BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'DELIVERY BY CACOON'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: 'DELIVERY BY CACOON' Reply with quote

For obvious reasons it was always Yellow/GM policy to deliver new buses west of the Rockies by rail box car as did the other eastern and mid western manufacturers.

In the accompanying Timkin-Detroit Axel Company ad dated 1945 we see a brand new 1945 44 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TD-4506 numbered in the 6,000's and allegedly picking up passengers 'right out of the box' so to speak for the Los Angeles Transit Lines (LATL), Inc. of that Golden State city.

I'm sure that the ad exaggerated its facts and while I'm unfamiliar L.A.'s protocols concerning newly received equipment, I can tell you that no bus in New York ever hit the streets without both state and city inspections - and that's for sure!

The blurb also indicates that the coach came through without its traditional green, white and yellow livery or 'fruit salad' scheme meaning that at the time LATL was in some way associated with National City Lines.

Also note that the bus was referred to as a new 'transitliner' - a name I've not heard of before but possibly generated by GM to introduce what is now the Old Look line.

Photo courtesy of '4509bus' and is available at eBay as item # 351153748430.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting ad to say the least and also a very deceptive one. The most obvious as Mr. L pointed out is placing this bus in service immediately after emerging from its so called "cocoon".

I also question the text that states that "Los Angeles Transit Lines choice of Timken Axles parallels that of large transit companies the country over." This sounds like LATL had the choice of axles and brakes from makers other than Timkem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that a company as large as Yellow Coach would use only one manufacturer of parts for it's production - in this case all of their axles and brakes were Timken.

As for "cocoon" shipping, this seemed to have been the methods of many western transit systems right up to the "new look" era. This was definitely the method used by AC Transit and the accompanying photo shows coach 124 as part of their first order.

Frankie

Photo courtesy of John McKane for educational purpose.

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="frankie"]Very interesting ad to say the least and also a very deceptive one. The most obvious as Mr. L pointed out is placing this bus in service immediately after emerging from its so called "cocoon".

I also question the text that states that "Los Angeles Transit Lines choice of Timken Axles parallels that of large transit companies the country over." This sounds like LATL had the choice of axles and brakes from makers other than Timkem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that a company as large as Yellow Coach would use only one manufacturer of parts for it's production - in this case all of their axles and brakes were Timken.

Frankie

Photo courtesy of John McKane for educational purpose.

Frankie,

The same thought crossed my mind as far as Yellow/GM parts suppliers go;

Timken was and still is a major manufacturer of drive train accessories and especially ball bearings and was undoubtedly well ensconced at Pontiac as an important vendor.

However, many years ago it was not unheard of for operators to specify particular manufacturers for certain parts in their new buses but you can bet that there were extra charges for those requests.

Nice AC photo.

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: