BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PABT (Perpetually Aggravating Bus Terminal)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you multiply what you see in the image below (1950 Atlantic City) by the hundreds of small local bus terminals in the region at the time and all aiming tourists at Times Square, you'll begin to understand the chaos that plagued the streets of mid town Manhattan!

Even with the tumult though, it was a wonderful time for bus watchers what with each coach having its own personality along with combinations of all the hues of the rainbow.

Good memories.

Photo courtesy of '4509bus' and is available at eBay as item # 371114502104.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Once again, you've made me want to get my hands on that wonderful Wayback Machine, and travel back in time!

Man, I only wish we could see more of that handsome YELLOW on the left......I'd give anything to be behind the wheel of that beautiful beast!

As you already know, I have memories of the long-ago days of the 1960's, when Journal Square (Jersey City) was still a major open-air bus terminal......so many companies.....so many color schemes......so many makes and models of vintage buses.......what a feast for the eyes (and ears!)

Today, NJT buses, serving the bustling Hoboken Terminal, still utilize the old PSNJ terminal shed; as it is a basically open structure, it could also be classified as an "open air" terminal.

Also, recall the days before the GWB bus terminal opened in the early 1960's; here was yet another area that hustled with both suburban and long-haul buses.

It all was a great show, while it lasted!

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos, info, on the old DIXIE HOTEL terminal and its unique bus turntable.....

http://www.t2conline.com/the-things-hidden-in-plain-site-a-bus-depot-in-a-new-york-parking-lot/
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few times since 1960, I decided to explore PABT without buying a ticket. Quickly I encountered staff asking, "What are you doing here? What are you looking for?" In one instance, I wondered about the buses going to Dunellen and another places in the Raritan Valley, out US 22. I believe they bore a Blue Star as the highway did. I rode the escalator up to the platform, encountered a ticket-checker at the top of the escalator, who was annoyed that I was just looking around, and rudely sent be back downstairs.
---
During PABT's worst era, on the main floor a husky, drugged woman tried to sell me a ticket she had probably picked up off the floor. Not breaking my pace, I pointed to a corner and said "Police." She stumbled away.
---
Probably roaming PABT for photos nowadays would attract scammers and police in equal numbers.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica:

The "BLUE STAR" buses were those of SOMERSET; this company stands out in my mind as being the last to operate Old Looks into the PABT (very early 80's)

Though I saw SOMERSET buses many, many times through the years, I never got a chance to ride them.

The three photo links here depict both Old Looks and Fishbowls, including a PREVOST Champion.

These four coaches were unique, in that they were the first large PREVOST buses sold to a US operator (1968)

When Mom and I visited the "Port Of Authority" back in the 60's, the terminal still retained its sleek and original look, with its distinctive 8th Avenue facade and "moderne"-style shops.

During the summer of 1980, I was forced to commute through it daily, as PATH was in the midst of a summer-long strike.

Though of course I enjoyed riding on the classic coaches still being used (Maplewood Equipment Company) I felt increasingly leery and uncomfortable while passing through the terminal.

It certainly was NOT what I remembered growing up!

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1519

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1521

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1522

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word to the wise. That's all members of this board because you have to be wise enough to join. - LOL.

If you decide to go to see the turntable at the Hotel Carter, feel free to do so. When I stopped by on a Sunday, the hawker trying to get cars to park there let me go down there. He seemingly knew the history of the turntable.

Just don't stay in the hotel. According to several hotel website the joint is a sh*hole.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
A word to the wise. That's all members of this board because you have to be wise enough to join. - LOL.

If you decide to go to see the turntable at the Hotel Carter, feel free to do so. When I stopped by on a Sunday, the hawker trying to get cars to park there let me go down there. He seemingly knew the history of the turntable.

Just don't stay in the hotel. According to several hotel website the joint is a sh*hole.

Hart Bus:

Yes, from what I heard, the once-grand DIXIE is now fleabag best avoided..... Sad

AFAIK, the only other bus turntable in the New York metro area was located at Jersey City (CRRNJ terminal) and was used by B&O train connection buses until the B&O abandoned passenger service to New York in 1958.

The remains of this unique turntable were visible for years after its abandonment (the terminal itself closed down in 1967)......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution to the current PABT woes?

IMHO, even if the terminal was to greatly expand (a tremendous feat unto itself), there would still be the gridlock associated with the Lincoln Tunnel.

One might suggest that the tunnel's three tubes be used exclusively by buses during the rush hours, barring private autos and trucks.

Of course, a realistic person can easily see that such a scenario would never be feasible, for many reasons.

Now, another idea would be to build a separate set of tubes to be used exclusively by buses to and from the PABT; sounds like a reasonable idea, but, when one considers the many years of planning, designing, and, finally, construction, it is easy to see that it would be many, many years before such a grandoise project became a reality.

At present, the siutuation is indeed one that could be classified as "bieng stuck between a rock and a hard place".......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This nostalgic scene from the mid-50's shows a bus awaiting departure from the old PSNJ terminal that was used before the new GWB terminal opened in the early 60's.

That classic PS neon sign would certainly make for an outstanding museum piece today, had it survived......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4235

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 1950's scene at the old PSNJ terminal, near the GWB.

Here, we see A182 awaiting departure for its run on the "98 RIVER ROAD".........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4229

Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest "newsflash" about how PABT badly needs some TLC:

http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/11610807/port-authority-bus-terminal-beset-by-delays-and-decrepitude-set-for-260m?utm_source=MASS+NewsViews+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MASS140730002
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Latest "newsflash" about how PABT badly needs some TLC:

http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/11610807/port-authority-bus-terminal-beset-by-delays-and-decrepitude-set-for-260m?utm_source=MASS+NewsViews+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MASS140730002

The terminal has been neglected in too many ways for too many years now; the early 80's renovation/expansion certainly was not the great solution it was thought of at the time of its construction.

Whatever the solution (or partial solution) it certainly will come with a hefty price tag and years of construction.......(and, of course, delays and setbacks)........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From (1978?) "MOTOR COACH AGE" (issue not known, as cover is missing):

".......in 1945, a New York City ordinance, prohibiting the layover of suburban buses, on the books for many years, began to be strongly enforced, and DE CAMP was forced to close its Herald Square storefront terminal....."

"........this change in the official policy of the city began a process of deliberations that was to lead to a drastic change in the operations of North Jersey suburban buses into New York. The shift has ironic overtones in this era of virtually unregulated express bus service from Queens and Bronx points, not only using city streets to pick up and discharge passengers, but also attracting traffic from the subways......"

".......in the meantime, during 1945, DE CAMP revised its New York services via the Lincoln Tunnel, to avoid en-route delays caused by New York traffic....."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another mid-1950's scene at the old PSNJ station at W. 168th; in this photo, we see G504 loading before starting yet another run across the soaring GWB into New Jersey.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4228

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's certainly a lot of nostalgia in this timeless scene just outside of the PABT, back in 1972.

Notice, also, the rows of RED & TAN Fishbowls parked in the lot next to the church, on the right.

Truly a familiar scene, for so many of us "old timers"......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1497

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: