BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PARK ROW, 1946/"Bit Players", etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few vintage views from underneath the 3rd Avenue El in the Bronx (1960's/early 70's).......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?43102

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?28692

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?28686

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremont Avenue, 1973.

Like the 3rd Avenue train itself, the Fishbowl, on its appointed rounds beneath the elevated, has also been scarred by the scourge of grafitti......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2744

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third Avenue and 143rd St., 1955.......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?75754

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This timeless circa-1956 photo of an IRT shuttle train at Anderson Avenue in the Bronx is one that has much appeal for both subway buffs and bus enthusiasts; would be interesting to find out more about the beefy intercity coach parked just in front of the school bus.

Yet another classic scene once taken for granted.......sure wish I had been there, on that day!

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?36426

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another outstanding 1950's scene at Anderson Avenue, with an IRT train rumbling by overhead.

I believe that the bus on the left is an INTER-CITY LINES coach ("The Brown Bus With The Orange Band"); the unidentified bus in front of it is another vintage classic, obviously on a charter run......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?40711

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
This timeless circa-1956 photo of an IRT shuttle train at Anderson Avenue in the Bronx is one that has much appeal for both subway buffs and bus enthusiasts; would be interesting to find out more about the beefy intercity coach parked just in front of the school bus.

Yet another classic scene once taken for granted.......sure wish I had been there, on that day!

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?36426

(courtesy nycsubway.org)

NYO,

The 'beefy' intercity coach that you mention was of C.D. Beck manufacture in Sidney, Ohio.

They made some mark in the business in the forties and fifties but could never be considered a contender.

Mack bought the company at some point in the fifties thinking of going the intercity route but that never worked out.

The only operator that I knew of that used these Becks in New York was Ridgewood Coach on the Brooklyn/Queens border.

What is more interesting to me is the Ford school bus behind the Beck; which was operated by Children's Bus Service (CBS) which at the time was the largest contractor for the Board Of Education in the five boroughs.

The interest is the fact that in all my years on the boards, this is only the second photo of a CBS that I've seen which has mystified me because there were hundreds and hundreds of these buses all over the city and you'd think that more would have been caught on film.

CBS went out of business about 1965 and the franchises were divided up between several companies including Green Bus Lines who created Varsity Coach for the occasion.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Glad you found this photo noteworthy; as always, greatly appreciate your historical input!

I THOUGHT that the bus was a BECK, but was not 100% sure; for a moment or two I thought it might be a PDA/PGA/PD coachThe rounded rear had hints of the Flx Clippers of that era.

In regards to the CBS school bus; if regular transit buses were virtually ignored by most folks, rest assured that school buses were even more disregarded.

Again, few thought about how today's commonplace would soon become tomorrow's rarity......

"NYO"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Mr. "L":

Glad you found this photo noteworthy; as always, greatly appreciate your historical input!

I THOUGHT that the bus was a BECK, but was not 100% sure; for a moment or two I thought it might be a PDA/PGA/PD coachThe rounded rear had hints of the Flx Clippers of that era.

In regards to the CBS school bus; if regular transit buses were virtually ignored by most folks, rest assured that school buses were even more disregarded.

Again, few thought about how today's commonplace would soon become tomorrow's rarity......

"NYO"

NYO,

Much of what Beck built very closely resembled Yellow/GM equipment but since I posted the above and read your reply, I took a better look at the photo and noticed something that was only of GM design and that would be the New York required fresh air intake nest over the first passenger window.

That, and the fact that the window configuration is identical to GM's PD 3700 line leads me to a mind change in favor of a GM.

I guess I can make a mistake once in a while!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Even highly respected experts in the field, such as yourself, are entitled to an "oops moment" once in awhile!

As I said, I was not only leaning towards a BECK, but also, a late YELLOW/GM coach.

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes the hobby so interesting! Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L"/All:

Dug this rare view from my files.

This circa-1950 photo from Brooklyn shows a school bus stopped just behind a PCC streetcar.

Obviously, the photographer cared nothing about the "humdrum" school bus just behind the streetcar!

The old-time street cleaner and well-dressed mothers with baby carriages further add charm to this nostalgic scene from a world long since vanished.....

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?30918

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
JimmiB

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school bus is a Reo. I think they all had that rounded grille throughout the 40's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
The school bus is a Reo. I think they all had that rounded grille throughout the 40's.

JimmiB:

A good friend of mine, who lives upstate and has driven a school bus for some 15-odd years now, said the same thing when he saw this picture when I sent it to him.

REO also built transit buses for a time; NORTH SHORE once operated two 1945 96-HDT's

The ones I remember long, long ago in New Jersey were operating for Jersey City's LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE.......

"NYO"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

There was a time when REO was a premiere (and most expensive) School Bus Chassis builder (thanks to Ransom Eli Olds who was a pioneer in the business).

Attached is a typical spec sheet for their most noted model of the forties.

I don't remember off hand as to whether Children's Bus Service in New York ever had REO equipment.

Photos courtesy of Autolit.com

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr."L":

Many thanks for your latest contribution!

HAVE to forward this to my school bus-drivin'; buddy upstate....he's sure to be quite interested!

In regards to the old Brooklyn photo I posted yesterday; if you are not sure if CBS ever operated REO buses, then, perhaps, the bus behind the streetcar was operated by a private outfit?

IMHO, school buses were.....and are......a vital part of New York's daily pulse, and, it is sad to think that virtually no pictures exist of them, during thier many, many years of plying the streets of The Big Apple, carrying youngsters to and from school.

Surely, there HAD to be school bus enthusiasts in New York, even though they must have been very much in the minority......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Here is a still from the 1964 Peter Seller's comedy, "The World Of Henry Orient", which was filmed on location in Manhattan.

In this still, we get the added bonus of a NYCTA coach in the background....... Wink

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_132838-Chevrolet-B-Series-1962.html

(courtesy of imcdb.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: