BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvestman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: New here... Reply with quote

Hello there. I'm Peter, a sophomore at Northern Kentucky University and a card-carrying transit addict. (The card, of course, being the student ID card that gets me free fare. Smile ) I'm also registered on NYC Transit forums and CPTDB under a similar username.

I've been following SORTA (Cincinnati Metro) and TANK (Northern Kentucky) for a year or two now. Decided that it was a good idea to do it while SORTA still had some of their Gillig Phantoms in service. They have been phasing them out over the past five years or so, and are down to a few dozen now. In addition, TANK has begun to retire some of their Gillig Advantages recently.

My minor goal of photography is to find and capture the vanishing parts of the fleets while they are still operative. Although it's not an immediate goal, I may end up taking photos of most of TANK's active fleet - just because I can!

I'm on a transit lounge on Facebook and know very well that brand loyalty is important. I hope the same does not play a large part on this forum, but just in case, here are my thoughts:
Gillig Phantoms are not great buses - rattly, noisy and relatively slow. This is at its worst when, like SORTA, the operator does not maintain them well. My experiences with SORTA's New Flyer D40LFs have been mostly positive - much more satisfying and comfortable than the Phantoms. Overall, I'd have to say my favorite bus is the Advantage - the models in SORTA's and TANK's fleets have been consistently good and very comfortable to ride. I have only had the opportunity to ride one Gillig BRT, but it was excellent - having only had one ride, I can't fairly rate it.

Anyway, I've got a small collection of photos from around the area that I'd love to put up in the gallery. I'm looking forward to seeing what this forum has to offer.
Harvestman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a specific place to request a Gallery account, by chance? Many photos await sharing...
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BusTalk.

A gallery account has been created for you. Please check your message box on here for your log in information.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of transit aficionado's in the greater Cincinnati area. I suggest you visit Metro's Queensgate Division on the 3rd Saturday of the month around 7:30pm when the Cincinnati Transit Historical Association gets together. Usually there is a slideshow, and about half of the members are retired Metro/TANK people. I am one of the founding members, but I'm in Louisville and work for TARC full-time, and I have a hard time getting to meetings every month.

There are several CTHA members who work at TANK both as drivers and supervisors/dispatchers as well.

timecruncher
Harvestman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
There are lots of transit aficionado's in the greater Cincinnati area. I suggest you visit Metro's Queensgate Division on the 3rd Saturday of the month around 7:30pm when the Cincinnati Transit Historical Association gets together. Usually there is a slideshow, and about half of the members are retired Metro/TANK people. I am one of the founding members, but I'm in Louisville and work for TARC full-time, and I have a hard time getting to meetings every month.

There are several CTHA members who work at TANK both as drivers and supervisors/dispatchers as well.

timecruncher

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if they still have the buses set up at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds during the summer, but that was how I originally learned about the CTHA. I'm definitely interested in joining - what's the membership count like, and what is required to become a member?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: