BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The PABT As It Was: A Nostalgic Look Back
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: The PABT As It Was: A Nostalgic Look Back Reply with quote

All:

These wonderful old photos are sure to bring back memories to those of us old enough to remember the days when the "Port Of Authority" (as it was known to many locals in my area at the time) was still a handsome, stylish facility, and when commuters still dressed in business attire.

Back in the early and mid-60's, Mom and I used this bustling facility often; it was exciting to see the well-dressed folks scurrying about during the rush hours, and seeing Old Looks, Fishbowls, Whites, Macks, and ACF-Brills rumbling in and out.

I well remember the huge Christmas balls that hung down from the high ceiling over the main concourse, which always added a cheery, festive, holiday air.

Mom loved the smart shops; my favorite, of course, was "HOBBY MART", on the main level! Wink

Who would have though that, by the 70's, the terminal would become a mecca for unsavory characters and shady doings, and that, by the 80's, "renovations" would take place that would forever mar the dignity and the handsome profile of what was once hailed "The Most Beautiful Bus Terminal In The World".
Sad
Hope these old views bring back good memories for you, also; (the "PUBLIC TELEPHONE ATTENDED SERVICE" area seems especially quaint today!) Very Happy

Also, note the "EIGHTH AVENUE COACH COMPANY" Old Look in one 1950's view....an added bonus! Wink

"NYO"

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=292236

(courtesy of SubChat)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO,

Nice photos - especially the one I have showcased below not so much because of fleet # 2879 - a 1949 44 passenger GM Coach Model TDH 4509 operating for the Eighth Avenue Coach Corporation, but for the interesting early fifties Chevrolet Station Wagon Taxi's seen in the background.

This was the first trial balloon hoisted by the then fledgling City Taxi and Limousine Commission to rid the streets of the limousine length De Soto SkyViews (one seen aside the bus) - as though the one extra foot and change would really have made any difference in reducing traffic congestion!

While the Chevy wagons were very practical and comfortable with plenty of room in the rear for luggage and even steamer trunks, they did not fair well and were short lived to be replaced by smaller and uncomfortable Ford, Chevy and Plymouth standard sedans.

BTW; Eighth Avenue's 4509's were the last to carry that flag.

Another BTW; it was about the time that this photo was taken that my friends and I took a NJPS GM TDM 5108 on route 118 from the terminal to Newark to see an auto show featuring Hitler's staff car!

Regards,

Photo credited in previous post.

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L": Yep, as I'm also an enthusiasts of vintage taxis, I sure caught those unusual Chevy station wagon cabs!

The "Skyview" cabs were seen hundreds....perhaps thousands of times.......over the years, in the many movies that were filmed in the city through the 40's and into the 1950's.

They seemed as much a part of New York as the subway and the Statue Of Liberty!

In my day, I rememeber when New York cabs still were attired in a rainbow of color schemes......the classic "Checkers" certainly come tro mind as I type these words!

Did you also catch the vintage "two light" (red and green) traffic signal?

Man, I haven't seen one of those in ages!

Back in the 60's, I remember this HUGE clear tank that was filled with flowing water (I suspect this was part of the terminals a/c system), seen on the right-hand side as soon as your bus entered the terminal......it was always interesting to get a quick glimpse!

I used to love seeing all the buses parked in the layover yards adjacent to the terminal ramps.....there was always something to catch your interest.

During rush hours, the "Port" provided a non-stop show for bus enthusiasts of all ages.......with so many different makes and models of buses coming and going, resplendent in the classic colors of the now "Fallen Flags".

Today, with NJT dominating the show, and buses that have about as much appeal as a shoe box, there is very little variety to catch the eye, a far cry from the spectacular show brought to you in "Living Color", 50 years back!

I still recall a large scale (and QUITE expensive!) radio-controlled Fishbowl sitting in the display window of "Hobby Mart", back in the 60's.......boy, I STILL dream about it today!

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photo's of the 'glory days' of the old PABT almost made me weep with nostalgia.....thanks so much, NYO for providing that link. It only made me want to see much more. What memories they jolted in this 'old-timer', having spent most of the years from 1968 to the present working in that building.
And going back as far as 1957, when as a ten year old, I took my first solo long haul bus trip on a Trailways of New England PD-4103 from there to Worcester, Ma., to visit relatives.

And speaking of variety, what would I give to see them roll out the red carpet on Gate 21, for the dramatic boarding of the Golden Eagle, Five Star Luxury Service on Continental Trailways (American Buslines), to Los Angeles, arguably, the most prestigious departure of all from that great facility.... Smile
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO,

This one's for you!

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver;

You are quite welcome! Wink

As a young lad, my Mom had an old end table in our living room; it was wooden, and had a streamlined curved front (with a lower tier), that, at my tender age, reminded me of the sleek 8th Avenue facade of the "Port-of-Authority".

When Mom bought a new table, I asked her if I could have the old one.

She laughed, but told me it was mine! Very Happy

I used to line up my extensive fleet of toy buses (in as good a size order as I could get) on the tabletop and lower tier, imitating the PABT.

Then, as a bonus, I had a huge cardboard roll, that I kept after we got a new carpet for the front room (I used to pretend that dark green rug was the Hudson River and New York Bay, but that's another story!) that I propped up against the flat end of the table.

This became the Lincoln Tunnel (one tube only!) and I used to roll the buses (those that would fit!) through the tube to the "New Jersey" side, where the buses stopped to pay tolls at the Plasticville toll booths I'd set up there.

Of course, this was all accompanied by yours truly imitating the sounds of the buses, entering and leaving the "terminal".........dang, what a blast! Surprised

It's quite ironic that, as a young boy in the 60's, the "Port" was one of my favorite places to be, and a most exciting one at that.

By the 80's, when I commuted through it (if PATH was out) I couldn't wait to hightail it through there and grab the bus for home.

After 9/11, I felt even less safe. Sad

With the 8th Avenue facade now about as pleasing to the eye as a rusty Erector set, and the interior more atkin to a shopping mall, all I can say is that I'm most grateful for all the great childhood memories I have of this once-grand bus terminal......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you that I'm also a BIG vintage traffic signal fan!

Watching buses stop and go at street corners, waiting for the lights, for nearly 60 years (ouch!) it was not long before I became fascinated with the old traffic lights (in my area, when I was growing up, many still dated back to the 30's and 40's!)

I used to love the gold-painted "two lighters" on Fifth Avenue, with the little statues on top.....now THAT was CLASS!
Wink
Like today's buses, modern traffic lights don't do a thing for me....all the charm is gone. Sad

Not surprisingly, there were many toy traffic lights offered many years ago, plastic and die cast......and some even had functioning lights!

Several I have are of the old "two light" design.

Old Looks......SkyView cabs......"two lighter" traffic signals.......yeah, man! Very Happy

"NYO"

BTW:

THANKS for posting that great pic! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr."L"/All:

Just a little off-topic, but one I felt I should share with you..... Wink

"NYO"

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_140152-GM-PD-4151-1948.html

(courtesty of imcdb)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's PABT, hailed as ".......the fifth ugliest building in the world...." Sad

Small wonder........ Sad

Even after thirty years, I still wonder at the total lack of sense (not to mention good taste) that was behind the transformation of the PABT from "....the most beautiful bus terminal in the world....." to "......the fifth-ugliest building in the world...." Sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PABT_42nd%268th.JPG
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Earlier, you'd mentioned CONTINENTAL's luxurious "5 STAR SERVICE"......... Wink

"NYO"

http://www.angelfire.com/al3/biged1942/ABL-TT-5Star.jpg

(courtesy of Trailways Forever Memories)
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Back in the days, you go to a bus terminal anywhere in the country and there was always a gift shop. Does anyone knows if it's worth my time when I visit the city from St. Louis to visit the PABT with a gift shop in mind?

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Question: Back in the days, you go to a bus terminal anywhere in the country and there was always a gift shop. Does anyone knows if it's worth my time when I visit the city from St. Louis to visit the PABT with a gift shop in mind?

Frankie

frankie:

Good question!

I have not been in the PABT (or the city itself, for that matter, in over 11 years); however, I do seem to remember one or two gift ("novelty"?) shops on the second level.

Just don't be looking for any tin litho SCENICRUISER or EAGLE toys! Rolling Eyes

I remember that there were also a number of vendors with "pushcarts" and little kiosks selling all kinds of stuff, from toys and small gifts, to jewlery and other similiar items (of course, just about everything will bear a label reading "MADE IN CHINA"! Sad

Oh, well.......

"NYO"

BTW:

Back in the 60's, my Dad (a HUGE fan of westerns) liked to browse in a shop on the main level (near "HOBBY MART") called "TEEPEE TOWN".

They sold all sorts of Western and Native American items and it was a really cool place to browse.

In fact, for my Dad's 50th birthday in 1967, Mom and I bought him a cowboy hat there (I got to carry the box home to NJ aboard a North Hudson Boulevard Old Look on the #5 line!)

Aaaahhh, memories! Wink

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:37 am; edited 2 times in total
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Just don't be looking for any tin litho SCENICRUISER or EAGLE toys! Rolling Eyes

Shucky darn! You mean they stopped selling these? Crying or Very sad

I can definitely share the memories with you. We seem to be the same age and I am a product of Brooklyn and Mineola before moving to St. Louis in '69.

Here in St. Louis back in the '70's, we had both a Trailways and Greyhound terminal downtown (as with most large cities) and the gift shops were a haven for picking up model buses. Greyhound at the time had a great supply of the large size Jimson plastic buses. And Trailways were selling their 1/50 scale plastic Model 5's and then Model 10's before being absorbed into Greyhound.

Today there are no terminals. Instead we now have a transit center which serves both Greyhound, Metro Bus, Metrolink (light rail) and Amtrak. Unfortunately there are no gift shops.

My only source for current model buses is the small Greyhound terminal in Springfield, Mo. that I frequent when visiting relatives there. No gift shop, but they do have a supply of models behind the ticket counter.

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie:

For a number of years, I have been unable to travel, so ALL of my vintage toy bus (and vintage toy train) items are puchased via eBay (Lord knows what I've spent, over the past several years!) Shocked

Here, with a little browsing, you can still find some real bargains (most dealers are very fair, others, well, let's just say it would be wise NOT to deal with them....some can be offering buses that are ridiculously high in price, and certainly NOT worth it!) Sad

With the buses I've had since I was a kid, plus the ones I bought years ago at flea markets, toy shows, etc., and, more recently, off eBay, I am really astounded as to not only how much my collection has grown, but also, the great bargains I've found, just by leisurely browsing! Wink

You would be surprised at the unbelieveable number of SCENICRUISER versions alone, from Japanese toy makers.....the variety ranges from the ultra-realistic to the oddball, fantasamagoric tin wonders, a la a 1962 "Popular Science"! Shocked

Just imagine a "SCENICRUISER" with a rear-sloping front end, with the rear of the upper passenger area extending out over an open luggage rack on the first level! Shocked

This one HAS to be the most BIZZARE toy Hound in my collection! Shocked

Took me several years to find one that was not only AVAILABLE, but also, one I could AFFORD!! Wink (these are QUITE rare today)

From what I've read (and from old photos I've seen) GREYHOUND Post Houses were also great places to pick up toy buses, many years back.

One of the rarest is a HUGE "generic" 4104 wich is lettered for both "PENNSYLVANIA LINES" and "GREYHOUND".

The bus # is C 1451; obviously, this was something one could have purchased at a Post House (or terminal) somewhere in PA, back in the 50's (this big tin bus is just about 15" in length!)

I will admit that I paid what was (for me) a goodly sum ($125), but, the way I looked at it, when would I see another of these rare gems, and, IF I did, chances are that the price would be waaaaay out of my range.

It is, probably, the rarest toy GREYHOUND I have in my collection today.

I still have a very tiny friction SCENICRUISER (almost flat) that Mom bought for me in the old Woolworths that was near the old midtown GREYHOUND station, just across from the old Penn Station, over 50 years ago.

Man, what I could do if I even had only Donald Trump's pocket change.......(!!) Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

"NYO"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another great photo of Manhattan's Port Authority Bus Terminal taken on December 13th. 1950 when it was so new that the roof deck parking lot appears never to have been used yet.

The joy of the season is also very obvious over the front entry.

Photo courtesy of the Daily News Archive.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: