BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will NICE save an Orion V CNG once they retire?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Will NICE save an Orion V CNG once they retire? Reply with quote

What the question says, does anyone think they'll save an Orion V CNG and perhaps donate it to MTA's museum fleet? I mean, the Vs have been running on LI since the late 80s and early 90s. Hell, MTA's REAL first Orion Vs were Long Island bus's #579-599, not #101-316. At least the MTA would finally get a CNG V in their Museum since they scrapped all their NYCT units a few years ago and I doubt they are going to save any of the remaining Bus Company units.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason for NICE to keep an Orion V would be for Nassau not MTA. Buses that were at Eastchester were towed back to Nassau when LIB ceased and NICE began. Fact of the matter is Nassau owns the LIB/NICE buses, not MTA.

Now I have heard of a MSBA Fishbowl kicking around so you never real know.
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's dumb. MTA paid, speced, and maintain these buses, while Nassau didn't want to do anything, so I think the MTA should of gain full ownership of EVERYTHING.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MTA actually paid the entire purchase price of the bus, they would be running in either the Bronx or Brooklyn as we speak. MTA paid a fraction of the actual cost at best.
As far as specs, NICE will be in charge of that for the next order. Maintaining, well that's part of running the service.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:

Now I have heard of a MSBA Fishbowl kicking around so you never real know.

Yeah NICE has said that they want to restore the MSBA 1973 GMC S8H5304A #9117 (Formerly 117) when they have the money so they can have it as a musem piece. For now though they seem to be using it, first in conjuntion with the Summer Service to Jones Becah, and now in conjuntion with their new mobile pay app.

I'm not sure though if anything has been said on keeping an CNG bus. Though I seem to recall a converstation on anothersite where people said that it would seem unlikely for anyone to save a CNG bus because the tanks need to be replace and the cost of buying new ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the MTA saved a CNG powered RTS, so why can't NICE do the same?
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that Command Bus Company TMC RTS CNG #4904 from what I understand can not run anymore. Tanks are around $8000.00 each from what I've heard, times however many are up there. Plus the rest of the parts required and labor hours. You wind up with a static display that has to be towed anywhere you want to use it.

A Orion V diesel with a CNG tank cover installed would be practical as far as being able to run. Unfortunately, when NYCT got there way with Regional Bus, the remaining diesels were first to go.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:

I didn't say that NICE would or wouldn't save a CNG bus, and I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I was just satying what I heard that it may not be worth saving a CNG bus. I mean NICE may see that it's worth saving a CNG bus were others may not. It's all up to what NICE wants to do.

Last edited by S-60 To Smith Haven Mall on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
R62CNG wrote:

I did say that NICE would or wouldn't save a CNG bus, and I didn't mean for it to come off that way.

I don't think it is up to Veolia, but they can make a suggestion. I believe it is up to the bus owner, which would be Nassau County. Nassau is cash poor, so it is hard to say if they will keep one when they can make money scrapping them.

Last edited by GBL Rebel on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
R62CNG wrote:

I did say that NICE would or wouldn't save a CNG bus, and I didn't mean for it to come off that way.

I don't think it is up to Veolia, they but they can make a suggestion. I believe it is up to the bus owner, which would be Nassau County. Nassau is cash poor so hard to say if they will keep one when they can make money scrapping them.
But isn't Nassau one of the richest counties in America? How are they broke exactly?
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am not here for finance lessons. Google "Nassau Interim Finance Authority", and read a few different articles. That should answer any questions why Nassau County does not hand over money willingly for the NICE bus system.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNG: You are mixing up the residents of Nassau County and its morally broken, patronage riddled and fiscally ignorant county government. The Republicans who have been in power for most years since the 1950's, don't want to raise tazes for fear of not getting re-elected.

If you don't raise your prices (taxes) and inflation keeps rising you can't pay your bills. You then go out and borrow the money using bonds. When the bond rating agencies lower your ratings because of your fiscal policis, the rate on the bonds go up because of the greater risk of default the lender. Means more in interest to pay on borrowed funds.

In order to try and alleviate the problems you have to cut expenses, except their cronies in do nothing jobs, as well as raise taxes. When Tom Suozzi, a Democrat, and a CPA did it ,he was vilified by the Republicans screamed bloody murder. It seems that Mangano is wedded to the " Don't raise taxes" mantra first espoused by Tom Gullota.

Therefore when a subsidized agency like NICE says they have no money and Nassau County won't increase their subsidies to do anything other than try to make service, they are probably correct.

That's your politics and finance lesson for today.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:
That's dumb. MTA paid, speced, and maintain these buses, while Nassau didn't want to do anything, so I think the MTA should of gain full ownership of EVERYTHING.

The MTA did not buy these buses - they were purchased using Federal funds allocated for Nassau County use only.
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
R62CNG wrote:

The MTA did not buy these buses - they were purchased using Federal funds allocated for Nassau County use only.

But they did place the orders and spec'd them and what not.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MTA cares to have an old LIB Orion V for the museum fleet, when they go for scrap, MTA can bid on them.

You keep saying "But", this does not change facts. Fact- MTA spec'd the Orion V's and VII's. That's great for them because they got buses made to how they do business. Fact- MTA maintained the buses. This was part of the job MTA were to perform. Fact- MTA pulled out NYCT owned equipment when LIB was folding. Which is their right if they out right own it. Please don't ask for details, I won't give you them until after I retire. Fact- MTA wanted more money and Nassau pulled the work from them. While this was Nassau's right to decide who runs the county bus system, this did leave a hard feelings.

Nobody is looking to crush your hopes of an Orion V being saved. There is more involved then you think in this case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: