BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Hi-Ho To the ('64/'65) Fair!"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: "Hi-Ho To the ('64/'65) Fair!" Reply with quote

Fellows:

Here is an interesting (as well as nostalgic!) "promo" page for GREYHOUND's various serices for the 1964/1965 World's Fair at Flushing Meadow.

Both the "Rapid Transit" Fishbowl and the "Sightseeing Bus" were available as tin lithographed friction toys (I have both in my collection today!) Very Happy

Some years back, CORGI released a model of a "Rapid Transit" Fishbowl (had to snap that one up as soon as it was made available!) Wink

How quaint that colorful "Jetson-esque" fair now seems today!

For yours truly (then a transit-loving kid in grade school!), the GREYHOUND buses, AMF monorail, the new IRT "Bluebirds", and the huge international HO layout at the Pavilion of Better Living were indeed the highlights of the Fair.......dang it......where has a half-century gotten to......?? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

http://www.nywf64.com/greyhound07.shtml

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO: As a collector of model buses, would you mind snapping a photo or two of your tin World Fair buses? I (and I assume others here) would like to see them.

Thanks!

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
NYO: As a collector of model buses, would you mind snapping a photo or two of your tin World Fair buses? I (and I assume others here) would like to see them.

Thanks!

Frankie

Frankie:

IF I had a scanner (and a digital camera!), I would certainly do so....I would love nothing more to share photos of my extensive vintage toy bus collection with my friends here on the board.

I should be able to find some pics online; if I do, I would certainly post the links here! Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie/All:

Here is the tin World's Fair GREYHOUND Fishbowl; two were available, with one not having the green tinted pastic windshield, as seen here.

I have both versions in my collection today* (interesting to note that it sports the earlier Art Deco clearance lights)

http://www.toybusexpo.com/images/tin/greyhound-fishbowl-tin.jpg

*This basic toy bus was used in other Fishbowl variations, including an earlier GREYHOUND style, TRAILWAYS, and also as airport buses for several different major airlines (I also have these in my collection)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the tin litho WF GREYHOUND "Sightseeing Bus"; note the WF "sticker" at the rear.

I also have this one in my collection.....a really NICE looking bus, for certain! Very Happy

http://www.serioustoyz.com/ItemIMages/000001/PRgreyhoundbus5b_lg.jpeg
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Hi-Ho To the ('64/'65) Fair!" Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Fellows:

Here is an interesting (as well as nostalgic!) "promo" page for GREYHOUND's various serices for the 1964/1965 World's Fair at Flushing Meadow.

Both the "Rapid Transit" Fishbowl and the "Sightseeing Bus" were available as tin lithographed friction toys (I have both in my collection today!) Very Happy

Some years back, CORGI released a model of a "Rapid Transit" Fishbowl (had to snap that one up as soon as it was made available!) Wink

How quaint that colorful "Jetson-esque" fair now seems today!

For yours truly (then a transit-loving kid in grade school!), the GREYHOUND buses, AMF monorail, the new IRT "Bluebirds", and the huge international HO layout at the Pavilion of Better Living were indeed the highlights of the Fair.......dang it......where has a half-century gotten to......?? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

http://www.nywf64.com/greyhound07.shtml

NYO...Thanks so much for that fabulous link, with the full coverage of proposed Greyhound at the World's Fair operations. It must have been produced a year or more prior to the 1964 opening, as it supplied mostly artist's rendering's of what was to come.
One change from the proposal, was the bus actually used in the $3.00 'Grand Tour'. The proposal promised a 'deluxe, restroom equipped' coach, and the rendering showed an MC-5 Challenger with glass roof panels, but what was used was an SDH-5302 with glass roof panels. No restroom, of course.

I live almost in the shadow of that fair, which occurred during my Junior and Senior years of high school, and I could walk to it in about 20 minutes....so this was a wonderously nostalgic remembrance of those great years..... Smile Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You are most welcome!

Now that "the future" is here, and our feet are now firmly set in the 21st century, I have to admit I was far more enamored with the future when it was STILL in the future!

Certainly, the '64 Fair evoked a strong "Jetson's" aura to those of us who never missed an episode back then! Very Happy

In later years, any time I saw (or rode) on a Fishbowl with glass panels in the roof, I alway's referred to them as "Worl's Fair buses", even if they had never been used in Fair service!

The Fair era was still one in which most folks dressed for the visit......my older brother (then engaged to my future sister-in-law) and I both wore blazers and ties, both looking sharp. Mom wore a smart dress and high heels........appearances still MATTERED, way back then!

I know a few of the old IRT "Bluebirds" still survive, but I wonder if even one of the GREYHOUND "Fair Buses" has been saved....certainly, one or two would be worthy of preservation today......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly "Jetson-esque" in appearance was GREYHOUND's "Glide-A-Ride"; like the buses used at the Fair, these cool "tour trams" were also available as toys.

I had one, but, sadly, have no idea what ever happened to it. Sad

Here is one of the toy "GLIDE-A-RIDE" replicas, with its original box....a pricey collector's item today, when one can be found.....

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/transportation/images/Bus%20Page/283-349.jpg

(courtesy: gasolinealeeyantiques)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, the bittersweet chords of nostalgia.......

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/VIEWLINER/0901/BUS3.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During thier early years, Fishbowls were indeed futuristic buses, which more than fit in with the "Space Age Jetson-esque" image of the '64 Fair.

I can STILL smell that cool, sweet "new bus smell" of these sleek buses, over 50 years later......

http://www2.antiquesnavigator.com/ebay/images/2011/380377384761.jpg

(courtesy: antiquesnavigator)
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO: Those are two buses I don't have in my collection. The sightseeing bus were souvenirs made by Alps of Japan exclusively for the World's Fair and a great model of the MC-5. Looking at other photos on Google images, this bus does have World Fair for it's front destination sign. I do have the two Corgi World's Fair versions of the fishbowl.

Living on Long Island back in '64-'65, I had the opportunity of visiting the World's Fair almost every weekend. My only regret was not picking up those bus souvenirs at that time. Nor did I ride the buses within the fairgrounds. My two feet got me around!

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
NYO: Those are two buses I don't have in my collection. The sightseeing bus were souvenirs made by Alps of Japan exclusively for the World's Fair and a great model of the MC-5. Looking at other photos on Google images, this bus does have World Fair for it's front destination sign. I do have the two Corgi World's Fair versions of the fishbowl.

Living on Long Island back in '64-'65, I had the opportunity of visiting the World's Fair almost every weekend. My only regret was not picking up those bus souvenirs at that time. Nor did I ride the buses within the fairgrounds. My two feet got me around!

Frankie

Frankie:

Who would have thought, 50-odd years ago, that those inexpensive toy buses would one day become valuable collector's items?

I only wish you got to ride on a WF Fishbowl.....as I mentioned earier, I can STILL taste that cool, sweet, air-conditioned "new bus smell"; at that time, the buses in my NJ neighborhood were all Old Looks, MACKS, WHITES, etc. (I'm NOT complaining, mind you!) so the WF Fishbowls were indeed exciting novelties for me.

I don't think that any of us then ever thought that the day would come where Fishbowls of ANY type would be regarded as "historic vehicles"......man, where has a half-century gotten to.....??

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visited the fair quite often thanks to my dad working for a publicity firm that did a lot work for the Fair. However, never rode the Greyhound buses at the Fair. I had the pleasure of riding them when Triboro Coach bought the TDH 5303s from the Fair. They were different than the rest of their fleet and thus became my favorite Triboro buses.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"MEET YOU AT THE FAIR!" (Yonkers, 1964)......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2951

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful view from the roof of the Kodak Pavilion.........

http://randytreadway.com/06a_Greyhound_buses_from_Kodak_Pavilion_roof.jpg

(courtesy: randytreadway.com)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: