BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Magnificent Scenicruiser: "America's Bus"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"America's Bus", without a doubt.

IMHO, the finest highway coach to ever grace the highways and byways of America.......truly a classic, in very sense of the word.....

http://m43.narod.ru/other_2/Greyhound/greyhound_scenicruiser_01_large.JPG
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver/all:

A classic roadside portrait of a new-era "SCENICRUISER SERVICE" Scenicruiser; IMHO, this scheme (and the original from 1954) were the most handsome to adorn the buses.

The later "Pepsi" scheme, to be quite frank, never did much for me; at least, not on the SCENICRUISERS. I much prefer the two earlier schemes, which were truly attractive and stylish.....

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/macneil/2006/jan28/greyhound-scenicruiser-postcard-circa-1961.jpg

(courtesy hankstruckpictures.com)

NYO
I totally agree! The second scheme, was adorned when the fleet was completely rebuilt in around 1961 by Marmon-Herrington, replacing the orginal twin Detroit Diesel four cylinder engines with the new DD 8v-71's.
Shortly thereafter, a couple of gold Scotchlite reflective tapes were added to the sides signifying Greyhound's golden anniversary in 1964.

As for the company using the term "Scenicruiser Service" on the entire fleet....well I did not care for that...IMHO, it 'diluted' the great name by sharing it with 4104's and 4106's. They said they did it to indicated the coaches, were air-conditioned and restroom equipped. I think they should have reserved that exalted name only for the PD-4501....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Good points, all....always appreciate your input!

Yes, it would seem that, by the end of the 60's, the SCENICRUISER aura had pretty much faded away from GREYHOUND operations, and the once-fabled SCENICRUISER had become "just another bus" in the vast GREYHOUND fleet.

The "combo car" conversions (TRAILWAYS also converted a number of EAGLES in this fashion) was yet another sign that the once luxurious and stately SCENICRUISER was falling even further from the highly exalted "Flagship Of The Fleet" status it had enjoyed for many years.

For me, the SCENICRUISER era ended NOT when GREYHOUND retired the last of the type, but when the final coach sporting "traditional" livery was retired (or repainted)

It WAS indeed a grand and luxurious era in intercity bus travel, while it all lasted........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-"PEPSI".........and that umistakeable air aura of dignity still remained.....

(also, note the '64/'65 World's Fair decal on the door)

http://tomsgarageonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DSC007351.jpg

(courtest: tomsgarageonline.con)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-"PEPSI".........and that umistakeable air aura of dignity still remained.....

(also, note the '64/'65 World's Fair decal on the door)

http://tomsgarageonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DSC007351.jpg

(courtest: tomsgarageonline.con)

Somehow, something about that photo doesn't look quite "right"....the tapes are in the right place, but they look too 'yellow', almost look like they were 'photoshopped' into the picture, from the way I recall the actual Scotchlite...

I do notice that the coach did receive the new one piece window on the entrance door, and the driver's window (other than the 'toll window".....
The second generation PD-4106 with the DD-3 parking brake also came from the factory that way starting in 1964....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I see now I was not the only one who thought those tapes were "too yellow"; with so much photoshopping "adjusments" to vintage photos these days, things can get tricky at times!

On an interesting trivia note, the updated running dog logo on the rear of the buses was not the same as those used on the sides.

Also, during the "gold striped livery years", the 4501 wore five different beltline slogans which all touted the many qualities of "Going Greyhound" (these can also be found on the many variations of lithographed tin toy GREYHOUND buses, during that same era)

GREYHOUND also replaced the lighted running dog emblem on the nose with an embossed aluminum "puppy plate"......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shiny, "gold-striped" SUPER SCENICRUISER.......stylishly-dressed passengers.....a driver who resembles a high-ranking Air Force man.....yes.....this was the GREYHOUND of the early/mid 60's, when intercity bus travel still retained that timeless aura of adventure and style......indeed.....it was a LONG time ago.......

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4127/5069541012_12b57f9f3d_b.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Yesterday, I purchased another tin (two-axle) SCENICRUISER off of eBay; this bus was obviously sold in New York terminals, as on the roof, there are depictions of Coney Island, the UN, and Idelwilde Airport; this would date the bus to no later than 1963.

Cannot wait to display this fine piece to ever-growing GREYHOUND collection.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick "side note", here......

IMHO, the SCENICRUISER was at once the most recognizeable intercity bus in America, during its heydey in the GREYHOUND fleet.

Even the sleek and distinctive EAGLE coaches, then the backbone of the CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS fleet, seemed to have taken a "back seat" in the public eye, compared to the SCENICRUISER.

Television, motion pictures, magazines, advertisements, toys......the timeless SCENICRUISER was indeed, for many years, "America's Favorite (and best known) intercity bus....it was a wonderful era in intercity bus travel indeed......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in rare footage of SCENICRUISERS.......and SILVERSIDES, just go on ebay and look for this dvd:

"CLASSIC GREYHOUND & BUS TOUR FILMS: 1950's-60's"

(trust me....you will NOT be disappointed!) Wink

I paid $12.99 for mine a few months back.......MORE than reasonable.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Yesterday, I purchased another tin (two-axle) SCENICRUISER off of eBay; this bus was obviously sold in New York terminals, as on the roof, there are depictions of Coney Island, the UN, and Idelwilde Airport; this would date the bus to no later than 1963.

Cannot wait to display this fine piece to ever-growing GREYHOUND collection.....

"NYO"

Just recieved this rare toy bus in yesterday's mail; the roof lithography also depicts the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, and Rockerfeller Center.

This toy bus is truly dated, by the lithography showing the old Parachute Jump at Coney Island in operation!

The Aquarium is also represented.

Truly a nostalgic and wonderful old toy SCENICRUISER.....and certainly not a bad deal for $25.00! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Today I aquired (through an eBay dealer) what might be the most unusual of all my vintage tin toy SCENICRUISERS.

While it is certainly recognizeable as a SCENICRUISER (even though its front end seems more in line with one of the original KASSBOHRER Eagles), and features roof-top windows of the rear seating area, its most unusual feature is that it is the ONLY tin SCENICRUISER in my collection that does NOT have the name "SCENICRUISER" emblazoned anywhere on it!

As even some of the more fanciful versions of tin SCENICRUISERS in my collection have the name prominently displayed on the body, this toy bus has no "SCENICRUISER" markings whatsoever.

Interestingly, it does feature the destination sign housing on the roof, as was used on the GX-2 prototype.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On closer inspection of my tin toy SCENICRUISER collection, the ONLY other one that does NOT have the word "SCENICRUISER" displayed is one tiny friction model that measures about 3 inches in length.

This is odd, especially when I see of the many tin single-deck GREYHOUNDS in my collection that bear "SCENICRUISER" lettering.....go figure! Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, yet another eBAy purchase has further enlarged my vintage toy GREYHOUND collection; this one is a "pseudo Fishbowl", tin friction (14" length), with a few minor dings and dents.

This is an earlier version of two I already have (one for CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS); this one features rubber tires and hubcaps.

The later version of this toy features solid plastic tires, and no hubcabs.

Like so many "non-SCENICRUISER" toys, it bears (what else?) the "SCENICRUISER" legend on its flanks!

The front end is a very good likeness of a Fishbowl; the body itself, is a more or less a "free lance generic" design, used on many tin litho buses of that era..........a wonderful and nostalgic old toy, at least 50 years old......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Just added yet another SCENICRUISER to my Greyhound archives, this one quite rare and very interesting!

This bus is made of cardboard, and measures about 10" long.

It bears the gold striping and bold "GREYHOUND" lettering of the early 1960's, and is quite nicely detailed.

What makes this an unusual collectible is that is once served as a taffy box for "DAFFY TAFFY" (Specially made for "Greyhound Foods Management, Incorporated, Detroit"

As one of the few cardboard SCENICRUISERS produced, it is, of course, a quite rare piece, one that indeed makes for a great addition to my ever-expanding GREYHOUND collection....... Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: