BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last NYCTA Old Looks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Last NYCTA Old Looks Reply with quote

All:

A few quick inquiries:

In what year did the last Old Looks operate? (also, what years did they date from?)

What routes last used them? (and what depots were they based out of?)

I know that several were sold to Jersey City's LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE; were any other ex-NYCTA Old Looks sold off to other properties, or were all scrapped?

Did any carry new MTA heralds, or did they all make thier final runs still wearing thier old NYCTA insignias/lettering?

Thank you in advance....I appreciate any info and input....

"NYO"
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last NYCTA Old Looks to operate were the GM TDH5106's which were retired in 1973 with the arrival of the GM T6H5309A's in the 62/6300 series. The 1957 models in the 7000-7208 series and the 1958 models in the 9000-9120 series were those to be last in service.
My personal observation, the last Old Look in service was on the B53 out of Fresh Pond, If I remember correctly, was during April of 1973. 7030 headed into the sunset at the end of a Friday rush hour. The next day on Saturday, a brand new GM New Look, 6336, was put into service. I never had seen any NYCTA Old Look in service after that.
Flatbush, Fresh Pond, Ulmer Park, 126 St. and Castleton were some of the last depots to operate Old Looks.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
The last NYCTA Old Looks to operate were the GM TDH5106's which were retired in 1973 with the arrival of the GM T6H5309A's in the 62/6300 series. The 1957 models in the 7000-7208 series and the 1958 models in the 9000-9120 series were those to be last in service.
My personal observation, the last Old Look in service was on the B53 out of Fresh Pond, If I remember correctly, was during April of 1973. 7030 headed into the sunset at the end of a Friday rush hour. The next day on Saturday, a brand new GM New Look, 6336, was put into service. I never had seen any NYCTA Old Look in service after that.
Flatbush, Fresh Pond, Ulmer Park, 126 St. and Castleton were some of the last depots to operate Old Looks.

B53RICH:

Thanks......greatly appreciate this info!

Old Looks (both transits and suburbans) were commonplace in my area of northern NJ until well into the 70's; I remember those rostered by TNJ were being retired as the new DOT Flex New Looks began arriving.

The former ORANGE & BLACK's Old Looks were history by about 1977.

I can recall some Old Look transits still in use on the Jersey City-area "indies" into the 1980's (I remember most of these these being replaced by the METROS/GRUMMANS)

The very last I remember (maybe just two or three buses by that time) were NHBL coaches running on the #1, between Journal Square and Nungessers, in 1986, if I recall correctly.

I also remember of few Old Looks running on Washington St. in Hoboken about this time; one of the last was #30x (an ex-PS TDH, still in the 1960's-era PS two-tone green)

I think its owner was the MARIA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY.

I also see that I was correct in guessing that the last NYCTA Old Looks were gone prior to 1975......

"NYO"
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:

If I recalled, the 9000 series spent their last days on Staten Island. Do you know if all the 9000 series wound up in Staten Island and did any of the 7000 series also go to Staten Island?

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Here are a few early 70's photos that might be of interest.....

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1626

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1790

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1633

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1815

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1821

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An acquaintance in Miami informed me that former NYCTA TDH-5101s were sold to Cuba.

His reasoning for this was that as a result of the TA trying to make room for the newly arrived fishbowls in the early 1960s. I counter with the fact that the Embargo did not allow this sale.

He insists that several operated in Cuba and he remembers them because of the unusual configuration of the 5101s.

Can anyone verify this for me??

Thanks
John Roth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat your heart out fellow bus nuts.

Here in Baltimore we had about 50 1957-1959 5105s kicking around until 1980. I still miss em.

John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
An acquaintance in Miami informed me that former NYCTA TDH-5101s were sold to Cuba.

His reasoning for this was that as a result of the TA trying to make room for the newly arrived fishbowls in the early 1960s. I counter with the fact that the Embargo did not allow this sale.

He insists that several operated in Cuba and he remembers them because of the unusual configuration of the 5101s.

Can anyone verify this for me??

Thanks

VERY interesting news, indeed....was not aware of this at all....thanks for sharing here with us! Wink (sure would love to see some pics of these buses!) Very Happy

This is especially interesting news now, with US-Cuba relations beginning to move forward after several decades......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Roth wrote:
Eat your heart out fellow bus nuts.

Here in Baltimore we had about 50 1957-1959 5105s kicking around until 1980. I still miss em.

John

John:

The very last Old Looks in my area (as I'd mentioned earlier here) was back in 1986; by that late date, less than a handful were still in service.

Man, I cannot believe it is now almost 30 years since I've ridden on an Old look.....I'll NEVER get used to my old diesel-driven friends being gone......

"NYO"
JimmiB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just happy that the last old look that I drove has been preserved!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
I'm just happy that the last old look that I drove has been preserved!

Jimmy:

Now that IS good news!! Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would include the 'shorty' TDH-3502 and 3502A's, the last I recall were the ones operated by the Public Service Company of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado....these buses were the 'Old Look' style built, in 1969. I am not sure when RTD replaced them but could have been in late '70's....

In the NY region, I believe the only original purchaser's were Broome County (Binghamton)....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
If you would include the 'shorty' TDH-3502 and 3502A's, the last I recall were the ones operated by the Public Service Company of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado....these buses were the 'Old Look' style built, in 1969. I am not sure when RTD replaced them but could have been in late '70's....

In the NY region, I believe the only original purchaser's were Broome County (Binghamton)....

traildriver:

Those nifty little "New Old Looks" truly personified the old saying: "Everything old is new again"!

With the exception of the modern quad headlights, for all practical purposes, waiting riders of that era would think that they were seeing a circa-1946 model approaching their stop!

Certainly, they must have brought back memories of what GM transit coaches looked like, before the new paired window coaches made thier debut in the late 40's.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

traildriver/all:

A little closer to home......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1523

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?597

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?600

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, thanks for posting those links.
If you look at this source
http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=General_Motors_TDH-3502

those buses at Chappaqua must have been purchased used...not sure of where...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: