BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[CT] Two buses at Branford museum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: [CT] Two buses at Branford museum Reply with quote

On April 26, 2014, I visited the Shore Line Trolley Museum, which is in the towns of East Haven and Branford, Connecticut. I saw three GM buses in outdoor storage there. Below are photos of two. In pelting rain, I could not get near the third one. Would someone identify the models? Many thanks. Joe McMahon
---

---

---

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed a chance to meet a fellow Bus-Talker last Saturday. I was set to go up on Saturday for Members Day, but my back went out on me the previous Tuesday and by Friday, it was apparent that it wasn't going to measurable improve without going to a chiropractor so I had to pull the plug.

The bus you so nicely photographed is a TDH-4512, serial number 278 delivered to ConnCo in May of 1958 and was given fleet number 1261

The other bus you photographed is a TDH-5105, serial number 1491 delivered to ConnCo in August of 1955 and given fleet number 1491.

The bus you could see which is hopefully under wraps is also a TDH4-4512 serial number 2785 delivered to ConnCo in May 1958 and was given fleet number 1257.

At one time the museum also had a ConnCo fishbowl # 2021 a TDH-4517 serial number 1720 delivered new in September 1962.. It was left to decay to point that vegetation was growing up through the floor. It was given to Double A transport in exchange for a tow truck. What happened to the bus is unknown since Double A is no longer in business.

If you check the Photo Galleries elsewhere on this site you will see other pictures of these buses
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connecticut # 1491 exemplifies the steel work that replaced the original aluminum sheet metal (done in production) on parts of the roofs and window supports to prevent hair line stress cracks that were plaguing New York City's 4510's.

Connecticut did receive fifty of these 5105's numbered from 1450 and 1499 between 1954 and 1955.

Nice photos,

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Bill D

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

This may be the other bus that you spotted at Branford. 928 is a 1939 Yellow Coach, Model 731, serial number 440. The temporary roof was installed to protect the vehicle roof from further deterioration which occurred when the bus was in the possession of the Smithsonian Institution.

I believe that I met you when you were signing up to operate at Branford that day (I was one of the people taking names), but I didn't realize who you were. I hope that you had an enjoyable time there in spite of the weather.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: