BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grumman 870's (afterlife)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first time I saw an 870, when they were new, thinking that they looked very boxy and tinny. I am still not a fan of them. RTS slopebacks and fishbowls do it for me.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
I remember the first time I saw an 870, when they were new, thinking that they looked very boxy and tinny. I am still not a fan of them. RTS slopebacks and fishbowls do it for me.

To, me, RTS's were quite exotic; the first I ever rode on one was in Boston, back in 1997.

Then I started seeing them on various NJT routes; and I also recall (all too well!) the second hand RTS coaches that ACADEMY bought from DART.......WORST a/c ever!!!!!

I do recall an ex-MTA RTS running on ACADEMY's #22 HILLSIDE around 1999/2000; I knew it was an ex-MTA unit as it had an MTA sticker on one set of seats, advising passengers to leave these seats open for elderly/handicapped passengers.

IMHO, a large number of bus fans (myself included) tended to avoid the GRUMMAN/METRO when new, as they were replacing our classic Fishbowls and few remaining Old Looks.

It took me many years to even "warm" to them, and that was pretty much during thier twilight years.

"Slopeback" RTS's never ran in my area, although, I did like the design, which was quite eye-catching at the time.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

I am just now remembering an incident many years ago, involving an NJT bus ( I suspect it had been an ex-MTA GRUMMAN, but cannot be at all sure)

I was riding home from work on a #181 out of Hoboken on a Friday evening; somewhere near 90th St. and Bergenline Avenue (North Bergen), we heard a loud "BANG!" and then a harsh scraping noise.

We then heard the cars behind us blowing thier horns, and our driver managed to swing into the curb, out of traffic.

What had happened was that one of the hinges of the engine hatch broke apart, and the hatch door was hanging by one hinge, scraping against the pavement.

I remember the passengers milling about looking at the damage to our bus, as we waited for the next one to complete our commute home.

I also recall the old PS wrecker from the Union City garage (then still being used by NJT) arriving to tow the disabled bus back to home base.

Cannot pinpoint an exact date, but I'm thinking about 1984 or thereabouts....

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but about 18 months ago, I was n/b on the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway in the Plainview area following an Academy Bus, when stuff started flying out. The bumper was acting like a boomerang and cars were swerving all over the place to avoid them. The bus kept going.

I was not effected by the objects, but I immediately called 911 to have them get help before there were blow-outs. I remember it being a Sunday. I called Academy and told them that they will see a lot of missing parts when the bus pulls into the garage.

I would have tried to get the bus to pull over but he was flying and I couldn't catch up to him.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus:

A SCARY situation, without a doubt; thankfully, no injuries because of it.

You would have thought the driver would have at least sensed something was wrong, and pulled off to the side.

At least the driver of the NJT bus I mentioned previously (I remember he was an old PSNJ vet then nearing retirement) had the sense to pull the bus out of traffic and onto the side.

No telling if the remaining hinge wasn't about to fail, either......that, truly, would have been a serious issue for the cars following us......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat May 02, 2015 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Hart Bus:

A SCARY situation, without a doubt; thankfully, no injuries because of it.

You would have thought the driver would have at least sensed something was wrong, and pulled off to the side.

At least the driver of the NJT bus I mentioned previously (I remember he was an old PSNJ vet then nearing retirement) had the sense to pull the bus out of traffic and onto the side.

No telling if the remaining hinge wasn't about to fail, either......that, ttruly, would have been a serious issue for the cars following us......

"NYO"

In my situation I hope that the Nassau County PD got a cleanup crew to the spot so that there wouldn't be any blown tires or other vehicle damage
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus:

Good thing that you had common sense enough to call ACADEMY; too bad you never found out the "nitty gritty" involving this incident, which, certainly, could have had serious consequences later on.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of this:

What older buses were due to be retired when the GRUMMANS entered service?

Were these the oldest of the Fishbowls, as well as "middle aged" Flex New Looks?

Thanks....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:

What depots were the stored buses located at, when they were recalled to active duty, when the GRUMMANS were pulled from service?

Appreciate any info....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: