am also finding different computers return different results, which really is not helping me The old XP computer next to the Win7, hooked up to the same router, both giving different results from the internet tablet that went wireless through the router.

GBL Rebel
JimmiB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also was searching the web for information. Found out very little that I didn't already know. His first name is Alan and the last I knew he was living in Brentwood, Contra Costa County, CA.
frankie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some more reseach and this is what I found. Mr. L's name is Alan P (possibly Peter) Linsky age 76.

Google search shows that he resides in Sherman Oaks, California in the LA area at 13601 Ventura Blvd. However, Google images shows this to be part of a block long single story stores with said address being a corner barber shop.

His Woodmere, NY address is 964 Broadway, but images also shows this to be a corner single business - a salon and day spa. I wonder if there is a connection between the two?

Possible relative is Alma S. Linsky.

I can not find a Brentwood, Ca connection.

Looks like some more dead ends (for now).

Frankie
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,

You are correct in all you have said. Alma Linsky passed away about 5 years ago, and is the beloved wife of our Mr. Linsky.

To All,

I want to personally thank everybody for their efforts in trying to gather information to further our search for Mr. Linsky.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Frankie et al:

Like GBL Rebel I am also appreciative of all efforts to find out about our beloved Mr. L.

I would like to post some comments to prevent us from "spinning our wheels".

I have been friends with Mr. L. for as long as I have been on Bus-Talk. He has been a fairly private person, choosing not to go on any social media sites. We would e-mail each other. From those e-mails and conversations and lunches, he said that he lived in the Brentwood SECTION of Los Angeles, not the Brentwood CITY or TOWN that you stumbled upon. They are two separate areas with the same name.

Mr. L lived the the LA Brentwood and claimed to live close to where O. J. Simpson did his dastardly deed.

He did not let me know that he had moved to Sherman Oaks. When I found an aerial view of the address, these old eyes hoped that it was a nursing home, but your comment disputed my hope. When my wife and I had to go to California in 2005 & 2006 we stayed at a Courtyard By Marriott at 15433 Ventura Blvd. IIRC Ventura Blvd is a main drag, with at least two lanes in each direction and LAMTA runs articulated buses on it. The street is all commercial, similar to a Jericho Turnpike, Hillside Avenue, etc. That's why I thought nursing home, not private residence. I guess keeping up a house for one person got to be too much for him.

Mr. L has lived on the left coast for many years, but may keep an address in NY so he can still keep his NY plates on his 1970's Delta 88, that he drove to Neiman-Marcus in Beverly Hills to treat my wife and I to lunch at that swanky joint.

Alma S. Linsky was his wife of many, many years. She died in the 4th quarter of 2009. I gave a donation in her honor to her favorite charity and my check is dated Dec. 20, 2009.

Let us all pray that this search turns up good news.
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information. Didn't realize there were two Brentwoods. Mr. L had mentioned at one time about living near O.J.
My prayers also that this turns out well.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: