BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silverside location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erin55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Silverside location Reply with quote

I spotted an old silverside on route 421 at Wanita Ky this week, I had seen it earlier, its been there for a few years. I want to stop soon and get a serial number or something so I can find history. Wanita is very close to McKee Ky and the bus sits on the south side of the road. Has anyone else seen this bus before?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Welcome Aboard! Reply with quote

Welcome to Bus Talk forum!

I have no idea about that bus, but that model is a favorite of mine...
If you do find out any more about it, please be sure to let us all know...
Thanks! Smile
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the bus in question? If so, let's put our thinking caps on and figure out what it is! Where's Mr. L when we need him?

Frankie

To open the full image, you must copy and paste the whole address, not just the highlighted part (shows aerial view only)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4722612,-84.039385,3a,75y,260.75h,81.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1st_TaA3DbfH4xk2xEAGlaYw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
JimmiB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is definitely not a Silverside. I'll see if I can figure out what it is.
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB: If you navigate a bit down the road a bit and make a 180, you can see the back of the bus between the building and the RV. Looks like a Yellow Coach to me.

Frankie
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably right Frankie. That was my first thought. Can't see enough of it to be sure.
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to have doubts that this is a Yellow Coach. Two clues off hand: The headlights are too low. YC headlight are set higher and closed to the windshield. The vent flaps below the windshield are vertical. YC and GM are horizontal. The only exception that I'm aware of is the larger model 731. This looks like a 28 or 30 footer just by the number of windows ahead of the emergency door.

I've looked though quite a few reference books of different manufacturers and am still scratching my head.

Frankie
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it's not a "Silversides", but I have no idea what it is, or even its age...could be some obscure builder like Southern Coach, or CD Beck, perhaps....it does not appear to me to be a Yellow/GM, definitely not an ACF, or Flxible. Maybe a Crown, but not likely...
If the OP can, perhaps he can ask its owner, or get permission to see the builder's plate, and let us know....
Runcutter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be my first mistake of the day, but my vote is a Southern.

Arthur
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a Southern. All Southerns had engines that were mounted amidship and with large rectangular grills just above the front bumper. Southerns also had "eyebrows" above the front door and driver's side window.

The first Southern came off the assembly line in 1942 and I believe that the bus in question precedes that year - probably late '30's.

It doesn't appear to be a Fitzjohn or a Beaver either.

Frankie
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Frankie. I've been looking at many pictures looking for anything with that headlight and vent combination. It may be some oddball like Beaver Bus. Actually I believe that Beaver had low headlights like that but they made so few that it's hard to find any photos.

OK Frankie, It seems that you posted while I was typing. Maybe it's not a Beaver.
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well JimmiB, I think we may have this solved.

I'm willing to bet that this is a 1948+ ACF-Brill C31. Pretty much most details match between the attachment photo and the bus in question. Same bumpers, front and side windows, headlight placement. The only exception are the vertical vents, but this may have been a buyer's option. The photos I've seen of the C31 have two small vertical vent just below the windshield.

I was able to move down the road a bit with the Google street view to capture the full bus from the front and magnifying it gave me a better prospective. The rear windows seems to be a close match albeit you're only able to view the center post part of it. And another characteristic of the Brills were the horizonatal rear bumpers that flared out. However this photo doesn't seem to show it.

Frankie

ACF Brill C31.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.45 KB
 Viewed:  27278 Time(s)

ACF Brill C31.JPG

ACF Brill C31.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.68 KB
 Viewed:  27320 Time(s)

ACF Brill C31.jpg

traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! I was only thinking of the ACF's I am most familiar with....the 37P, and the IC-41, with the forward front axle design...I forgot that they made these other types as well....
JimmiB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Frankie!!! I'm sure you are right. Now I can sleep better tonight.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99.9% sure it's an ACF-Brill C-31
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: