BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TANK's Retiring (and Retired) Gilligs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvestman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: TANK's Retiring (and Retired) Gilligs Reply with quote

This is my pet project of sorts. TANK (Northern Kentucky) has been phasing out its 2000 Gillig Advantages in recent times. Thought I'd post the whereabouts of each, to the best of my knowledge.

Whoever contributed the fleet information to Wikipedia (probably Darius Pinkston) states that 2116 through 2127 are retired.

MidWest Bus has a few pictures of ex-TANK buses on their site that I couldn't discern the numbers on, and some with no picture at all. I am assuming that these fill the gaps in numbers 2116 through 2127. Notably, some ex-TANK buses have vanished from the site in the past year or two - hopefully they have been sold to another operator and not scrapped.

- Still in the dead line at TANK shops as of 3/17/15. TANK branding and name have been removed.
- This was the first low-floor bus in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. An insider has told me that it is not going anywhere and may be preserved by the Cincinnati Transit Historical Society. We shall see...

Before and after name removal...

- Unknown

- Unknown

- Unknown

- In dead line at TANK shops. All TANK branding removed as of 3/17/15. Retired, heading to MidWest Bus.

- Unknown

- Still active as of 3/17/15

- Still active as of 3/19/15

- Was parked at the side of the TANK shops during winter 2014/15 with engine cover open. Now parked in the park-n-ride lot adjacent to the shops. Retired and heading to MidWest Bus.

- Still active

- Still active

- Still active

- Still active as of 1/28/15

- Still active as of 3/7/15

- In Ft. Wright dead line. Retired as of 3/7/15, TANK branding removed as of 3/17/15. Heading to MidWest Bus.

- Retired, at MidWest Bus in Michigan

- Unknown

- Unknown

- Unknown

- Unknown

- In dead line at TANK shops. Retired and most branding removed as of 3/17/15. Headed to Michigan (MidWest Bus)

- Unknown

- Unknown

- Unknown

- Still active

Last edited by Harvestman on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, first welcome to the forum.
I am curious as to when those buses were purchased. When most service was provided by private operators, buses were kept running for up to 20 years or so. Now that most are government operations the fleet seems to get replaced every couple of years.
Harvestman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
Peter, first welcome to the forum.

Thank you!

JimmiB wrote:
I am curious as to when those buses were purchased. When most service was provided by private operators, buses were kept running for up to 20 years or so. Now that most are government operations the fleet seems to get replaced every couple of years.

These buses were brand-new to TANK in their respective model years. With many newer Advantages coming into the fleet, TANK is basically running these older ones until they die.

They appear to be in excellent shape apart from normal aging issues. I can only find record of a few accidents involving TANK buses in the past few years, so they haven't been cut up for the most part. Now I don't know how MidWest Bus is pricing these Advantages, but I bet they'd do well working for some other transit agency. (Hey, if there are places still running 1995 Phantoms...)

It's a shame that I seem to have missed the days of diversity in the TANK fleet. In late 2007, they had five '99 Orions, three '93 Flxibles, and plenty of '95 Phantoms and '98 Advantages (some of the latter are also at MWB). Must have been fun to keep track of, much less maintain.

(I've made a few edits - the picture I posted for 2117 was actually some ex-TANK Phantom, and 2108 is still in service as of today.)
timecruncher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TANK used buses are in demand. They are well-maintained and kept very clean while in service, and command top dollar when auctioned.

timecruncher
Harvestman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
TANK used buses are in demand. They are well-maintained and kept very clean while in service, and command top dollar when auctioned.

timecruncher

Not surprised by that - even these retired ones are in excellent condition.

Do you happen to know where any ex-TANK buses have headed after the auction block? I'm not sure how often MidWest Bus updates their inventory, but it appears that some of TANK's old Phantoms are still up for offer.

One series that I have not been able to determine the whereabouts of is the 550 numbering series, made up of shorter 2002 Advantages. They seem to have been used exclusively for shuttle service but disappeared within the past couple of years - I just don't know where to...
Harvestman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of updates:

2111 is still alive and well. It has been wearing this wrap since the publicity campaign for the 35X route was introduced last year (along with another newer model whose number I can't remember). Incidentally, this is the first time I've ever seen an Advantage old enough to have flip-dot displays serving the NKU Shuttle route.

2111 by harvestmanman, on Flickr

2112 has had this wrap on for a while, but it eluded me until recently.

TANK 2112 by harvestmanman, on Flickr
TANK 2112 by harvestmanman, on Flickr

Additionally, 2118 is still in the fleet, but I am not certain if it is active or not. I saw the rear of it sticking out of the bus bay at Ft. Wright, in the space where the heritage vehicles are usually stored. Will have to do some sightseeing and determine whether or not there are others stored in that space, as the heritage vehicles have been stored outside for a couple of weeks now.
Harvestman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update on the status of these buses...

2107 was in service as of April...
2107 by Cincinnati NKY Buses, on Flickr

...but appears to be in storage for now (not officially retired yet, as the farebox is still in place).
TANK 2107 by Cincinnati NKY Buses, on Flickr

2108 is in the same situation, but it is being stored in an extra bay in the shop and may have had its fare box removed.
TANK 2108 by Cincinnati NKY Buses, on Flickr

2110 through 2113 are still out and about.
TANK 2110 (2) by Cincinnati NKY Buses, on Flickr
TANK 2111 by Cincinnati NKY Buses, on Flickr
TANK 2112 by Cincinnati NKY Buses, on Flickr
TANK 2113 by Cincinnati NKY Buses, on Flickr

2114 has been retired. It is sitting behind 2107 in the "dead line" which means that I am unable to get a good photo of it for now.

2118 is retired and appears to have had some parts scavenged from it.
TANK 2118 by Cincinnati NKY Buses, on Flickr
Harvestman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, only two 2000 LFs are left in service: #2111 and #2113. I have not actually seen #2113 on runs recently, but it has also not showed up minus the farebox with the rest of the retirees.

Additionally, TANK has retired #2131, a 2002 LF. These will likely be the next to go when the 2000s are finally all retired - and given that the 2016 models are being prepped quickly, they may even retire one or two more of the 2002s.
Harvestman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 2000 models have been retired since March. #2111 was the last one left in service.

In addition to #2131, TANK has also retired one 2004 model, #2133. #2137 (another 2004) has been with those two in the "dead line" area, but seeing that it still has a farebox, I'm assuming it is used as a spare bus. (The same thing was done with #2107 before its retirement.)

Additionally, 2006 BRT #885, which had been under repair for several months after an accident, is now back on the road. Plaudits to TANK's hardworking maintenance staff for keeping those on the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: