BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brooklyn Bridge: Els, Trolleys, But No Buses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that as long as we're talking trolley cars crossing East River bridges to and from Manhattan, we certainly can't leave out one of the best known and longest lasting of the breed.

Therefore, I present an unusually clear photo of fleet # 603 - a 1929 44 passenger Osgood-Bradley Safety Car dubbed an Electromobile operating for the Queensboro Bridge Railway Company (QBRC) but was originally purchased used from the Union Street Railway Company of New Bedford, Massachusetts.

A little history about these unique cars and the company that made them;

Osgood Bradley, Inc. of Worcester, Mass., a company with roots dating to the stage coach era of the early nineteenth century, made a demonstrator and a few car orders for New Bedford, as well as Scranton, Altoona, and Logan Valley in Pennsylvania. The demonstrator was eventually sold to York Railways and some of New Bedford's fleet later saw service on the QBRC.

These ultra modern (for their day) trams were painted in the dark green shown in the photo when they arrived from Massachusetts and were later repainted to the orange and cream livery carried by affiliated Steinway Omnibus Corporation.

Dimensions: 44 feet long, 96 inches wide and 120 inches high with an astounding weight of nearly 37,000 lbs. or over 18 tons.

Operating the Q101 line from Long Island City (seen in photo) to 2nd. Avenue and 59th. Street in Manhattan via the Queensboro Bridge (now Ed Koch), these cars performed a vital service in linking riders to the then isolated Roosevelt Island via a stop at the center of the bridge that led to elevators.

This service was forced to continued until a bridge from Astoria to the island was built in the late fifties making the bridge cars the last in the city to retire and the last such operation in the State of New York until 1985 when the City of Buffalo began a modern light rail service.

Some of the QBB 600's were eventually dismantled with parts split between the Electric City and Shore Line Trolley Museums.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 181559646668.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Operating the Q101 line from Long Island City (seen in photo) to 2nd. Avenue and 59th. Street in Manhattan via the Queensboro Bridge (now Ed Koch), these cars performed a vital service in linking riders to the then isolated Roosevelt Island via a stop at the center of the bridge that led to elevators.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 181559646668.

Nice photo Mr. L. but a couple of tweaks are necessary to the above paragraph. The car was traveling on the Bridge Local line operated by the Queensboro Bridge Railway affiliated with Steinway Omnibus as you noted. The Q101 was (and is) the Steinway Street bus line which still crosses the bridge but was unable to stop at the Welfare Island elevator (renamed Roosevelt in the early 70s). While Ed Koch was honored by having his name appended to the bridge before he passed away, Queensboro remains in the official title - Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge although I don't know of anyone who refers to it that way.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:

Nice photo Mr. L. but a couple of tweaks are necessary to the above paragraph. The car was traveling on the Bridge Local line operated by the Queensboro Bridge Railway affiliated with Steinway Omnibus as you noted. The Q101 was (and is) the Steinway Street bus line which still crosses the bridge but was unable to stop at the Welfare Island elevator (renamed Roosevelt in the early 70s). While Ed Koch was honored by having his name appended to the bridge before he passed away, Queensboro remains in the official title - Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge although I don't know of anyone who refers to it that way.

X-Astorian",

What can I tell you - I'm not exactly an expert on the City's trolley Lines but I think I got most of it right anyway.

BTW; if you look in the distance ahead of # 603 and the Reingold Beer truck it's following you can just catch a glimpse the tail of a FACCO model 720 on the # 15 route (82nd. Street and Northern Boulevard to 25th. and 5th. in Manhattan) via the same bridge.

Thanks for your notations.

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

What can I tell you - I'm not exactly an expert on the City's trolley Lines but I think I got most of it right anyway.

Of course, you did - I just like to play clean up. Please keep up the fine photos and narrative.

BTW; if you look in the distance ahead of # 603 and the Reingold Beer truck it's following you can just catch a glimpse the tail of a FACCO model 720 on the # 15 route (82nd. Street and Northern Boulevard to 25th. and 5th. in Manhattan) via the same bridge.

Ah, "My beer is Rheingold the dry beer, think of ......" I'll spare you all the rest and be thankful you can't hear me singing along. Mr. L., thanks for pointing it out because I never would have noticed the 720 in the distance. In 1949 they still had four more years of service. The trolleys I remember, the double deckers I do not.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: