BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSNJ 4104/4106's to the Shore
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: PSNJ 4104/4106's to the Shore Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

From 1967 through the summer of 1970, I remember taking a PS bus line with my folks from the old PS terminal at Journal Square in Jersey City, to visit cousins down the shore who then lived in Manasquan.

Previously, we took a CNJ train from Jersey City to Manasquan, before the trains were rerouted to Newark, with the start of the Aldene Plan in 1967.

My mother didn't feel comfortable going out to Newark to get the CNJ, as the Newark riots had, understandably, unnerved her.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe we got off the bus at Asbury Park, where either my uncle or older cousin would pick us up.

I can remember riding on either a 4104 or a 4106 out of Journal Square, and still think that the smooth sounds of a "highway travelin' " GM was just about the sweetest music you could hear (OK, I MIGHT be a BIT biased, here!)

My question is if I am correct in recalling Asbury Park as the shore terminal, and when this particular line was abandoned (did it survive into the TNJ years?)

Appreciate any info you might have.....thanks in advance....Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that much about old PS routes...especially out of Newark...but IIRC, to get from New York to Asbury Park in that era, the service was provided by 'Asbury Park-New York Transit', also IIRC known as 'Rollo Transit'....
Could it possibly have been that carrier? (though not sure if they stopped in Newark)....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I don't know that much about old PS routes...especially out of Newark...but IIRC, to get from New York to Asbury Park in that era, the service was provided by 'Asbury Park-New York Transit', also IIRC known as 'Rollo Transit'....
Could it possibly have been that carrier? (though not sure if they stopped in Newark)....

traildriver:

My folks and I boarded at JSQ; this eliminated any need to go into Manhattan or to go out to Newark; as we could no longer make a CNJ train connection at Jersey City, we took the NHBL #1 bus from our corner down to JSQ, and boarded PS there.

Funny you mentioned "ROLLO"; after the CNJ abandoned service on its Freehold branch in 1953, "ROLLO" buses operated a connection for commuters boarding NY&LB trains at Matawan.

This service lasted into the early 60's, AFAIK........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asbury Park-New York Transit (Rollo?), New York-Keansburg-Long Branch, and Garden State Coachways were all later absorbed by Academy, ASFIK...

PS did have competition on its express service from New York to Atlantic City and Wildwood, by Lincoln Transit, which I believe was related to Red and Tan, and Casser. As a matter of fact, Lincoln Transit pooled with Eastern Greyhound Lines with thru service from Montreal to Atlantic City each summer.

PS also had limited competition on its Philadelphia-Atlantic City route by my old company, Safeway Trails. We only operated two daily round trips to maintain our franchise inherited from the old Quaker City Bus Company.

We also operated Atlantic City-Baltimore-Washington service a few times a day...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note:

These trips operated out of the now-demolished PS terminal on Sip Avenue.

After the new JSQ Transportation Center opened in 1974, TNJ buses eschewed the old facility (which had also served trolleys) for the new bus lanes at the Center........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Certainly appreciate the additional info....thanks! Wink

Man, to go back in time....if only for a day.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You might find these of interest......

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4325

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4326

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4324

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always enjoy your links, NYO....thanks!

When I worked for Safeway, back in '68 thru '71....New York, Keansburg, Long Branch operated from gates 6 and 8 in the Port. Asbury Park-New York Transit, was relegated to the inconvenient gate 41 area...probably as a result of them coming to the Port later on when the choice gates were all taken...
I'm thinking they may have come in '63 when EGL moved in from their own two terminals....

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good history of the operations at the Port, unless the PA itself has some hidden 'archives' somewhere...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I truly believe that a book detailing the colorful history and operations of the "Port-of-Authority" is long, long overdue.

I can only imagine the many, many vintage bus/terminal photos that must surely be lurking in their forgotten "archives"!

On the old Dave Mackey PSNJ site (it was a sad day for PS fans when that wonderful and highly informative site bit the dust several years back) I remember there being several "Jersey Shore" photos that I wish could be posted here for this discussion (sure wish that someone could have revived this site!)

I well recall PSNJ posters at the PABT and Journal Square harking the cheap fares and fast service provided to the Jersey shore, back in the 60's.

Back in the days when Atlantic City was still pretty much a "convention town", as well as a popular resort, PS certainly did a brisk enough business, especially during the 50's and 60's.

The last time my folks and I took a PS bus from JSQ down to shore to visit my uncle and cousins would have been the summer of 1970, a lifetime ago.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that if there were a comprehensive history of the PABT, I would snap it up, as would many other's....unfortunately, such an undertaking, if done well, would probably be rather expensive, and I doubt that it would ever be commercially viable....the author(s), would have to produce it as a 'work of love', and probably lose money on the project. The potential market for it would be too limited...

Of course the PA has deep enough pockets to sponsor it, but doubt that they have any interest in doing it.... Sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I had hoped, at one time, that someone (perhaps even the PA) would have published a book with a title something like "THE PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL: THE FIRST 50 YEARS", back in 2000.

One can only imagine the historic (and tantalizing!) photos that would grace its pages!

When the "Port of Authority" (how locals in my area referred to the terminal when I was growing up) first opened in 1950, buses of many now-defunct makes rumbled in and out of the new facility, clad in virtually every color of the rainbow.

GMC's, YELLOWS, WHITES, ACF's/ACF-BRILLS, TWIN COACHES.....transits....suburbans....long-hauls........man, oh, man, what a show that had to have been!

Personally, I would love to get my hands on a listing showing all of the companies that served the terminal when it opened....I am sure, that, besides the many familiar company names we all knew in our younger days, there would also be quite a few that either we had long forgotten, or never knew existed!

Getting back to the PS buses serving the shore; as I had stated earlier on, my folks and I boarded at JSQ, from 1967 through 1970; there must have also been Shore routes out of the PS terminal in Newark as well, back in the day.

How many buses....bus companies.....and bus routes....so many of us once took for granted.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across this photo taken at Asbury Park back in 1977......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2343

*In this photo, we see first-generation Fishbowl P808 at the old TNJ depot; I am guessing this run might have originated at the PABT.

I am trying to delve further into near 50-year old memories to see if I can recall riding a PS Fishbowl out of JSQ down to the shore; my memory is recalling only 4104's and 4106's at the moment......

"NYO"
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos are still available from the Dave Mackey forum. I used the Wayback Machine site and found that a couple posts from that forum had be archived. Not much, but here is one that I copied.

This is Number z608, PD4903, serial #683. 1968

z608.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.71 KB
 Viewed:  26319 Time(s)

z608.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy:

Man, does that picture bring back great memories!

Sadly, I never got to ride a "Buffalo" during the PS/TNJ years, but in the early NJT era, I rode them on what had been the old ORANGE & BLACK's "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS" to and from the PABT; I cannot be sure, but these might have been ex-PS/TNJ buses.

My FIRST ride on a "Buffalo", however, was back in 1973, when my folks and I took a "PARKER TOURS" trip up to Canada.......I still call Buffalos "Baby Scenicruisers"!

Speaking of PS serving the Shore, I have a circa-1960 postcard showing a 4104 superimposed against the Atlantic City skyline.

Tickets could be purchased at windows 26-28, and information could be had by dialing LOngacre 5-7040.

Talked about dated....(!!)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this wonderfully nostalgic 1972 scene, we see a PS/TNJ "Buffalo" #603A (signed for CAPE MAY) just outside the PABT.

Note the lot full of RED & TAN Fishbowls on the right, and that hulking GREYHOUND (MC-6?) trailing the "Buffalo".

Man, to be able to go back in time, if only for a day or two.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1497

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: