BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

165th St. Terminal - scraping and more scraping! OUCH!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: 165th St. Terminal - scraping and more scraping! OUCH! Reply with quote

I've had several opportunities to personally witness buses leaving the 165th St. Terminal in Jamaica and turning westbound onto 89th Ave.

The exiting is notorious for it's ground clearance on the front overhang of many of the newer buses as the front wheels drop off the slight elevated curb as it makes its turn to the left. With caution, many bus drivers are aware of it and do successfully maneuver the bus with an inch or two to spare without scraping. However on occasion, you can't help hearing the grinding noise when one of the overhangs make contact with the street.

The following Hempstead bus demonstrates one example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90i3nF8tL-M

Frankie

165 st depot 3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.05 KB
 Viewed:  7048 Time(s)

165 st depot 3.JPG

165 st depot 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.58 KB

165 st depot 2.JPG

165 st depot 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.21 KB

165 st depot 1.JPG

frankie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a street view photo of the terminal and the exit route.

Frankie

165 st depot.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.64 KB
 Viewed:  7040 Time(s)

165 st depot.JPG

JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen several places where they didn't take the overhang into consideration when planing parking for buses. I took a chorus to Altoona for a competition. I arrived at a club where they were hosting all the groups for a party. Dropped my passengers off and a security guard told me to park at the top of a sloped lot. There was a small drainage ditch at the street side of the lot. I told him that I don't think I can get onto the lot without the ass end hitting the street. He said I can make it because they park buses there all the time. I turned onto the lot and sure enough the rear overhang hit the street and lifted the drive wheels off the ground. The club ended up paying to get a wrecker out to pull the MC-9 back onto the street.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: