BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Huntington, Long Island: 15 new buses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Huntington, Long Island: 15 new buses Reply with quote

Newsday of 3.20.2015 reports that Huntington Area Rapid Transit will soon put in service fifteen new buses, 80% financed by federal mass transit aid. Seven will be 20-passenger Spirit of Mobility buses built by ARBOC Specialty Vehicles, at $175,000 each. They will operate on the four fixed routes, together with three hybrids that will stay in service. Bye-bye Phantoms.
---
Eight paratransit buses are being bought from Shepard Brothers, Canandaigua, for $53,368.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus terminal near Panera Bread at Walt Whitman Shops takes the cake.
---
However, let me show the place where I started, the Huntington LIRR station.

Train after train arrived yesterday afternoon from New York City, sending hundreds of passengers scurrying to the multi-level garages and taxis. I alone waited for any HART bus to show up.

At the bus loop there is no sign of destinations, routes, or schedules.

A few blocks east, I found two of the new Spirit of Mobility buses at the HART garage.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past year or two, an outdoor bus terminal was created at the south end of Walt Whitman Shops, an enclosed high-end and apparently successful mall that dates from the mid-1960's. This terminal is south of Bloomingdale's and Panera Bread in line with Norwich Street as it meets NY 110, Walt Whitman Road. Buses can also also reach the terminal from New York Avenue, on the east side of the shopping center.
---
The terminal has seven bus shelters, and it is served by Suffolk Transit, HART, and NICE. From what I observed 3.30.2015, Suffolk Transit handles the most passengers. The hamlet is South Huntington, part of the Town of Huntington, which owns HART.

Gillig 810 arrives, signed for Huntington Station LIRR.

Gillig 809 arrives, signed for Northport Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

Gillig 805 leaves for Halesite, about five miles north of Walt Whitman Shops. Two or three minutes later, a Suffolk Transit S1 will also leave for Halesite, but on a more direct route up NY 110.
---
I must point out that Nathan Hale was ferried to Long Island in September, 1776, as a spy. His landing spot is known as Halesite, the northern destination of the Cross-Island trolley, now the S1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: