BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Happy (belated) Birthday to Mr. "L"!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Mr."L"

These three old views are from my files:

"Right, Mac....the Green Line DOES go to HOBOKEN!" Wink

Enjoy! Very Happy

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?478

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?638

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?640

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)

NYO,

These photos certainly bring back fond memories for me considering that I drove both buses many many times in my three summers with the company.

Photo # 478; Green Bus Lines fleet# 324 - a 1950 45 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TDH 4509 and one of thirty-five likenesses numbered from 311 to 345.

An side about the delivery of these buses in December of that year; GM was so backed up on deliveries and so short of delivery chauffeurs that by agreement between the UAW and Local 1179 fifteen Green Line drivers and one or two mechanics were flown to Detroit to pick up half of the order (seen below brand new in a public relations photo taken at Borough Hall in Kew Gardens are the entire fleet of the 4509's - photo courtesy of GBLRebel.

Photos # 638 and 640 of Hoboken Transportation Company #7;

#7 was ex Green Line # 112 - a 1954 45 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TDH 4512 and one of fifteen likenesses numbered 101 to 115.

In 1967, half of this group were sold to local New Jersey operators and the other half went to Kent State University in Ohio to begin their very successful Campus Bus Service (CBS) with their # 1134 seen in the lower frame.

Of note on # 1134 are the addition of a water filled bumper which was part of a federally sponsored test program and an intake just below the right floor vent under the windshield for the connection of a hot water pump for freeze prevention during outside storage on winter nights.

An interesting factoid about the 4512; among the most popular GM Coach models ever sold with nearly 3300 on the books, the only New York City based operator to buy the hydraulic version was Green Line.

The reason may have been two fold in that there was a saturation of 4509's (especially among the Omnibus affiliates) at the time the 4512's were introduced and the 40 foot long narrow gauge 5104's were being gobbled up very quickly in the city.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Aaaahh, to think this humble "Joisey Boy" was fortunate enough to ride on a "Joisey" bus that you once piloted in "Noo Yawk"! Very Happy

Was VERY fascinated by the water-filled bumpers on #1134......cool trivia!

And, as usual, the vintage photos which you shared with us.......WOW!!!!!!!

LOVED those Old Looks!! Very Happy

"NYO"
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about how honored I feel knowing that I drove some of the same buses that Mr "L" drove. I didn't know that until I joined Bus Talk.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
Think about how honored I feel knowing that I drove some of the same buses that Mr "L" drove. I didn't know that until I joined Bus Talk.

Mr. "L" is indeed a "living legend" here....I truly regard him as our highly respected "Elder Statesman"........this fine gentleman is, without a doubt, a walking encyclopedia (all 24 volumes!) on bus history, trivia, and historical data, and who is never too busy to help out with a frustrating "stumper", or, simply to share some of great old bus memories.

This forum is all the richer for his being here!

"NYO"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fellow colleagues here at BusTalk;

I am speechless but have prepared a statement anyway.

My success here for what it has been worth would have amounted to naught had it not hinged upon the tremendous support that you've all shown me over the years and for which I am so grateful.

I have learned far more here than I have taught and for that I will remain in debt to all of you.

But, most importantly, the friendships that I've made here and the professionalism that pervades this board are most precious to me.

With much love and regard,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Right back at you, my friend! Wink

You given nothing less than 110% of yourself on this board.....and we are all the richer for it! Very Happy

"NYO"
gmnewlook

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't been here these last few days, but I want to take this opportunity to wish Mr. L a very happy birthday and seeing all the vintage stuff to a transit history buff like myself is wonderful.

Cheers!! Cool
Q65A

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated happy birthday to our beloved historian (and fellow Queens native) Mr. L!!!
If I could e-mail you a birthday cake, the icing would be light green and cream, with red accents Smile
Many healthy, happy returns!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: