BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTAB Roadeo Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: MTAB Roadeo Report Reply with quote

I had attended the MTAB Roadeo today at Belmont Park Racetrack.
This year's event was held in the large parking lot south of Hempstead Tpke. & just east of Cross Island Pkwy. Last year's MTAB Roadeo was held inside the Park, just behind the track, but there was horse racing today and the north side was filled with cars from racing fans.
There were 7 museum buses and 2 contemporary MTAB buses on display:
CBC 4904 (MTAB 682): 1994 TMC RTS-06 CNG
TCC 621: 1979 GMD T8H-5307A
NYBS 1502 (MTAB 7307): 1981 GMD T8H-5308A
LL 3006 (MTAB 7825): 1988 MCI TC-40102A Classic
QSC 275 (GBL 1149, MTAB 5904): 1994 TMC RTS-06
JBL 3865 (ex-QSC 293; later MTAB 5999): 1994 TMC RTS-06
GBL 10001 (ex-GBL 221; MTAB 4220): 1985 GMC RTS T80204
MTAB 3638: 2007 Orion VII HEV (w/LGA logos)
MTAB 3452: 2006-2007 MCI D4500 (w/ ECH logos)
All buses were polished beautifully, and the operator's seat was fully accessible for anyone who wanted to slip behind the wheel.
One of the new features this year was full-color data sheets (a separate sheet for each museum bus) available in a pile on the front dashboard for anyone who wanted one. Additionally, most museum buses had their own binder with before and after photos, in a manner similar to that seen at antique car & truck shows.

Unlike last year's event (which used RTS's and Orion V diesels for roadeo participants) there were several RTS's and HEV's used as roadeo buses.
(In contrast, the NYCT Roadeos in '05-'07 used only RTS's).

There also was an antique car display next to the museum buses (with about a dozen antique or collectible cars, including a tiny 1952 Morris in mint condition).

All in all, an excellent event; thanks to the MTAB folks for putting on a good show!!!
TCC Senior Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that you enjoyed the MTA Bus Roadeo today at Belmont. I did as well. The antique cars that you saw belonged to MTA Bus employees. When we received the announcement for this Bus Roadeo, we were encouraged to bring and display any antique automobile or motorcycle to this event. We had a very nice turn out.

Just to add something about last years event, MCI Classics were also offered as an option to those drivers who were contestants in that Bus Roadeo. I don't remember if anyone opted to use one in the competition though.

I'd like to give a shout out to those responsible for making this Bus Roadeo a tremendous success. You know who you are. Everyone worked long and hard so that we can all have a good time. The weather also cooperated with beautiful skies and not so hot temperatures. Next on the agenda, the New York State Bus Roadeo on September 15th at Floyd Bennett Field. Best of luck to all of the winners, Hopefully I was one of them.

Last edited by TCC Senior Man on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
TransitGuy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sounds great. Sad I unfortunately missed it again. I hope I can see some photos from others. I hear they overhauled all of the museum buses. Thanks a lot for telling is.
MarkW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TCC Senior Man. It was nice meeting you. Rodeo was fun.
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course I was there having my piece of the pie...

Unfortunately I had to cut it short from 9am to 12:30pm since I had to meet my parents at Smith Haven Mall for dinner @ Carrabba's in Neconset.

At least I got to ride with Thomas and the crew on 1993 TMC RTS #8511, being the very 1st time I ride that bus under MTAB instead of Manhattanville.....and it still looks nice.

#8306 former Yukon Depot RTS looks very pristine....that paint was sparkling alright!

But whaddya know....me was chillin' @ 1982 GMDD Fishbowl #1502 in the back seat, and yeah....THE KIDS WERE AT IT AGAIN playing with the damn buses, so the crew had to bleed the brakes out, though I was trying to get some extra Z's since I only slept 2 hours...lol

Other than that, I hope to stick around next time....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TCC Senior Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkW wrote:
Hey TCC Senior Man. It was nice meeting you. Rodeo was fun.

Mark, a pleasure for me as well. Thank you.
Mr RT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find some photos on Larry's BusChat site.

I was up in ME riding a couple of Fishbowls & a Boston Trackless now at the Seashore museum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: