BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Day Event 10/15-16: Jamaica to East Hampton LIRR(NICE/SCT)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: 2 Day Event 10/15-16: Jamaica to East Hampton LIRR(NICE/SCT) Reply with quote

Good Afternoon,

The Long Island Bus Riders' Union is excited to announce it's first ever "Rate the Ride: Aaron's Adventure"! Aaron, along with LIBRU members will be traveling from Jamaica, Queens to both North and South forks of Long Island ONLY relying on the Nassau and Suffolk County buses!

Some might wonder why anyone would want to make this trip and possibly get stranded. Our purpose is to demonstrate the importance of Long Island's public transportation system while brining attention to the most common concerns and struggles that bus riders are facing, many of which include late or no-show buses.

The trip will begin on Wednesday, October 15th at the Jamaica Station and will end on at the East Hampton Long Island Railroad Station on Thursday, October 16th (that's right - TWO DAYS!). We will be live Tweeting, Facebooking and Blogging as we ride the bus and speak with other riders. Please visit the following links on the 15th and 16th to see how the ride is going!

BRU Twitter: @LIBRU

LIBRU Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Long-Island-Bus-Riders-Union/108208389303438

LIBRU Blog: http://www.longislandbusridersunion.org
We would love to have others join us at any point along the route! If you are interested, please contact Aaron Watkins-Lopez at awlopez.lijwj@gmail.com, or at (516) 724-6145, for more information about which bus he is taking and what time!

We will keep you posted as we gear up for the trip! Hope to see you on our "adventure"!

In Solidarity,

The Long Island Bus Riders' Union

longisland.bru@gmail.com
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All power to you!
I am not a regular bus rider, but I applaud the show. My most extensive run happened during a Pennsylvania RR strike in the summer of 1960, when the LIRR could not operate. I took the subway from upper Manhattan to Jamaica and rode Bee Line to Freeport. I then traveled Utility Lines to Oakdale. In that era, if memory is correct, the route was Freeport all the way to Patchogue, zone by zone on a cash register. My friends weren't home! I returned to NYC and repeated the trip the next day! I recall traffic jams along Merrick Road, since it went through some business districts with only two travel lanes.
---
More recently, I did Sayville to Seaford, with a considerable wait in Babylon.
Joe
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Update on 2-Day NICE/SCT Field Trip Reply with quote

Rail and bus buffs are welcome to join us as we try to make history.
Trip details for October 15-16
Step 1: Starting at Jamaica Center, boarding 6:30 n4 Freeport arriving Lynbrook-5 Corners at 7:06. Possibly bus might run late. If bus runs well, maybe n4X which pickup in Valley Stream at Central and Rockaways Avs goes to Lynbrook 5-corners as well.

Step 2: 7:40 n36 Freeport arriving Freeport Station at 8:12.

Step 3: 8:26 n40 Mineola arriving Hempstead Transit Center 8:50.

Staying until 10:30.

Step 4: 10:40 n49 Jericho arriving Hicksville Station at 11:09.

Step 5: 11:55 n79 South Huntington arriving Walt Whitman Mall at 12:31pm. Remember if you are using MetroCard, transfering to S23 bus, please ask for transfer slip. NOTE: GoMobile users do not get free transfer. Paper transfer slip expires within 2-hours.
n79 rider say sometimes n79 might run late due to crowd boarding.

Step 6: 13:30 S23 Babylon arriving Babylon Station at 14:20.
http://sct-bus.org/schedules/s23.pdf- We could ask driver to radio 14:30 S27 bus.
Maybe this might be late.

Step 7: 14:30 S27 Happague arriving NYS Office Building at 15:37.
http://sct-bus.org/schedules/s27.pdf
This bus is frequent late.

Step 8: 15:30 S54 Patchogue departing at 16:09, arriving NYS 454/Johnson Av at 16:30.
http://sct-bus.org/schedules/s54.pdf

Step 9: 15:S54 Patchogue departing at 17:03, arriving Patchogue Station at 18:50.
http://sct-bus.org/schedules/s54.pdf

Step 10: 17:30 S66 Riverhead arriving 18:50.
If connection is not made, 18:30 S66 Riverhead arriving 19:50.

10/16
Step 11: 7:00 S92 Oriental Point departing 7:50, arriving Oriental Point at 8:55.

Step 12: 9:40 S92 East Hampton arriving East Hampton Station 12:15.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to all.
P.S. ORIENT Point
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
All power to you!
I am not a regular bus rider, but I applaud the show. My most extensive run happened during a Pennsylvania RR strike in the summer of 1960, when the LIRR could not operate. I took the subway from upper Manhattan to Jamaica and rode Bee Line to Freeport. I then traveled Utility Lines to Oakdale. In that era, if memory is correct, the route was Freeport all the way to Patchogue, zone by zone on a cash register. My friends weren't home! I returned to NYC and repeated the trip the next day! I recall traffic jams along Merrick Road, since it went through some business districts with only two travel lanes.
---
More recently, I did Sayville to Seaford, with a considerable wait in Babylon.
Joe

I properly will get off S66 bus at Mastic-Shirley Station because I don't want to get stuck in heavy rainstorm on 16th.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: