BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The PABT As It Was: A Nostalgic Look Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO...thanks again for the links....
I have been able to use the trick of copying the angelfire links into the address bar, rather than clicking directly on your links to successfully open them...unfortunately, the one of the turbine powered Eagle did not work...it gave some kind of error message.
That said, I rode the very first trip of 29511, an ABL model '05' Silver Eagle, built in 1969, that was equipped with a Ford gas turbine engine. With a lot of hoopla, it departed the Port on ABL trip number 11, at 2:00 P.M., from Gate 21, destined to Los Angeles. It was driven by veteran ABL operator Don Martin, who had no previous training on this bus. Aboard were various CTS officials, CTS and Ford technician's, some local press, and some revenue passengers. The bus had a standard four speed Spicer constant mesh transmission, and was near impossible to shift without grinding gears. Don was very relieved to reach his relief point in Pittsburgh.
I rode it all the way to Effingham, Illinois. I still have a souvenir
gold aluminum keychain that is lettered: "You're riding on the world's first turbine powered bus."

The bus was shortly repowered with a standard Detroit 8v-71. Later that year, Greyhound started testing an MC-7 with an Allison gas turbine, that was coupled with an Allison automatic. It was more successful, and Greyhound later built several more MC-8's that were sponsored by the US Department of Energy in around 1973. After the dismal fuel economy returned by these experiments, not much was heard in the way of turbine powered buses for a long time....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You're quite welcome!

Speaking of the turbine-powered Eagle coach; recall, too, what was probably the FIRST experimental turbine bus; the oft-forgotten TDH-4512 "TURBOCRUISER", on exhibit in Chicago in 1955.

The tests proved that the engine ran too hot, and was far too fuel inefficient, even though it ran very quietly.

Another problem was that it proved difficult to control.

After the exhibition, the bus was converted top a straight diesel, and was sold to MARTIN LINES in Royal Oak, Michigan, were it ran for many years........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver/All:

A bit off-topic, but I think this might be of interest......

"NYO"

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/06/07/gettin-steamed-on-the-bus/

(courtesy of Hemmings)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREYHOUND's MC-8 turbine coach.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19126773@N08/6033163173/

(courtesy of jjstep)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! I had forgotten all about that earlier GM transit....
coincidentally, Greyhound called the MC-7 turbo's, "Turbocruiser's", also...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last turbine powered experiment, was those Designline transit's that the MTA tested with the underpowered Capstone turbine...another failure...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Great stuff! I had forgotten all about that earlier GM transit....
coincidentally, Greyhound called the MC-7 turbo's, "Turbocruiser's", also...

traildriver/All:

Check out the photos under "The Turbine Generation".......

"NYO"

http://theoldmotor.com/?tag=automobile-factories/&paged=6

(courtesy of The Old Motor)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You keep amazing me, NYO, with the great stuff you find! Thanks!
As for auto use of turbines, that 'Firebird' was the first of four future Firebird turbine cars that GM was developing. Later on, like many experimental GM cars, the Firebird name was taken by Pontiac Division for its version of the Camaro...

At around the same time, Chrysler was also testing turbine powered Plymouth's and Dodge's. Their extensive program finally resulted in the beautiful Chrysler Turbine Car. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car
Comedian Jay Leno, acquired the only powered car still in private ownership for his famous collection...

As for Ford...besides powering that one-off CTS Eagle, they installed their turbine powerplant in a experimental cab-over-engine tractor they called "Big Red"....

And Chevy had a neat one too.... http://jalopnik.com/battle-of-the-experimental-turbine-trucks-1258162396
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Hey, all I can say is, "I try!" Wink

I also enjoyed the links you provided; the front-end treatment of the Chrysler Turbine Car always reminded me of my old '64 Dodge Dart (with "Torque-Flite" push-button transmission!)

Our little "side trip" onto discussing the turbine powered-buses of old only further emphasises just how diverse the bus industry was, back in the day.

In going back to the PABT, one cannot help but think of the wide variety of buses that have been rumbling in and out of the echoing structure for over sixty years.......Old Looks, Fishbowls, New Looks, Whites, Macks, ACF-Brills, Scenicruisers, Eagles, MCI's, Neoplans, NABIS........indeed, a veritable parade of bus history!

How many carriers I knew so well growing up are now "Fallen Flags".....PSNJ, North Hudson Boulevard, Orange & Black, Manhattan Lines, Red & Tan, Inter-City, Lincoln Transit.......so much a feast for the eyes (and ears), way back in the Good Old Days......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus storage yards outside of the PABT, for decades, always provided bus fans with something else to watch when passing through; in this nostalgic scene from 1972, we see a TNJ (still in full PSNJ regalia) "Buffalo" (603A) signed for Cape May.

Note the rows of RED & TAN Fishbowls awaiting the PM rush; the front of a GREYHOUND MC-6 can just be glimpsed as well.

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I've seen such views over the decades; imagine my surprise when, just a few years ago, I discovered that my Dad was christened in the church seen on the left, in 1907!

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1497

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast-forwarding to 1981, we see an ex-PSNJ Fishbowl signed for the "200 PARK RIDE", outbound from the PABT; the buses assigned to this new run in the late 60's recieved a special front end paint job, as seen here.

I remember seeing these buses stabled at the now-closed Union City garage (then locally known as "the carbarns")

Yet another example of the little touches of "flair" once commonplace with many companies......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2313

traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
The bus storage yards outside of the PABT, for decades, always provided bus fans with something else to watch when passing through; in this nostalgic scene from 1972, we see a TNJ (still in full PSNJ regalia) "Buffalo" (603A) signed for Cape May.

Note the rows of RED & TAN Fishbowls awaiting the PM rush; the front of a GREYHOUND MC-6 can just be glimpsed as well.

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I've seen such views over the decades; imagine my surprise when, just a few years ago, I discovered that my Dad was christened in the church seen on the left, in 1907!
http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1497

"NYO"
Another great one! Love that MC-6 Supercruiser heading for The Port...going on a run to Philly...one of the few runs the 102" buses could be legally used at that time. They could also be used on the nonstop Thruway runs to Buffalo and Toronto (and on across Canada). Eagle also had a 102" model '07', that Safeway Trails (CTS) used on its Philly runs.

I walk down that block almost every day....I park some inbound buses at some layover spots on 11th Avenue or 40th Street, and walk back to The Port.....very nostalgic.... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Like you, these old scenes sure do bring back great memories.....my only regret is that I cannot travel back in time to see it all again!

What variety was still so commonplace, back then.....there were then so many old companies still in existence, so many now-classic buses still in operation....no wonder bus enthusiasts were busy taking so many photos in those days!

My late brother Joe (an avid fisherman) used to tell me that, if he were going fishing out on Long Island with some retired guys who had moved out to "The Island" on a Sunday, he would catch an early bus from Union City to the PABT, go to Mass at the old Gothic church adjacent to the bus yard, and then wait for his buddies to pick him up.

This was during the late 60's and the early to mid-70's.

Going home, he did the same thing in reverse (that is, unless he caught a good amount of fish on his little jaunt!)

Sometimes he went via RED & TAN; other times, via ORANGE & BLACK.

Man, it's a lifetime ago........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another great view from 1972, showing the rows of RED & TAN buses laying over near the PABT.

Front and center, here, is DOMENICO Fishbowl #87.

DOMENICO, like R&T and PSNJ, is now but a "Fallen Flags".....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2298

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush hour at "The Port", 1981! Very Happy

Not a single white "shoe box" in sight! Rolling Eyes

Here we see a several MANHATTAN LINES Fishbowls, as well as one of their "Buffalos"; note the school flashers mounted on the outbound ex-PSNJ/TNJ Fishbowl.

By this late date, Old Looks had vanished from the PABT, with the exception of those of SOMERSET; even then, they were on borrowed time.

(look carefully in the gloom beneath the overpass; you can just see the rear of a R&T Fishbowl with its engine hatched raised)

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2359

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: