BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another one bites the dust - LIB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Another one bites the dust - LIB Reply with quote

I guess it was a burst radiator, it happened to me once before. The buzzer sounds and the bus starts smelling like maple syrup and pretzels, which means a hose or the radiator burst.
Good thing I was getting off anyway, because just as I did, the bus shut down. Happened last time as well, but this time at least I didn't have to wait an hour for the next bus.
In both cases these were Cummins buses, actually only numbers apart.
Last time it was bus 213 and today it was bus 218.
Anyway, as I got off fine white smoke started pouring out of the back of the bus, frustrating though because it didn't come out in the picture.

An hour later I check it out again, the tow truck has arrived and they are "mopping up" the spill of coolant.

In case your wondering what an overheated Cummins L10G engine looks like....

That bus was supposed to do the 2:54pm N27 out of Glen Cove, they never got another bus so those folks had to wait for the 4:04pm.
So if you missed the 1:54pm you were stuck in till 4:04pm, but that still aint as bad as the S92 (but close....).
Laughing
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know why those Cummins L10G/Allison B400R O5 CNGs are bombing out more than ever.

They're WAY overused compared to the ones with Cummins L10G/ZF-Ecomat 4HP-500, which are "used when they feel like it".

That's why they OWN Nassau. I mean that's why #100-105, 109-112, 119, 126-128 own Nassau and the rest don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A wrote:
I know why those Cummins L10G/Allison B400R O5 CNGs are bombing out more than ever.

They're WAY overused compared to the ones with Cummins L10G/ZF-Ecomat 4HP-500, which are "used when they feel like it".

That's why they OWN Nassau. I mean that's why #100-105, 109-112, 119, 126-128 own Nassau and the rest don't.

Nah, I've seen plenty of breakdowns with those, ESPECIALLY in the summer, they constantly overheat with the a/c on. Plus they are SLOW. They do sound nice though, but that's just about the only plus with those buses.
I think the 288-356 batch are the most reliable. For some reason the newer batch, esp the 400s, are not in as good of shape, they really drag with the a/c on but make that cool "growling sound". What I'd really like to see is the engine that's in 399 be the engine that comes on the order of new buses. The John deere CNG eats all the other engines for lunch and has room for more!
BTW I see plenty of Economat buses, the N43, the N94 Woodbury Shuttle, plus they are on some N22 and N27 runs as well. They are all at Mitchell though.
The best buses though are now retired, the 600 series diesel Orion V's with the 6V92, those were my favorite. Never got stuck on one of them.
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A wrote:

Nah, I've seen plenty of breakdowns with those, ESPECIALLY in the summer, they constantly overheat with the a/c on. Plus they are SLOW. They do sound nice though, but that's just about the only plus with those buses.
I think the 288-356 batch are the most reliable. For some reason the newer batch, esp the 400s, are not in as good of shape, they really drag with the a/c on but make that cool "growling sound". What I'd really like to see is the engine that's in 399 be the engine that comes on the order of new buses. The John deere CNG eats all the other engines for lunch and has room for more!
BTW I see plenty of Economat buses, the N43, the N94 Woodbury Shuttle, plus they are on some N22 and N27 runs as well. They are all at Mitchell though.
The best buses though are now retired, the 600 series diesel Orion V's with the 6V92, those were my favorite. Never got stuck on one of them.

Well if you want 6v92 action in LI, go to Huntington and look for some 500-series 1992 Gillig Phantoms. There are only 1-2 left!

And you know that LIB STILL has 600s left for LIRR service only, even a 500 Orion 5 as a guard bus! Well if LIRR does a 1:35am Hicksville-Montauk local bus G.O. like they did last year, pray for a 4+ hour ride on a 600!!

As for the Zfs, I've only had ONE incident in which the engine shut off due to the driver stopping WAY short, which is unbelievable, since the 4HP-500's 1st gear is quite low. The Allison's B400R's 1st gear causes breakdowns....why not a 1st-gear disabler like the HT-748?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct about HART not having many 500 series left.

Bus 502 and 505 were put up on E-bay by the Town of Huntington. Bus 502 was described as driveable but not roadworthy. From pictures it looked like it was cannibalized to keep several other 500's on the road, without having to buy replacement parts. Bus 505 was described as basically a shell.

Neither bus got a bid. Several days later I talked to a driver in a local deli. He said that they had just towed 3 buses out of the garage. Probably the above two vehicles plus another 500 series bus.
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
You are correct about HART not having many 500 series left.

Bus 502 and 505 were put up on E-bay by the Town of Huntington. Bus 502 was described as driveable but not roadworthy. From pictures it looked like it was cannibalized to keep several other 500's on the road, without having to buy replacement parts. Bus 505 was described as basically a shell.

Neither bus got a bid. Several days later I talked to a driver in a local deli. He said that they had just towed 3 buses out of the garage. Probably the above two vehicles plus another 500 series bus.

O please stop it.....I have yet to get dibs on #501 on the H-6!!!

Do you know ANYONE who can track down #501 on a daily basis, even Saturdays?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: