BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MACK C-50-DT "ambulances"/MACK memories
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: MACK C-50-DT "ambulances"/MACK memories Reply with quote

In James Clifford Greller's "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT SYSTEM: BUS AND TROLLEY COACH FLEET", there are several interior photos of a new MACK C-50-DT set up as an ambulance.

According to the text, these buses (5200-5599), purchased during the very early Cold War era, could be converted into ambulances in case of an emergency.

I think that this is something that is quite obscure to many area bus enthusiasts, and also something worth mentioning here.

Anyone here have any more info (or photos) on these MACKS (as ambulances?)

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hankg42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few pictures of C50-DTs, most of which have been seen before. I do not know the original sources. This picture shows one in good condition, prior to the rigors of NYC service having effect.

I have also seen the pictures of the interiors set up as an ambulance, and close ups of the "S" shaped seats. Unfortunately, I do not have any of those.

Edit: I loved the fact that ALL of the windows could be slid open, including the 2 rear windows over the engine bay.

C-50DT-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.04 KB
 Viewed:  31838 Time(s)

C-50DT-2.jpg

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As originally seen April 20th. 2013 in the 'Vintage New York City' thread;

Bus Transportation Magazine (circa 1950) brings us this interesting ad introducing Mack's specially designed C-50 series built for the then City of New York Board of Transportation (BofT).

400 of the 49 passenger C-50's numbered 5200 to 5599 hit New York's highways and byways between 1950 and 1951 and, as the brainchild of then BofT Commissioner Col. Sidney H. Bingham (pictured) were commonly referred to as 'Bingham Class Macks'.

While the C-50's were solid runners and steered like baby carriages, their immense weight of over 23,000 lbs (the heaviest buses in the city's arsenal at the time) played havoc with their consumption of both fuel and oil.

The cold war was in full swing at the time and the Colonel, an old Army man and being very civil defense minded, thought it to be a good idea to design the C-50's for use as emergency ambulances in the event of attack and incorporated an elaborate system of brackets to accommodate overhead stretchers.

Photo courtesy of '4509bus' and was sold on eBay.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

Appreciate your contributions....thank you!

Speaking of buses that could be used as ambulances, I wonder how many cities used retired buses as mobile medical examination units?

Years ago, I saw a 1960's CTA photo of a retired ex-CSL WHITE, showing the bus as a converted mobile medical examination unit.

Other than that photo, it cames as quite a surprise to see these MACKS equipped for ambulance conversion.......

"NYO"

BTW:

On a somewhat related note, at one time, there were elevated cars in Chicago that operated as hearses. After funeral service on the el lines ceased in the 1930's. one car (#2756) was converted into a medical examination car, that not only served the CRT lines, but also, the CA&E and the North Shore.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Came across the following (good comments!)......

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_71120-Mack-C50-DT-1951.html

(courtesy imcdb.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bingham" MACKS.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4251

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3620

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3329

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3622

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting shot of a Bingham Mack interior in ambulance ready mode thanks to Frankie.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L" (also Frankie):

Thanks for sharing this rare image; it is one of the several photos I mentioned seeing in the Greller work (page 55)

I'm willing to wager that the vast majority of New Yorkers who rode those buses every day had no inkling whatsoever that the coach they were aboard could be converted into an ambulance in case of emergency.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More vintage scenes of "Bingham MACKS" in action......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3965

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3978

(courtesy. bus.nycsubway.org)
Q65A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine being a stretcher patient swinging from the handrails as a large transit bus pounds the old Belgian block streets of Gotham in the '50's Shocked
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Imagine being a stretcher patient swinging from the handrails as a large transit bus pounds the old Belgian block streets of Gotham in the '50's Shocked

Q65A:

Sure would have made sense to have a good CHIROPRACTOR on board....(!!) Shocked

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note (from the present day).......

http://www.waynefas.com/mobile-ambulance-bus/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Greller work:

".......#C-50 was the demonstrator for the C-50 fleet that was purchased by the BofT in 1950. After demonstrating in other cities, the bus was sold to the BofT as a replacement for MACK #5369 that was damaged in a fire....."

"........this bus was similiar to the production C-50, lacking the aluminum belt rail, , and the window frames were slightly different from the production model. This was a modernized version of a standard MACK. It finished its days with the C-50 fleet as #5369......"

(IMHO, the pictures of this bus (page 59) show a coach, that, if possible, had an even tougher "attitude" than your usual MACK. Too bad that this fine coach wasn't saved from the scrap yard)

"NYO"
Hankg42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
... (Too bad that this fine coach wasn't saved from the scrap yard)
"NYO"

Unfortunately, all we have are pictures, and in some cases, some very clear memories.

I have a very clear memory of a C-50DT on Staten Island. I was coming home from school, and was waiting for a bus on Giffords Lane at the Great Kills train station, hoping a Mack would come along. Like my dad, I always preferred the Macks. Anyway, my first glimpse of the C-50 was as it approached the traffic light at Giffords and Amboy Road, and was waiting to make the left onto Giffords. I was so happy it was a Mack.

At the time, of course, I had no idea it was called a "Bingham Mack", nor that it was a C-50DT. All these years later, I have the members of this forum, and the books recommended here, that have provided so much knowledge on a topic near and dear to me. Thanks!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hankg42:

Back in the 60's, in my area of northern New Jersey, most MACKS seemed to be C-45's; the only suburban MACKS I remember were those rostered by ORANGE & BLACK.

The other companies I remember using MACKS were NHBL, SHBL, and CENTRAL AVENUE; I knew these old veterans well growing up.

By the late 60's, the MACKS were all becoming endangered species.

The last MACKS on the NHBL's #1 local were about 1967/68; I recall one suffering a serious engine fire a few blocks from our old apartment house, on a hot summer's day. For some strange reason, it was not towed away in a more or less timeley manner, but sat for quite a long spell until it was finally towed away.

Never saw the MACKS again on the old "Boulevard" lines; whatever the model, MACKS were very distinctive buses......their sounds and smells still remain with me after all these years.

They truly were buses with personalities....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: