BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The MTA RTS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: The MTA RTS Reply with quote

Fellows:

Like many of us, I took the RTS for granted.

Today, in 2016, they are indeed in their twilight.

Just a few questions for those NYC fans "in the know".....

1: When were the last of the original RTS's retired (were they all scrapped, or were any sold off to other operators?)

2: What is the age of the current RTS fleet?

3: How long will the current RTS fleet remain in service before retirement? (hope at least one will be saved!)

Thanks in advance.....

"NYO"
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Don't know when they were retired, but I think some made their way to some tiny outfits in Brooklyn and New Jersey. There is this place in Brooklyn near the (L) last stop, at Glenwood Road in between East 100th and East 101st Streets that used to run former RTS buses. Now they just fix and repair buses (Golden Touch Transportation has used their services in the past and last time I went I saw two blue MCI units).

2. The current bus ranges along with the units at each depot:

Total RTS:
(25) ECH - Eastchester
(27) ENY - East New York
(71) FA - Flatbush
(37) GA- Grand Avenue
(70) JAM - Jamaica
(10) JFK - JFK
(31) LGA - LaGuardia
(72) MJQ - Michael J. Quill
(5) QV - Queens Village
(72) UP - Ulmer Park
(33) WF - West Farms

1996 (8750-9349) -- 28 LGA, 10 JFK
1997 (9350-9524) -- 3 QV, 3 LGA, 15 MJQ, 18 GA, 2 WF
1998 (9525-9699) -- 2 QV, 3 MJQ, 2 UP, 19 GA, 1 ENY, 4 WF
1998 (4900-5080) -- 44 JAM, 4 MJQ, 27 UP, 53 FA, 26 ENY, 21 WF
1999 (5081-5249) -- 26 JAM, 50 MJQ, 43 UP, 18 FA, 6 WF, 25 ECH

3. The 8750-9699 are facing retirement within this year. The 4900-5249 will remain strong until at least 2018/19.

The oldest RTS right now is 8793 from LaGuardia and 9699 is currently at Grand Avenue.

West Farms, a CNG depot, is currently running RTS because of roughly 100 C40LF CNG units and 77 Orion VII CNG units out of service at maintainence. It is the reason why Spring Creek currently has about 6 Orion VII Gen-II units and why WF is also borrowing Orion VII NG units.

Eastchester is set to take in Orion VII NG units from LGA, JFK and maybe even some NYCT depots, with LGA taking in the current ECH units (5175-5199).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!!!!

It's pretty obvious that you know these now-classic buses well!

Thinking back to my nearly 25 years of working in lower Manhattan, I cannot believe how I took these buses for granted; like the Fishbowls and Old Looks before them, it seemed as though that they'd keep on rolling on forever.

Though I never got to ride on an MTA RTS, I had my first RTS ride on an MBTA coach in Boston, back in 1997; NJT was also getting them about that time.

I used to commute on the ex-DART coaches that ACADEMY had purchased, and was using on the rush-hour "BOULEVARD EAST" line to the Hoboken PATH station.

I also remember ACADEMY also rostering at least one ex-MTA RTS; I recall riding this on the #22 HILLSIDE, back in the 1990's.

How I knew it was an ex-MTA coach was the MTA sticker still affixed to one of the seats, advising riders to give these seats to the elderly or handicapped.

Man, does time fly.....thanks again taking the time to post a VERY detailed reply! Wink

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company that Goji is referring to was (and still maybe) known as Jet-Away transportation. They provided service to the NYRA to shuttle patrons from the grandstand at Belmont Racetrack to the outlying parking lots on the property. I remember an ex-MTA bus numbered 1248 as one of the workhorses. They probably had one or two more.

I once went to Belmont and got a picture of their RTS-03 (slope-back). Originally ex PANYNJ #52, it was repainted into a brown/red body and white roof as #5200. There were some ex-NJ Grumman Flx Metro's but they looked in horrible shape.
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one. I wish I had been in the bus scene a decade ago to capture those.

In regards to the earlier post, user East New York of the NYCTForums just made this post:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/20691-mta-bus-regional-moves-transfers/page-2032#entry886797

Quote:
Just a heads up, as the fleet review is over, we know there are going to be lots of moves, but a few of these will be temporary. Those buses aren't at CS for summer storage. They are being prepped for the Roadeo

Next week, we will start to see buses going back to their respective places. Others will stay. 4020 is at EC in preparation for the pending swap with LG. This could happen as earliest as next week. Thanks to TJ Trainman for keeping up with the moves on the pending LG/EC swaps. Edit: and Turtle who seems to have been posting at the same time as me about 4020. lol

Major QV/CS hybrid swap will continue.

On the heals of the Future Fleet Moves post, it appears as if the moves (which are subject to change) will be as follows.

4020-4039 LG to EC
8 to 10 buses in the 4140-4169 range from JK to EC shortly after.
5175-5199 EC to LG
15-16 RTS from TA to LG and JK

Remaining buses in the 8854-9349 series, as well as 6025, 6081, and 6333 to be retired immediately

That will be the end of the 1996 RTS and the three remaining 1999 Orion V.

6000 is apparently being preserved, and 8797 is now a MetroCard bus.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
The company that Goji is referring to was (and still maybe) known as Jet-Away transportation. They provided service to the NYRA to shuttle patrons from the grandstand at Belmont Racetrack to the outlying parking lots on the property. I remember an ex-MTA bus numbered 1248 as one of the workhorses. They probably had one or two more.

I once went to Belmont and got a picture of their RTS-03 (slope-back). Originally ex PANYNJ #52, it was repainted into a brown/red body and white roof as #5200. There were some ex-NJ Grumman Flx Metro's but they looked in horrible shape.

Hart Bus:

Great info......thanks for sharing!

The only "slope back" RTS I rode was down in Orlando, back in 1987; it was on one of the shuttles that served the Magic Kingdom area.

Sad to hear that those ex-NJT Metros are in such bad shape: i commuted on them for many years, and were the backbone of the #159, along with the now-retired VOLVO artics.

HOT WHEELS came out with a neat little "slope back" RTS back in the 80's, painted as a school bus.

I bought mine at a McCrory's in Jersey City for $1.99, back in 1987!

I wonder if any examples of "slope backs" are preserved anywhere......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean something like this? Wink
http://www.busmuseum.org/Bus_Museum/1977_GM_TH-8201.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
You mean something like this? Wink
http://www.busmuseum.org/Bus_Museum/1977_GM_TH-8201.html

GIVE THE GENTLEMAN A CIGAR! Very Happy

Thanks....nice to know at least one of the old "slant backs" was lucky enough to have escaped the torch!Smile

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO....you really should try to get over to Hershey, one of these days...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO....you really should try to get over to Hershey, one of these days...

traildriver:

As Mom can't be left alone (she just turned 99 on Tuesday!) even "local" trips are out of the question at this time.

No matter....with about 300 vintage toy and model buses in my collection as I type these words, I really don't have to travel far to visit a really diverse and eclectic little bus museum, of which I am the proud curator....... Wink

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:

Hart Bus:

Great info......thanks for sharing!

I have a large collection (100+) of model buses. Not only do I have the slope-back school bus, but a plaster version in a slightly larger size in SF colors. That is a Dave Roberts creation and has a small circle impression in the back window to access the a/c unit.

I believe that a toy company called "Micro Machines" has a slope-back. As the name implies it was really small and shouldn't be given to young children to play with.

The only "slope back" RTS I rode was down in Orlando, back in 1987; it was on one of the shuttles that served the Magic Kingdom area.

Sad to hear that those ex-NJT Metros are in such bad shape: i commuted on them for many years, and were the backbone of the #159, along with the now-retired VOLVO artics.

HOT WHEELS came out with a neat little "slope back" RTS back in the 80's, painted as a school bus.

I bought mine at a McCrory's in Jersey City for $1.99, back in 1987!

I wonder if any examples of "slope backs" are preserved anywhere......

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to the MOBT for preserving this very special bus. It was the FIRST EVER Slope-back off the assembly line. They also have ex-SMMBL fishbowl #5180, the last fishbowl ever manufactured.

At last year's Spring Fling they had both buses side by side. Got a few pictures of them.

The museum's Spring Fling is worth the trip. They also share a building that houses the Antique Automobile Club of America. The AACA has 3 Tuckers on permanent display as well as rotating exhibits of other vehicles. Take the family and leave them at the gate to Hershey Park. Go about 5 minutes up the road. You won't miss them Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Kudos to the MOBT for preserving this very special bus. It was the FIRST EVER Slope-back off the assembly line. They also have ex-SMMBL fishbowl #5180, the last fishbowl ever manufactured.

At last year's Spring Fling they had both buses side by side. Got a few pictures of them.

The museum's Spring Fling is worth the trip. They also share a building that houses the Antique Automobile Club of America. The AACA has 3 Tuckers on permanent display as well as rotating exhibits of other vehicles. Take the family and leave them at the gate to Hershey Park. Go about 5 minutes up the road. You won't miss them Very Happy

Hart Bus:

It is good to know that this unique and classic bus, which, quite easily, could have been transformed into razor blades and soda cans, is still with us today. a sleek and historic vehicle preserved for future generations!

Speaking of the "slope backs" and their inadequate a/c's, I always wondered if, instead of installing the new a/c's in place of the sloped rear, why couldn't a traditional rear roof mounted unit have been installed, such as was common on GM's and Flex New Looks?

I am assuming that it was not practical, for whatever reasons.....

"NYO"
frankie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Speaking of the "slope backs" and their inadequate a/c's, I always wondered if, instead of installing the new a/c's in place of the sloped rear, why couldn't a traditional rear roof mounted unit have been installed, such as was common on GM's and Flex New Looks?

I am assuming that it was not practical, for whatever reasons.....

"NYO"

I would think that it would have been too intrusive to the passenger interior since the top of the slope is a good 5 feet from the rear of the bus.

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie:

A simple but VERY valid explanation....thank you! Wink

I had the feeling it was something of that nature, but could not be 100% sure.

I remember that the ex-DART RTS's that ACADEMY purchased back in the 90's had VERY quirky a/c.....when they decided to work, they worked pretty decently......BUT.....when they crapped out (which was pretty much most of the time!).........it was NOT conducive to a comfortable commute home with virtually no ventilation on a humid, sticky 95 degree day................ Confused Mad

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: