BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Honeymooners- original 50's opening video clip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B53RICH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: The Honeymooners- original 50's opening video clip Reply with quote

Featuring what I guess is bus #2969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8wtG1zIt5o
Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, even if kind of blurry. I like the Buick too!
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, thanx for posting the video. I have bookmarked the site. Never knew that there was a different opening. I guess when Buick ended its sponsorship of the program a new opening was created.

I tried pausing the video in several spots to get the bus number. To these ancient eyes I think its bus # 2729, not the fabled 2969 although its blurred.

Perhaps one of the board meembers has the electronic and computer skills to come up with a clean picture and see if the # can be deciphered.

It could be two different buses since it is shown as being in motion with acknowledgement of the driver where the two publicity shots had the bus standing still.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: 'The Honeymooners' Reply with quote

As someone who was actually 'there' when The Honeymooners became an independent entity (it was originally one of many sketches presented as part of the Jackie Gleason Show), I don't remember the opening with the NYCO 4509 and the Buick (it was always a large and bright moon with Gleason's face in it). - this is not to say that the bus wasn't used - I just don't remember it!

Buick was the sponsor for quite some time and Gleason's favorite expression was "Mmmm Boy, It's a Buick".

On a personal note; when school was out, I often took the 'Berkshire Special' of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Rail Road out of Grand Central Station at 5:25PM to visit my aunt and uncle in Pittsfield, Mass.

This one particular time (for reasons that I don't remember), I had to be in the city early and found myself with several free hours before the train.

I'm walking along Broadway past the Paramount Theater which was advertising a live appearance by the Honeymooners.

To make a long story short (I wish you would do so, Mr. Linsky!), the episode was the one where Alice takes the cat to the vet to find that it is very ill and can only have a saucer of milk as a diet in its final days.

Ralph comes home while Alice is out and sees the vets notes and thinks he's the one that's going to die (the next scene is Norton helping Ralph to a saucer of milk).

Now, here's a real bit of trivia about the 'Kramden' character; there was an original Green Line hire by the name of Jerry DeSalvo who I got to know pretty well.

Jerry hung out in the poolrooms in Brooklyn at the same time that Jackie Gleason was breaking into show business but had not lost his appetite for a good snooker challenge!

They became quite friendly over those early years and Jerry, who Gleason always called 'Jimmy D', swore that the 'Kramden' character was fashioned after him.

Jerry was on the rotund side but was the direct opposite of what Gleason portrayed!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, New York

Jonesy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just want to add on real quick I didn't see the Original HoneyMooners i did the see newer one it was pretty good I watched it a couple times actually and liked it, I wasn't around around yet when the Original one came out but I do hope to see to get an Idea sorry I went OT on you guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: