BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Layovers, Green Line Style'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: 'Layovers, Green Line Style' Reply with quote

Half the fun of driving a bus years ago (at least to me - because I wasn't really a professional) were the respites we enjoyed at the end of each run.

Naturally, the first thing we did at Green Line, after a grueling forty five to fifty minutes behind the wheel, was to stretch our legs and, weather permitting, take a stroll around the perimeter to make sure our car was still in one piece!

On the Q10 Lefferts Boulevard line the terminations were all desolate spots especially at night (except for the airport) which was fortuitous in that we could easily relieve ourselves without being seen (there were no bathrooms to run to).

Next, was our interior inspection which included checking for money behind every seat (I used to pick up enough loose change for at least one good lunch per week), making certain the emergency door lever was tight in its cradle (the kids used to play around with them, and the dashboard light and buzzer never kicked in), and relighting the dome bulbs that were out.

There was never a shift worked after dark on an 'Old Look' that didn't have at least of couple of dome lights out, and we had a our own method of turning them back on at least for a while.

The dome lights, situated above the seats, were oblong in shape and made of heavy milk glass with a magnified clear lens at the center.

Hitting the lens dead center with the side of our fists usually did the trick (don't try that with today's fluorescents!).

Finally, we would take our readings and relax with a couple of good cigarettes in the time we had left.

Now, I'll admit that what you've read so far is pretty mundane and doesn't sound like a lot of laughs but read on!

BTW; all of the above would automatically be obviated if it happened that we had a good looking lady friend riding along with us! (I guess it had to be the uniform!).

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, New York
Cyberider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty pleasant in retrospect, Mr. Linsky! The domelight trick worked on headlights too.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky: Permit me as a young passenger on the Q-60 to put three memories on to this board regarding GBL layovers.

1 - At the west end of the run, the bus would go down the ramp of the Queensboro Bridge and head north on 60th St. It would pull up short at the east end of the bus stop. All passengers would disembark and then the driver would shut off the bus. He would then go into a back door of Eduardo's Italian Restuarant, presumably to use the bathroom and perhaps get a drink. (This was an upscale restaurant, not a pizzeria). He would then emerge, get on the bus and bring it up to the corner to load and then go.

2 - In the middle of the run was the "extra fare zone" that started at Grand Avenue/Broadway and extended to 63rd Drive. If you got on before the zone and wanted to ride past the zone the fare was, I believe, an extra nickel over the base 15 cent fare. When you paid your fare you got a ticket for the extra fare to be turned in. If you weren't going past the end of the zone or got on in the zone the fare was 15 cents. When the bus got to the last stop, the front door was kept closed and all exited via the rear door. While the exiting was taking place, the driver got up and collected the tickets. Not a long respite but a chance to stretch the legs.

3 - There was a relief spot near the end of the route. I seem to remember it being a "wet" candy store (soda fountain, etc) on the east side of Queens Blvd in the narrow block between Hillside and Jamaica Avenues. The bus would pull up, the driver would get off and another one got on to continue the trip to the end of the line. Can't remember if this procedure was the same on the westbound trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: