BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book by Andrew Sparberg: From a Nickel to a Token

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Book by Andrew Sparberg: From a Nickel to a Token Reply with quote

It is obvious that Andrew J. Sparberg is very familiar with the topic on which he writes, "From a Nickel to a Token, the journey from the Board of Transportation to the MTA."
---
This excellent, captivating book covers the years from the 1940 unification of New York's subway system to the 1968 creation of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. There are twenty well-written chapters, each focused on one important stage of those years.
---
As I sat in McDonald's this morning, I counted sixty bus photos among the 150 pictures in the book. Many were new to me and come from the archives of the New York Transit Museum, where the author has been a volunteer for years.
---
The photos are small, about 6.5 or 7 cm wide. Fortunately for me, who goes on memory and can only identify the make of the bus, the captions include the model number. I may learn these designations yet.
---
Because the paper is not glossy, it is easy to read the text. There is much more historical detail in this book than in many transit buff books. The author has provided a helpful bibliography and index. I remember these years well, and I appreciate the book. It is published by the Fordham University Press, which has published other excellent transportation books. Link HERE.

Joe McMahon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: