BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling GREYHOUND's off street-loading days in Manhattan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, a bus fan by the name of Sol Zeller (I think he lived in Westchester County) who would post under the name King Solomon once posted a funny/tragic story about a Beck Scenicruiser. It seems that this particular vehicle was purchased used by someone who went into business for himself. One day while oh a charter, the bus pulls into a rest stop. He tells the gas jockey to fill it up and will settle up when he is done with his meal.

What the jockey didn't realize that the bus was not a GMC and the fuel pipe was in a different place. The pipe to empty the bathroom on a Beck was in the spot where the filler pipe for the fuel was. The jockey starts pumping while at the same time, someone was on "the throne". The passenger gets up and throws a lighted cigar down the latrine. The bus was incinerated in minutes. Roasted Chestnuts anyone ?[/img]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus:

A wise man once said:

".....truth is stranger than fiction....." Rolling Eyes

'nuff said! Laughing

Wonder if the unfortunate fellow using the restroom at the moment of doom got any $$$$ back from the company for damage to his "luggage".... Shocked

One can only imagine the "True Tales Of The Open Road" that the "old timer" drivers once shared with thier cohorts........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare "action" view of a BECK "Scenicruiser" (QUEEN CITY TRAILWAYS"); it is easy to see, how, to those not familiar with BECK coaches of this type, they could easily mistake this bus for a "Scenicruiser".

Though there are, of course, telltale details that we bus enthusiasts can spot right off the bat, the "Scenicruiser" aura is distinct and strong.

Note, too, the classic 1950's autos and the old Yankee Stadium, seen in the distance......

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/928.jpg

(courtesy of Trailways Forever Memories)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another highway coach of the 1950's that should be mentioned in this discussion is the oft-forgotten Flxible "VISTA LINER".

To me, it was basically a "shorty" Scenicruiser, but with only two axles and a more angular body.

CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS purchased 126 of the 208 built.

Scroll down to the 7th photo in this page, which features some truly magnificent highway coaches of the 1950's........

http://www.billvons.com/bus/buspage50.htm

(courtesy of The 1950's Bus Page)
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sol Zeller still posts to various Facebook bus groups. Some years ago, he posted to a number of the Yahoo bus groups. He had/has some great stories about the bus business.

Roy
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

Did a little searching, and came across the photo I was referring to in my previous post; here we see the unique deck-and-a-half ACF-BRILL originally operated by CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS, now operating for "PENN-JERSEY COACHWAYS" as a "GOLDEN CRUISER".

Too bad this unique bus wasn't preserved.....

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/982.jpg

(courtesy Trailways Forever Memories)

I believe I mentioned in another thread, quite some time ago, that I had the opportunity to take that one-of-a-kind coach for a 'test-drive', back in the mid 1970's....it was for sale by it's owner, and I was working for Continental Trailways at that time in Denver...
It was located on a farm in a suburb of Wichita. I was very impressed with it, and was seriously considering purchasing the rare and historic vehicle. I went back to Denver, and discussed it with one of our senior master mechanic's, who was experienced with ACF-Brills, and their Hall-Scott 'pancake' engines. He strongly voiced his opinion that I would be making a serious mistake in purchasing it, mainly due to lack of readily available parts. I followed his wise advice, and passed on the deal, which really was very reasonable....
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare "action" view of a BECK "Scenicruiser" (QUEEN CITY TRAILWAYS"); it is easy to see, how, to those not familiar with BECK coaches of this type, they could easily mistake this bus for a "Scenicruiser".

Though there are, of course, telltale details that we bus enthusiasts can spot right off the bat, the "Scenicruiser" aura is distinct and strong.

Note, too, the classic 1950's autos and the old Yankee Stadium, seen in the distance......

Those latest model Beck deck-and-half's were the closest anyone came to copying the Raymond Loewy styled Scenicruiser's.....so close, in fact, that I wonder if GL and/or GM might have brought some intellectual property litigation against Beck. If you recall, when the Scenicruiser's received their new paint scheme in the early '60's, after their rebuild by Marmon-Herrington with the 8v-71 Detroit replacing the twin 4's, there was a prominent circled R 'registered' mark on each corner of the forward upper deck. Not sure if that was to protect the design or what.....
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Cut and paste the links in question. They opened for me. Great photos!

That did the trick, thanks, Jimbo!
I had to do that for some, but not all of the other links provided by NYO on this thread...don't know why some work, while others require the extra step.....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

Those latest model Beck deck-and-half's were the closest anyone came to copying the Raymond Loewy styled Scenicruiser's.....so close, in fact, that I wonder if GL and/or GM might have brought some intellectual property litigation against Beck. If you recall, when the Scenicruiser's received their new paint scheme in the early '60's, after their rebuild by Marmon-Herrington with the 8v-71 Detroit replacing the twin 4's, there was a prominent circled R 'registered' mark on each corner of the forward upper deck. Not sure if that was to protect the design or what.....

traildriver:

Agreed!

That particular BECK was as close to a GM Scenicruiser as anyone was going to get; again, to the uninitiated, you'd have a hard time convincing them that what they were seeing was NOT a "genuine" Scenicruiser!

Regarding the Scenicruisers rebuilding and repainting in the early 60's, this was even reflected in the tin Japanese toy versions at that time.

I have three (in different sizes) that sport "SUPER SCENICRUISER" lettering, that date to the early 60's.

The new bold lettering was quite distinctive from the original lettering from the 1950's.......still handsome, nonetheless!

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
All:

Did a little searching, and came across the photo I was referring to in my previous post; here we see the unique deck-and-a-half ACF-BRILL originally operated by CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS, now operating for "PENN-JERSEY COACHWAYS" as a "GOLDEN CRUISER".

Too bad this unique bus wasn't preserved.....

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/982.jpg

(courtesy Trailways Forever Memories)

I believe I mentioned in another thread, quite some time ago, that I had the opportunity to take that one-of-a-kind coach for a 'test-drive', back in the mid 1970's....it was for sale by it's owner, and I was working for Continental Trailways at that time in Denver...
It was located on a farm in a suburb of Wichita. I was very impressed with it, and was seriously considering purchasing the rare and historic vehicle. I went back to Denver, and discussed it with one of our senior master mechanic's, who was experienced with ACF-Brills, and their Hall-Scott 'pancake' engines. He strongly voiced his opinion that I would be making a serious mistake in purchasing it, mainly due to lack of readily available parts. I followed his wise advice, and passed on the deal, which really was very reasonable....

traildriver:

A most interesting little "slice of life".....thanks for sharing!

The only problem is......do I laugh......or cry?? Laughing Crying or Very sad

Man, I'd go in hock to buy that magnificent piece of bus history and then find a safe location to store it........aaahhh, perchance to dream1

Just imagine that stunning coach at a museum today........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in looking back from this far away, I regret not having closed that deal, but it probably would have been a struggle for me at that time to support that probable 'money-pit'....

Just another of those interesting 'one-off's'. Another famous one that comes to mind was the PD-4901 'Golden Chariot', first tested by Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines. It also had a colorful history....IIRC, it is still around.....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

Just came across this; thought it would be of interest:

"How A Greyhound Scenicruiser Became A Trailways Scenicruiser For A Movie"........

"NYO"

http://cw42.tripod.com/chapter.html

(courtesy of Don's Greyhound Bus Memories)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 1950's add for the VISTA-LINER; again, SCENICRUISER influence is obvious, albiet on a much more subtle level than the BECK......

http://www.angelfire.com/al4/buscatal/photo/700.jpg

(*note this is an "angelfire" link)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Earlier, you mentioned the "Golden Chariot"; here are links to several pages for a GC promotional brochure.

As is obvious, it is basically a "stretch" version of the 4104; like the SCENICRUISER, it was equipped with dual rear axles.

Oddly enough, a number of Japanese tin litho toy buses (in two sizes) were offered in the late 50's, and early 60's, which were clearly "knock offs" of this unique coach.

The versions I have are for GREYHOUND, TRAILWAYS, US ARMY, US NAVY, and even a school bus version.

Front-end treatment, oddly enough, more resembles that of an AEROCOACH......

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/930.jpg

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/931.jpg

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/932.jpg

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/933.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two more views of the BECK "Scenicruiser"; iMHO, these look like a PD-4501 with a BECK front end grafted on.....

http://www.angelfire.com/al3/biged1942/455.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/al3/biged1942/456.jpg

(courtesy of Don's Greyhound Bus Memories)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: