BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second Hand BTC (Baltimore) Old Looks/Second Hand Roundup
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Second Hand BTC (Baltimore) Old Looks/Second Hand Roundup Reply with quote

In the 1950's, the BTC purchased Old Looks second-hand from several other properties (Knoxville, Augusta, and Buffalo)

These buses were purchased by the BTC for use on minor lines; these were lines where the BTC did not want to invest in new diesels, nor did they wish to use gasoline buses on these routes.

Models included TD-3609's and TDH-3610's.

(During the 50's, the PTC was also aquiring second-hand buses)

Does anyone here have more detailed info on these buses and their ultimate dispositions? (any photos?)

Appreciate any info.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Second Hand BTC (Baltimore) Old Looks Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
In the 1950's, the BTC purchased Old Looks second-hand from several other properties (Knoxville, Augusta, and Buffalo)

These buses were purchased by the BTC for use on minor lines; these were lines where the BTC did not want to invest in new diesels, nor did they wish to use gasoline buses on these routes.

Models included TD-3609's and TDH-3610's.

(During the 50's, the PTC was also aquiring second-hand buses)

Does anyone here have more detailed info on these buses and their ultimate dispositions? (any photos?)

Appreciate any info.....

"NYO"

NYO,

Nice of you to drop by - hope everything good at home.

What little I know concerning your questions is only the fact that many of Trenton Transit Company's original Old Looks were spread across the East Coast including Triboro Coach Corporation that bought six 'Dieselized' 1944 TG-4006's in 1962 (see # 1161 below) and were used pretty much as you describe.

It wouldn't surprise me that some of Baltimore's surplus Old Looks came from Trenton (just around the corner- so to speak).

Photo credit with frame

Many regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Appreciate the response, and greatly enjoyed the photo you posted; seems like only yesterday that I can recall seeing similiar buses, day in and day out!

BTW:

If I am not mistaken, weren't some NYCTA Old Looks purchased for further service by Jersey City's Lafayette & Greenville, many years ago?

"NYO"

(Yes, Mom has had a string of some pretty rough days as of late; this was one reason that I have not been on the board for some time. Just have to take things one day at a time......appreciate the concern!)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Appreciate the response, and greatly enjoyed the photo you posted; seems like only yesterday that I can recall seeing similiar buses, day in and day out!

BTW:

If I am not mistaken, weren't some NYCTA Old Looks purchased for further service by Jersey City's Lafayette & Greenville, many years ago?

"NYO"

(Yes, Mom has had a string of some pretty rough days as of late; this was one reason that I have not been on the board for some time. Just have to take things one day at a time......appreciate the concern!)

NYO,

Not many of the city's 4507's 4510's or 5101's were ever sold off but a goodly number of the 7000 and 9000 5106's were only because they were still fairly new when the deluge of New Looks began to arrive.

You mention Lafayette & Greenfield and you are correct as evidenced by the 'retired' ex NYC 9000 seen below.

Blue and White, also a Jersey operator to my knowledge, bought at least one and several made their way to Long Island operators including Babylon Transit Company.

Photo owned by this writer.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

That sad image was snapped at "the yards" (west of Willow Avenue) in Hoboken; I have a number of photos I took there in the late 70's, and there was truly a treasure trove for the bus fan....just about anything "local" could be found there!

I recall seeing Old Looks from several different companies there (either OOS permanetly or undergoing repairs); NHBL, PS, SOMERSET, WASHINGTON STREET, and BLUE & WHITE.

One of the saddest buses I snapped was an ex-SOMERSET Old Look suburban, listing heavily to one side, and already well stripped.

There were even several well-kept, square-window Old looks, bearing metal "SCHOOL BUS" signs.

The last photo I snapped there was during the summer of 1978, on a sleepy, hazy Sunday.

Talk about a museum fleet.....sure wish I could have saved at least a few!

Oh, well......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another L&G Old Look (#216), still "on the job" in 1975.

This scene is truly classic, and brings back great memories of the days when gritty old industrial buildings and Old Looks were still commonplace sights in Jersey City......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?691

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aforementioned BLUE & WHITE was another old company whose yards once held many second-hand treasures; here we see #101, a handsome suburban, surrounded by other vintage relics (note ex-PS unit on the right)

This is another location where yours truly snapped photos, back in the days when I had yet to hit age 20(!!)........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?135

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the most noteworthy property in the greater Hudson County area to purchase and operate second (and third-) hand relics, was yet another defunct operation, WASHINGTON STREET LINES in Hoboken.

Area bus fans of the day knew this was indeed a haven for cast-off antiques (yours truly included!)

Here we see two such second-hand coaches, one ex-PSNJ, and the other a former GREEN BUS unit; both buses were then still proudly displaying their original colors.

I well recall one ex-PS Old Look (re-numbered 30-X, MARIA TRANSPORTATION CO., I believe) still rumbling up and down Washington Street until about 1985.

The bus was still wearing its old PSNJ two-tone green, and the circles where the PS emblem had once been on the sides was still distinct.

Memories, memories......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?638

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?639

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the most noteworthy property in the greater Hudson County area to purchase and operate second (and third-) hand relics, was yet another defunct operation, WASHINGTON STREET LINES in Hoboken.

Area bus fans of the day knew this was indeed a haven for cast-off antiques (yours truly included!)

Here we see two such second-hand coaches, one ex-PSNJ, and the other a former GREEN BUS unit; both buses were then still proudly displaying their original colors.

I well recall one ex-PS Old Look (re-numbered 30-X, MARIA TRANSPORTATION CO., I believe) still rumbling up and down Washington Street until about 1985.

The bus was still wearing its old pSNJ two-tone green, and the circles where the PS emblem had once been on the sides was still distinct.

Memories, memories......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?638

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?639

NYO,

#7 of the two is ex Green Line 4512 # 112 and #11 is obviously an ex PSCTNJ 4512 as evidenced by the custom signals and the missing GM badge and wings under the windshield.

Nice photos,

Mr. 'L'
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

You know your stuff....thanks fir the additional info!

If I am not mistaken, a few years back, didn't you share a photo of a 1930's MACK, that was still running on the Washington Street line back in the 60's?

I remember being totally blown away when I saw that bus, as I can recall riding it with Mom well over 50 years ago (I STILL remember what a noisy old relic it was.....the way a bus is SUPPOSED to sound!) Wink

Hard to believe that the last time I rode an Old Look in revenue service was in 1986, nearly 30 years ago!

Where does the time go......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot be sure, but it looks like that is the rear of a L&G bus just edging into the photo at extreme left, in this 1977 image taken at the BERGEN AVENUE garage.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?124

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGRESTA (WASHINGTON ST., HOBOKEN) #9 at the PATH/Erie-Lackawanna terminal, 1974.

This appears to be another ex-PSNJ unit.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2959

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2960

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Baltimore....

Two BTC Old Looks can be seen in the background of this early 60's street scene (looks as though "urban renewal" was in full swing, when this photo was snapped)

The PCC streetcar, Old Looks, and 1960 Chevy all wonderfully date this long-ago view from the Monumental City......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?21684

(courtesy nycsubway.org0
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 1950's, MOUNTAIN COACHES, Inc; (which operated the #144 between Newark and Caldwell) was formed as an affiliate of TRACKLESS TRANSIT; the company hastily aquired a number of ex-NYCTA TDH-4507's, rebuilt with mechanical shift.

These buses had no center doors and suburban interiors.

They were painted green and cream with silver roof.

They ran for a number of years until gradually replaced by New Look GM's.

(source: MOTOR COACH AGE)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 60's, I well recall the big TDM's of LAKELAND, when my folks and I would go up to visit my aunt and uncle at their summer bungalow in Sussex county.

Ahhh, what sweet music they made when in 'full cry"!

Mention of second-hand PSNJ buses is also here......

http://www.classicbusdepot.com/bus-photos/5_0_1_0_C/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: