BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second Hand BTC (Baltimore) Old Looks/Second Hand Roundup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Roth wrote:
roymanning2000 wrote:
At one time, there was a website called btco.com (or something like that) that had a lot of history on the Baltimore Transit Co. Don't know if it's still around, though.

As for Philadelphia, back in the March, 1969 issue of Motor Coach Age, there was a Philly roster and some of the second-hand GM's may appear on there.

Roy

Roy, sad to say btco.com is gone. That is where I first met up with NYO2629 as he did some of his finest work there. Also, PCC 7407 pictured in his Baltimore post is alive and well at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum where I am a member. I operated it at members day just two weeks ago.

John

John:

Many thanks, my friend! Very Happy

Sure do appreciate the kind words; for me, my posting on BTCo was indeed a labor of love! Wink

We sure had a great time on that forum! Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

Not exactly "on topic", but, bieng from Baltimore, you should find this of interest! Wink

"NYO"

http://www.greyhoundcoach.com
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the later 1990's, I remember riding on ex-DART coaches (RTS units) that had been purchased by ACADEMY (I rode them as part of my commute between Hoboken (PATH terminal) and North Bergen (Nungessers) on the ACADEMY Boulevard East route (rush hours only)

These second-hand buses were HORRIBLE performers and had a/c's that were virtually worthless!!! Sad

I cannot tell even begin to tell you how many times these clunkers died en route!! Mad

The 3200-series Flex Metros previously used were far better than the second-hand RTS's, IMHO.

(and.......all the while...... dreams of Old Looks and Fishbowls danced through my head) Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting "overseas second-hand transaction" took place in the late 1940's, after PSNJ abandoned its ASV operations in Hudson and Essex Counties.

A number of retired ASV's made the voyage from the United States to Cuba, where they were to operate in Havana, replacing the ancient tram fleet then operating there.

Although a few were tested successfully under wire (dual overhead was already in place, as the trams were double-pole cars) none of the coaches ran in trolley bus mode.

Some ran as conventional motor buses for some years until they were retired......

"NYO"

*(scroll down page for old newspaper photo of one of the ex-PS coaches in Havana):

http://www.tramz.com/cu/hb/hbb.html
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO,

Here's an interesting one for you;

Pictured sometime in the late thirties at a company yard is fleet # 1450 - a 1935 32 passenger Yellow Coach modeled as a 728 and operating for Public Service Coordinated Transport of Newark, New Jersey.

What makes #1450 and four of its siblings so interesting is that they were ex New York City Omnibus Corporation (NYCO) numbered in the 500's (#1450 was #511) and sold off virtually before they were really broken in.

It's odd because neither company was short of buses at the time and, in fact, NYCO had a total of 270 of the model.

Just another one of those mysteries yet to be solved.

Enjoy,

Photo courtesy of '4509bus'

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

GREAT PIC! Very Happy

Thanks for sharing! (being a lifelong "Joisey Boy", you KNOW how much I love anything PSNJ-related!) Wink

That photo looks as though it might have been taken at either Newark's Ferry St. shops, or the Passaic Wharf facility in nearby Harrison (that is, if this was on the Essex Division!)

Little "mysteries" like this are what makes our hobby so interesting; for instance, even though I've had my tattered copy of a 1978 MOTOR COACH AGE for at least 20 years, last night was the FIRST time I had ever noticed in the roster that two DE CAMP C-44's were sold to NHBL IBOA owners SIVAD TRANSPORTATION and A&W BUS CO. in 1957 (the same year yours truly hit this planet)

The buses became B-148 and B-159; I don't think these buses (AFAIK, the only ACF-BRILLS in the NHBL fleet) lasted all that long on "The Boulevard", as I have no recollection of them whatsoever.

In fact, the only ACF-BRILLS I remember on the Boulevard were those operated by INTER-CITY, on the #97 (JSQ-Paterson)

Well into the 60's, DE CAMP operated C-44's on the old #22 out of JSQ; Mom and I often rode these out to Verona, to visit my aunt who then lived in West Orange.

Man, I LOVED those beefy, sleek, tough-sounding machines!

It IS true....you DO learn something NEW every day! Smile

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on topic, but this late 40's PSNJ photo has always been one of my favorites.

You are looking northwest (towards Bergenline Avenue) in one of the cavernous bays of the sprawling PS "carbarns" in Union City (it also served ASV's until 1947, and streetcars until 1949)

Note the variety of now-historic buses keeping the old streetcars company; the "ol'-timey" front engined bus on the left is signed for the "22 HILLSIDE". Many years later, this route would be operated by FranMar, then ACADEMY, and finally, NJT.

This is a route I knew and rode quite often; it has, sadly, been cut back to Nungessers, and hasn't served my town for close to a decade.

Note the one bus on the right sporting a luggage rack (perhaps this was used on Atlantic City runs?)

The service truck seen here was on duty for decades; I well recall seeing it awaiting the call to duty, when Mom and I would walk up to the barns to "see the buses", many eons ago.

NJT closed this huge facility in the early 90's; it is now a city DPW garage.

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/psct/htm/psct150.htm

(courtesy newdavesrailpix)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More interesting "second hand trivia"........

Around the late 1950's/very early 60's, BTC purchased five ACF-BRILLS from a Queens, NY, operator.

The red and white buses never ran in revenue service in Baltimore, but were stripped of parts to be used on BTC's own fleet of Brills.

Could these have been former QUEENS-NASSAU TRANSIT coaches? (I know that the 15 rostered by this company were the only ACF-BRILLS to run in New York)

(source: Baltimore Transit Archives)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On page #17 of "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (Guy E. Martin) there is a photo of a QUEENS-NASSAU ACF-Brill (#107); according to the text, the last of the ACF-BRILLS were displaced by 1960.

Their replacements were GM TDH-5302 New Looks.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on "QUEENS-NASSAU TRANSIT", regarding used equipment:

Six TWIN diesels were aquired in 1948, numbered 2140 through 2144.......

(source: "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (Guy E. Martin)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1949, TRIBOARO COACH COMPANY purchased three H-16-S ACF's from JAMAICA BUSES; 12 more were purchased from QUEENS-NASSAU TRANSIT in 1953.

Five more of the type were purchased used in 1954.

(source: "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES", by Guy E. Martin)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of TRIBORO's ACF H-16-S's..............

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1312

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
In 1949, TRIBOARO COACH COMPANY purchased three H-16-S ACF's from JAMAICA BUSES; 12 more were purchased from QUEENS-NASSAU TRANSIT in 1953.

Five more of the type were purchased used in 1954.

(source: "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES", by Guy E. Martin)

"NYO"

NYO,

And, here's one of the three Jamaica ACF H-16-S's while still in World's Fair livery for which they were originally purchased and where the photo was taken.

These ACF's were completely out of character for Jamaica before the war because the company was a devout Twin Coach customer - I guess ACF made them an offer that they couldn't refuse in an effort to gain their business.

I'm not going to comment on the height of the average Jamaica driver except to say that maybe they were all ex Jamaica Race Track jockeys!

Photo owned by this writer.

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Yet another MAGNIFICENT glimpse into the distant past.....thanks for sharing!

The drivers' uniforms recall that long-gone era when bus drivers could easily be mistaken for a gentleman of a "much higher calliing"! (GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS, in particular, gave the impression that their buses were being piloted by high-ranking Air Force officials!)

BTW: Were those drivers by any chance related to either Billy Shoemaker or Johnny Longden? Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another ACF of TRIBORO, seen here awaiting the call to duty at the Elmhurst garage......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1314

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: