BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The PABT As It Was: A Nostalgic Look Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about a colorful scene on a busy day at the terminal.

Seen (foreground) awaiting its turn to load for the New Jersey home bound rush hour is fleet # 325 - a 1947 45 passenger Mack modeled as a C-45-GT and one of ten likenesses numbered 309 to 315 and 324 to 328 operating for Orange and Black Bus Lines of Fairview, New Jersey.

Notice that the depot is awash in 1940's equipment including more Macks, Whites and ACF's - this must have been paradise for bus fans of the day.

The same angle taken today would merely show a sea of white styrofoam boxes on wheels!

BTW; I'm not entirely certain that this is the PABT and , if it isn't, it's a great picture anyway!

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L"

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Talk about a JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

As I grew up with the ORANGE & BLACK (and my godmother also commuted into the city via the O&B, from the late 50's until she married in 1964), those MACKS really bring back great memories! Very Happy

I recall the MACKS lasting until at least the mid-60's before the were retired.

By that time, they no longer had "NEW YORK-CLIFFSIDE PARK" over the windows; likewise gone were the listing of communities served.

"UNION CITY", my old hometown, was also displayed on the bus sides.

The fancy script proclaiming "ORANGE & BLACK BUS LINES" stood out bold and stylish.

Yep, that's the PABT; clearly, this classic scene was caught on film not long after the terminal opened in 1950.

Since 1974, I have never lived more than a few blocks from a former O&B route, and, as you say, it's all white boxes these days.......the NABI's and Neoplan artics used today on the former O&B lines are about as exciting as a toaster! (I still remember the feeling of loss when the last of the ex-O&B coaches were retired about 1989, after NJT's VOLVO artics came on line)

When I was growing up, in an era when Fishbowls, Whites, Macks, and ACF-Brills were rumbling in and out of the terminal, it was indeed a rich feast for the eyes.....and the ears(!!).....for a young bus enthusiast! Smile

Again, THANK YOU for this MAGNIFICENT old view (sure wish it was accompanied by sound!) Shocked

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Agreed! Reply with quote

A great shot of the original upper bus level (since 1963, the middle bus level).

My only "Orange and Black" experience, was in the mid-sixties, when I was transported on a chartered O&B suburban from the Armed Forces Entrance and Examining Station at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, to JFK airport, as a new USAF recruit, to board my first flight, a Braniff B-707 to San Antonio.....
Remember it like it was the day before yesterday.... Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Agreed! Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
A great shot of the original upper bus level (since 1963, the middle bus level).

My only "Orange and Black" experience, was in the mid-sixties, when I was transported on a chartered O&B suburban from the Armed Forces Entrance and Examining Station at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, to JFK airport, as a new USAF recruit, to board my first flight, a Braniff B-707 to San Antonio.....
Remember it like it was the day before yesterday.... Wink

traildriver:

O&B did quite a lot of charter work many years ago; in fact a few of my grammar school field trips was via O&B, others were RED & TAN and DE CAMP (funny, bieng in heavy PSNJ territory, I never recall any of our class trips using them. Perhaps the school thought their rates were too expensive)

Many years ago, I founded a discarded "BUS LANE ONLY" (orange lettering/black background) in a dumpster outside of the O&B's old Fairview garage.

This rare treasure now hangs proudly on my bedroom/transit museum annex, reminding me of a colorful old company that has long since passed on into history.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Dug this out of my files....enjoy! Wink

"NYO"

http://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2010/07/a-red-carpet-ride-courtesy-of-continental-trailways/

Wow! That made my day! How I remember those 1963 Golden Eagles...they were very distinctive, with their floors rising towards the rear, and the extended, higher roofs, to provide adequate headroom in the rear. The shot of the hostess in the older, military style uniform looks like it could be inside one of those older, articulated "Super Golden Eagles", with the galley in the articulated section.....

I recall that when the new model 05 Golden Eagle's came out in around 1969 or '70, replacing the 1963 model's, the "poster girl" for the ads around the system was ABL hostess Bobbie Gavel, who was very photogenic....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
traildriver:

Dug this out of my files....enjoy! Wink

"NYO"

http://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2010/07/a-red-carpet-ride-courtesy-of-continental-trailways/

Wow! That made my day! How I remember those 1963 Golden Eagles...they were very distinctive, with their floors rising towards the rear, and the extended, higher roofs, to provide adequate headroom in the rear. The shot of the hostess in the older, military style uniform looks like it could be inside one of those older, articulated "Super Golden Eagles", with the galley in the articulated section.....

I recall that when the new model 05 Golden Eagle's came out in around 1969 or '70, replacing the 1963 model's, the "poster girl" for the ads around the system was ABL hostess Bobbie Gavel, who was very photogenic....

traildriver:

You are quite welcome! Wink

Looking at those photos, it is truly hard to fathom that these classic scenes were taken in our lifetime!

How much we have lost in just the last several decades!

The hostess sporting the earlier "military" uniform looks as though she could have been working aboard a DC-6 or a Constellation!

I recall seeing pictures from the early 70's of an Amtrak Turboliner (or Turbotrain?)

The train offered hostess service, and the smiling young lady posing in the vestibule was sporting white go-go boots, a la Nancy Sinatra! ("These Boots Are Made For Walkin")

Old photos like these also serve to remind us that we actually did not DREAM what we remember.....who ever thought that the day would come when both the SCENICRUISER and the EAGLES.....once so much a part of everyday life in America......would silently vanish forever down the one-way Highway Of Time.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A smiling, smart-looking 5 Star Hostess ready to welcome her passengers aboard(photo dates from 1963)

It was a whole other world.......

http://www.angelfire.com/al/silverball/Diana.jpg

(courtesy of Trailways Forever Memories)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:26 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were not for the EAGLE coaches in the background, one would think that this "crew" was serving aboard a 1960's era 707 or a DC-9............

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/947.jpg

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/949.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver/All:

This timeless view from the early 60's indeed personifies the term "red carpet treatment"!

The handsome EAGLE, dapper driver, stylish hostess, and well-dressed passengers are indeed images of a long-lost era in American bus travel.......today, it's hard to believe that there was ever such a time......

http://www.angelfire.com/al/silverball/bus/07.jpg

(courtesy of Bus Memories)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver/All:

This timeless view from the early 60's indeed personifies the term "red carpet treatment"!

The handsome EAGLE, dapper driver, stylish hostess, and well-dressed passengers are indeed images of a long-lost era in American bus travel.......today, it's hard to believe that there was ever such a time......

http://www.angelfire.com/al/silverball/bus/07.jpg

(courtesy of Bus Memories)

NYO, those are great shots....that last one, was of the earliest model Golden Eagles, from around 1958, when they were built in Germany by Kassbohrer Setra.

If you want to see the last model, the '05' Golden Eagle from 1970, you can see one 'live and in-person', complete with uniformed manakins of a driver and hostess, welcoming you, at the Museum of Bus Transportation at Hershey.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Glad you liked the links....I had the feeling you would! Wink

Here's a photo of the EAGLE on display at Hershey; note that the "hostess" is garbed in a pantsuit, clearly a "later day" fashion, before hostess service faded away forever.

Looking at the "driver", it comes as no surprise as to why, when I was a young lad, thought the men who piloted EAGLES and SCENICRUISERS across the country were every bit as commanding as a high-ranking military officer!

Yep, "hero worship" came so easily to us bus-infatuated youngsters, way back then......

"NYO"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aemays/7659108684/

(courtesy of Alan Mays)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Men Of Distinction".......

http://www.angelfire.com/al4/buscatal/photo/734.jpg

(courtesy of Trailways Forever Memories"......
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's we have rare view of the experimental turbine-powered 1969 EAGLE Model 05...........

http://www.angelfire.com/al/silverball/ABL-29511_EO5-Turbine.jpg

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO,

Unfortunately, any URL's that you send from 'angelfire' are not getting through to me.

All I get is a small angelfire logo on a black screen.

It may be that my protections, which are many fold, will not permit angelfire downloads but that's just a guess - I'm no computer expert!

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

NYO,

Unfortunately, any URL's that you send from 'angelfire' are not getting through to me.

All I get is a small angelfire logo on a black screen.

It may be that my protections, which are many fold, will not permit angelfire downloads but that's just a guess - I'm no computer expert!

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. "L":

It's not coming up from me, either. Sad

I can bring the photo up with no problem, but, when I post the link (and check the URL several times), it will not come up.

The other links I posted I tried and had no problem...I know traildriver has had no problem; wish you could see these!

Dang!

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: