BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grumman 870's (afterlife)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRUMMANS on the B47 and B56......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?276

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?277

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*The B47 photo is exceptionally interesting, as it shows three generations of NYC transit buses lined up, with the newest of them leading the line.....
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roster of ex-NYCTA/MaBSTOA 870s to New Jersey Transit

Roster of ex-NYCTA/MaBSTOA 870s to Cincinnati

#553-565, the 96" wide 870s originally intended for Avenue B & East Broadway, ended up at Pioneer Valley Transit Authority in Springfield, MA as their #1221-1233. 40 were reportedly sold to an agency in Puerto Rico, although I can't find any more details. At least two were scrapped, and #236 went back to NYCTA for their historic fleet.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42:

Appreciate you posting those links; I now have them filed for future reference.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE's #2175; note this bus has a traditional roller curtain, far easier to read than the electronic signs so typical of most GRUMMANS/METROS.

This photo would date to after 2001, as the tracks and overhead wires for the HBLR are seen......

http://ttmg.org/photos/contributors/growe/Lafayette_Grumman_2175.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GENERATION GAP" (the "JFK EXPRESS" ad on the Fishbowl dates this classic scene even further!)

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1692

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last of her breed, former MTA #236 is today a part of the TM's historic bus collection.

Time indeed flies FAR too fast for my tastes.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3109

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3058

Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the looks of the 870's (and, later in NJ, the Metros): big, boxy and strong looking. While DOB had lots of well-documented headaches with the Flx's, NJT seemed to do OK with them.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
I always liked the looks of the 870's (and, later in NJ, the Metros): big, boxy and strong looking. While DOB had lots of well-documented headaches with the Flx's, NJT seemed to do OK with them.

I totally agree; the GRUMMANS/METROS were big, tough-looking, no-nonsense buses that eventually proved reliable and dependable.

I rode NJT's and ACADEMY's as part of my commute into the city for many years, and, for the most part, I found them to be good-riding buses, pretty much reliable.

IMHO, the METROS operated by ACADEMY (which I rode on the #22 HILLSIDE and BOULEVARD EAST (rush hours only) were far superior to the second hand RTS's (especially the ex-DART coaches), at least as far as reliabilty and riding qualities went.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1990's view of ACADEMY Metro #3275, departing the Hoboken terminal.

I commuted on the 3200's for a number of years, and they were good riding coaches, especially with thier high-packed cushioned seats.

The "new and improved" electronic destination signs were always getting out of order, and were very difficult to read even when they were functioning correctly.

The old roller curtains that displayed "HOBOKEN PATH TUBES" (on the Boulevard East runs) could be easily read a good distance away; none of the ACADEMY drivers I knew were fond of the new signage.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3356

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadside view of MTA #647......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1358

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

A quick question.....

Being from NJ, I was (and always will be) always pretty much in the dark regarding NYC bus operations; I have always relied on the knowledge of others to enlighten me further.

Did the MTA go in for a lot of publicity when the GRUMMAN buses were about to make thier debut?

Or was it more of a subdued "OK, folks, here's the new buses we bought for you to ride, watch your step, business as usual" type of event?

Thanks.....

"NYO"
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Queens during the '60's and '70's, but I don't really remember any big publicity drives about the MTA's new Flx 870 pre-delivery.
But, man, did they get a ton of publicity post-delivery Shocked
The Hollywood folks used to say "there is no such thing as bad publicity" but the MTA big shots from the late '70's absolutely would disagree with that old saying.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
I grew up in Queens during the '60's and '70's, but I don't really remember any big publicity drives about the MTA's new Flx 870 pre-delivery.
But, man, did they get a ton of publicity post-delivery Shocked
The Hollywood folks used to say "there is no such thing as bad publicity" but the MTA big shots from the late '70's absolutely would disagree with that old saying.

I could NOT agree with you more on that one, my friend! Shocked

I well remember the flood of "publicity" that the media was churning out, when the GRUMMAN fleet was yanked; I also remember quite a bit of coverage on the television news.

I still remember one WNEW 5 report showing OOS Fishbowls and Flex New Looks (still in the old green paint) being brought out of storage for refurbishing; the WNEW reporter referred to these buses as "decade-and-a-half-old-clunkers".

The DAILY NEWS, especially, had not only a lot of coverage on the mass removal of the GRUMMANS from service, but also, the convoy of WAMATA Fishbowls and New Looks heading up to The Big Apple in a long convoy.

Can't believe it's now over 30 years ago....

"NYO"
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

A quick question.

Did the MTA go in for a lot of publicity when the GRUMMAN buses were about to make thier debut

"NYO"
I recall reading in the post or daily news when they showed off a Grumman 870. The comments were negative windows tinted to dark cant see out them. too cramped for the passengers etc. The writer suggested they take the bus out to Grumman and return it. Ed Koch was not a big fan either he was very nrgative at the conference also.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

A quick question.

Did the MTA go in for a lot of publicity when the GRUMMAN buses were about to make thier debut

"NYO"
I recall reading in the post or daily news when they showed off a Grumman 870. The comments were negative windows tinted to dark cant see out them. too cramped for the passengers etc. The writer suggested they take the bus out to Grumman and return it. Ed Koch was not a big fan either he was very nrgative at the conference also.

Appreciate your comments; thanks for hopping on board!

It would seem, then, for the most part, the media was not to be "oohing" and "aahhing" over the new GRUMMAN buses; from what I can remember, there only seemed to be (pardon the pun!) "token" positive media reports at the time.

I have also heard that the GRUMMAN had been referred to as "the wrong bus at the wrong time"; indeed, it did seem that it was not in the cards for these new buses to be the darlings of both the MTA and the riding public.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: